The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a minor collision with a guardrail which has left me with some minor damage to the right rear and less minor damage to the front right. :facepalm Dealing with insurance, but I want to make sure the repairs are done right and I would love some advice from forum members.

Can someone recommend a shop in Orange County CA?

What should I look out for in this experience?

At what point is a clamshell replacement necessary?

I'll post pics soon. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I recommend specialty car craft. Its up by Beverly Hills but they specialize in Lotus and exotic cars. My car is in there now and they are very friendly and helpful and Henry keeps you updated every step of the way. They can also pick up and drop off your vehicle which is a big plus. Especially if you are Southern orange county. Hope this helps. More than likely they will have to replace the front clam. But they fully inspect the vehicle to make sure it's ok to drive. But give em a call Id recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Clam replacement won't be necessary for that. Actually, it won't even be an option though, because your car will be totaled if it comes to that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The story I've read about Specialty Car Craft has freaked me out.

I may check out Mulholland Motorsports, but they are a bit far from me.

I've had one positive referral for European Motor Car Works in Santa Ana. I can't find anything about them by searching the site, so... has anyone else had any experiences to share about them?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everyone's fine... I was cut-off mid-turn, spun and hit a guard rail.

I have just received an estimate for repair for just under $27K. Includes: Replace the front clam, headlamp, marker lamp, signal lamp, clear bra and repair the rear clam, replace the rear marker lamp and blend the adjacent panels to the front clam for a color match.

Any opinions on this?

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
You have pm. I won't go into the details but there is only one shop you've mentioned here that I would take my vehicle and it starts with an M. Call me if you want more information.

San

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Everyone's fine... I was cut-off mid-turn, spun and hit a guard rail.

I have just received an estimate for repair for just under $27K. Includes: Replace the front clam, headlamp, marker lamp, signal lamp, clear bra and repair the rear clam, replace the rear marker lamp and blend the adjacent panels to the front clam for a color match.

Any opinions on this?
The title of your thread is "Minor Collision ................" $27k later ouch

·
Registered
972 Posts
+1 for Mulholland Motorsports, Julio's work is EXCELLENT - definitely worth the trip and *NO* hassles with insurance (for me anyway with GEICO).

·
Registered
2006 BRG Elise - The best color
319 Posts
I've had work done at both European Motorcar and Mulholland. Both did very good work, though given the choice, I'd bring it to Mulholland. European works on Astons and Jaguars and was recommended by Newport European. They did a very good job but seemed rather expensive despite the fact that insurance was covering it and was before I knew Mulholland existed. Julio at Mulholland did excellent work and seemed more reasonable price-wise. I've been back to Mulholland a couple of times since.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I've had work done at both European Motorcar and Mulholland. Both did very good work, though given the choice, I'd bring it to Mulholland. European works on Astons and Jaguars and was recommended by Newport European. They did a very good job but seemed rather expensive despite the fact that insurance was covering it and was before I knew Mulholland existed. Julio at Mulholland did excellent work and seemed more reasonable price-wise. I've been back to Mulholland a couple of times since.
One of those places suck. It starts with E. The other place is great. It starts with M.

One of those places I'd never go back to and was recommended. It starts with E. The other place I'd gladly go back to. It starts with M.

San

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Clam replacement won't be necessary for that. Actually, it won't even be an option though, because your car will be totaled if it comes to that.
One clam does not total an Elise. I just went through this process. However, two clams, clear bra, rocker panel and door will....paint, etc....
Take the agreed value and get an Exige.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All Better Now! (a long time ago)

I know this thread is old, but since I am now selling the car, I thought I better make an update.

Shortly after my last post, I got a hold of Julio at Mulholland Motorsports - and I'm glad I did. He worked with my insurance and made the car perfect again.

The damage to the right rear was repaired to perfection and the front clam was replaced... to perfection. Great guy and great shop :nanner:

I'll post pics in the sale thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts