The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
not your dad's puns
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I know that blind spot solutions are popular, in fact I bought some small stick-on spot mirrors myself for my new-to-me '05.

However I have not found it necessary to put them on, as I was able to adjust the stockers, as I've been doing on all my vehicles for years, to get very good coverage - I'm able to track vehicles behind and around me, almost completely. I'm still turning to check, but as I get more used to the car, I suspect I will do this less and less.

This article does a nice job of explaining the SAE's recommendation for doing this:

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

HTH

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I've been doing this for years. Basically lean to the left so your head is against the window and adjust the mirror til you barely see your car. Then return to normal driving position. For the right mirror, lean to the right so your head is directly in line with the rear view mirror and adjust the right mirror until you barely see your car.

If done right, as traffic disappears from your rear view mirror, they will come into view into your sideview mirror and as they disappear from your sideview mirror they will appear well into your peripheral view. A shoulder check is still safe, but you don't need to do a full rotation, just a quick neck glance will do.

It's annoying getting into a friend's car and seeing their mirrors set up like ****

·
Registered
954 Posts
Learned to adjust my mirrors like this when I bought my Exige, and it's one of the most important things to do in our cars.

Just wanted to add a little tip: Slow-moving traffic (or red lights) offers a great opportunity to check that your mirrors are adjusted properly.
Notice an approaching car on either side, and confirm as they pass you that they pass through your mirrors without ever becoming invisible. If they disappear even for a brief moment, you know you need to re-calibrate your mirrors.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've always adjusted my mirrors like this. A lot of people dont realize they're looking at the same thing in the rear view and their side mirrors.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I've always adjusted my mirrors like this. A lot of people dont realize they're looking at the same thing in the rear view and their side mirrors.
This was me before the Exige, my manager sat in my car and helped me realize that the only thing my mirrors were set up to do was show a car that has already hit me. It takes a while to get used to though.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Thanks for posting the illustration. Forwarded it to my family members who were likely taught to adjust them the old way.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I don't have interior mirror..
Regardless of the mirror set up, you should still check your blind spot by looking over your shoulder.
I don't know if it's my height (5'4"), but I can't see anything past my door jamb when I look over my shoulder. Checking on the passenger side is even worse.

Luckily, though, due to my height, I can see out the back a bit under my rear wing.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i'm amazed Multivex has not been sold or reincarnated... those things are great. You can see a car that is passing you in the mirror all the way up until he is directly next to you - amazing. I think i got one of the last sets. Grabbed a set for my truck too. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
12,173 Posts
I don't have interior mirror..
Regardless of the mirror set up, you should still check your blind spot by looking over your shoulder.
No. If one's mirror are properly adjusted, there is no point in looking over one's shoulder.

Why take one's eyes off the road ahead?

i'm amazed Multivex has not been sold or reincarnated... those things are great. You can see a car that is passing you in the mirror all the way up until he is directly next to you - amazing. I think i got one of the last sets. Grabbed a set for my truck too. Oh well.
Yes. This is too bad; I love the multivex. I might check out the BOE mirrors if need arises.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
No. If one's mirror are properly adjusted, there is no point in looking over one's shoulder.

Why take one's eyes off the road ahead?

Yes. This is too bad; I love the multivex. I might check out the BOE mirrors if need arises.
Because the point is to scan what's going on around you to be aware of your surroundings and not get fixated it on a single target. The 5 inch diagonal reflective surface only gives you a portion of what's out there regardless how well adjusted it is.
YMMV

·
Premium Member
12,173 Posts
Because the point is to scan what's going on around you to be aware of your surroundings and not get fixated it on a single target. The 5 inch diagonal reflective surface only gives you a portion of what's out there regardless how well adjusted it is.
YMMV
Cannot agree.

I have no blind spots, but you maintain I should take divert my eyes from the road ahead to look over my shoulder, to see what I can already see in my mirrors?

I apologize, but that is devoid of logic.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've been doing this since the day I got my driver license close to 20 years ago. Don't remember what got me to do it, but that's how I have had my mirrors positioned. definitely helps, especially in a car with poor rear visibility like the Eliges.

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
i've been setting my mirrors wide for years as well. Even before the Exige. It's must with any car. Definitely works awesome with the Exige since the mirrors already stick out sort of far from the body.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
While I agree that setting the mirrors may avoid the need to turn your head, I was brought up with the notion that you need to check your blind spots.

I feel more comfortable turning to look. Consequently I guess I have my mirrors set up the "bad" way but don't really depend on them.

(Old dogs cannot learn new tricks)

·
Premium Member
8,129 Posts
Nice post. ! Honestly was never shown this although I adjust close to this but will do more now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The wind is resetting my mirrors

That is a simple to understand setup pic. Thanks. It's the way I was told to do it when learning to drive back when. But I still turn my head out of habit.

My side mirrors are kind of useless right now because at freeway speed the wind pushes them back towards the car. I have the seat all the way back so I end up looking at the side of my car.

I haven't been brave enough to peak behind the black sticker which I assume is the bolt to hold the mirror on and see if there is a way to tighten something up. There is a scuff mark on the mirror on the inside that makes it look like it may have taken a hip check in a parking lot somewhere so I'm not sure if that tweaked it.

Any of you have this problem?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bump for a good thread. Now that Eliges are getting more and more rare due to accidents, please learn this. This is how my dad taught me when I first started driving at 15/16. For the past 18 years I've been a driver for a living and even before that I always drove a lot because I like it. I've probably put more miles on the road than anyone except long haul truckers. Read it, practice it, use it.

A good way to set your side mirrors is at a stoplight when other cars pull up alongside you. An easy rule of thumb is if you can see the side of your car in your side mirrors they are too far in and you need to push them out more. When I am behind someone and I can see that persons face and eyes in their side mirrors, I know they have their mirrors wrong and will have blind spots. Probably 97% or higher of passenger cars do not have blind spots. Blind spots are created by not using and setting your mirrors correctly.

It takes getting used to and there is a downside that when backing up its harder to see, but the upside is well worth it since you are mostly driving forward not backward. No need for those silly stick on circle mirrors or multivex whatever that does.

Now in an Exige that's different since they are blind from the rear view. So exige owners have to adjust one or both side mirrors to see behind them which leaves the side blind. Behind is the most important, but most people in their cars have no excuse since they have a perfectly working rear view mirror. But they still adjust the side mirrors to see what's behind them instead of what's to the side.

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

1 - 20 of 20 Posts