The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I was driving near 210-fwy/57-fwy intersection (near San Dimas, CA). It was around 10pm and pretty dark. I was going around 70mph casually cruising along with the rest of the traffic.

I saw a car getting really close to behind me so I switched the lane. Well, the car switches the lane with me. The car was driving close me to again, so I switched the lane and he just floored his car. As he was passing by, I noticed that it is a police car! (wasn't CHP... the side of the car said "Police" and I didn't see the name of the PD)... and well, it didn't end there.

The police car drove RIGHT next to me for about 1/4 miles and CUT right in front of me. I had to get on the breaks to avoid him. I was so pissed, I actually honked and flashed high-beams at him. Afterward he just took off.

I have a great deal of respect towards the law enforcement community, but the cops like these really give bad examples... :mad:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Last night, I saw a police car flying in a 35 mph zone, no lights on. I saw him a little further down, catching up with his buddy in a another cruiser.

About a month ago, I had two police cruisers in front of me as we entered the interstate off of a ramp. The two cars suddenly accelerated away, no lights on. I got up to around 90mph to keep up, and they were still pulling away. I thought I better not push my luck. I saw them slow down to catch the next off ramp, still no lights on. Seemed to me they were racing.

I usually drive 7mph over the limit on the interstate. Usually the only cars that pass me (during the late hours that I drive) are police cars.

Too many hypocritical cops out there.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Please don't judge all cops because of the actions of this one A-hole. Police work is like any other job you are going to have your good, bad, and how in the world did he/she get their job. There are plenty of good ones out there that work their butts off helping us all, for the little pay..... this just does not seem right considering the contribution they provide for society.

Off soap box......
Next time just give a :wave: and a little room then :shift: on.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Nobody here is "judging ALL cops." Just the bad ones.

I'm just mad because I can't speed without potential consequences. :D

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Please don't judge all cops because of the actions of this one A-hole. Police work is like any other job you are going to have your good, bad, and how in the world did he/she get their job. There are plenty of good ones out there that work their butts off helping us all, for the little pay..... this just does not seem right considering the contribution they provide for society.

Off soap box......
Most cops are dicks but so are most people in general, at least that's true of the NYC metro area. I find the rest of the US pretty friendly.

I live by the adage "To live outside the law, you must be honest."

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm friends with most a lot of LEO's in the city I live in, and honestly, most of them are just bored stiff. Unless you are in a major city, there isn't a whole lot to do. Cops in general aren't rude or scary, but rather are mind numbingly bored.

That being said, there are a few A holes that work their way onto the force, and they wreck the reputation for everyone else. Their fellow officer coworkers know it too, and generally tease the hell out of the person.

That all being said, when they drive in a wreckless manner, I get even more angry than I would at a non officer.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I saw something similar today, was driving in the middle lane of a major highway and saw a cop in the HOV lane. He exited out of the HOV lane passed a truck then got back in the HOV lane in a no passing zone. After he got in front of the truck he SLAMMED on the brakes for no apparent reason and brake checked the truck. After that he sped off doing 100+ and weaved in and out of the HOV lane.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I was wondering if it was a cop friend I have in LaVerne messing with you. I used to live out there and have a silver Elise. Might of just been out drinking looking for a good time. Kinda hard to believe he would forget the color.

·
Inactive
831 Posts
Search for "Stanford Prison Experiment". The negative side of behaviour for a human is determined by the chance of repercussions.

For a cop, if the chance of being punished for driving/acting/performing badly is very low, then they will drive/act/perform badly.

I see this demonstrated on a minor level every few days - mainly cop cars going through red lights or performing illegal U turns. If there is almost no chance of any consequences for these actions, then they will do it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
There was an accident, if you can call it that, Saturday night in my town. 2:30am an off duty cop sped through a red light and t-boned a F150 p/u truck. Killed the 18yr. old driver of the truck and got charged with impaired driving. He's been suspended pending outcome of internal investigation. His new BMW was looking a little ragged, from what I saw.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Last night, I was driving near 210-fwy/57-fwy intersection (near San Dimas, CA). It was around 10pm and pretty dark. I was going around 70mph casually cruising along with the rest of the traffic.

I saw a car getting really close to behind me so I switched the lane. Well, the car switches the lane with me. The car was driving close me to again, so I switched the lane and he just floored his car. As he was passing by, I noticed that it is a police car! (wasn't CHP... the side of the car said "Police" and I didn't see the name of the PD)... and well, it didn't end there.

The police car drove RIGHT next to me for about 1/4 miles and CUT right in front of me. I had to get on the breaks to avoid him. I was so pissed, I actually honked and flashed high-beams at him. Afterward he just took off.

I have a great deal of respect towards the law enforcement community, but the cops like these really give bad examples... :mad:
Everybody wants to race a Lotus. TADTS

·
Registered
150 Posts
Last night, I saw a police car flying in a 35 mph zone, no lights on. I saw him a little further down, catching up with his buddy in a another cruiser.

About a month ago, I had two police cruisers in front of me as we entered the interstate off of a ramp. The two cars suddenly accelerated away, no lights on. I got up to around 90mph to keep up, and they were still pulling away. I thought I better not push my luck. I saw them slow down to catch the next off ramp, still no lights on. Seemed to me they were racing.

I usually drive 7mph over the limit on the interstate. Usually the only cars that pass me (during the late hours that I drive) are police cars.

Too many hypocritical cops out there.
I wouldn't call it hypocritical. They aren't out there handing tickets so that you obey the law. They are handing tickets out to generate revenue. Just like if you own a restaurant, you usually give your employees a free meal. Same with cops.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I wouldn't call it hypocritical. They aren't out there handing tickets so that you obey the law. They are handing tickets out to generate revenue. Just like if you own a restaurant, you usually give your employees a free meal. Same with cops.
thats a problem...

they are supposed to "protect and serve"
not to "generate revenue and serve tickets"

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It may just be me, but the most infuriating thing is when they all leave the patrol cars out in the lot running and they're inside eating dinner. From what I'm told it means they're "on the clock" and thus, leave the car running while grabbing a bite on the tax payer's dime. Even if that's not true, at $4/gallon, they're out there burning off the gas that I pay for. :huh:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

Off soap box......
Actually police work is unlike any other job.
It's up to the force to clean their house and make sure they have no criminal code of conduct, the so-called blue wall of silence.
Just another name for racketeering.

Good cops deserve better pay and respect.
Maybe they will get it when they are more aggressive in stopping the worst criminals, those with badges.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts