The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share a few pics of my Lotus and maybe some other pics that squeezed in ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dude, love the stuff. But... the only thing I could think of when I saw ur mac icon and computer gaming center pics was this:

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha - 45

100% purebred geek, actually I only like to think I'm a geek because in my circle of friends (rocket scientists, intel cpu designers/engineers, physicists), I'm the equivalent of an amoeba that just crawled out of the primordial soup. :)

Some of that geek stuff is actually work related believe it or not, it's my work at home office.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few more pics, messing around with my camera this evening...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Very nice pictures :clap:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Nice :)

Gaming and Mac though? (as I type this on mine) heheheh

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a pretty cheap camera ($600) Canon Digital Rebel XTi. I got a cheap Canon 50mm EF 1.8 lens ($100) for it and was testing it out (it's a prime lens so no zoom). Shot in RAW for the most part, but JPEG compressed and resized for upload (went from 9 MB to 100-150 KB). I'd like to get the Canon EOS 1Ds MkIII, but I need to get better with what I have before I drop $7K on a camera.

MacPro does games just fine - I've added an ATI 3870 (this was just before ATI 4870 was made available for Mac) which is good for games. My real gaming/testing rig is the one on the other side of the chair under the table with it's side door open (it's a big silver/black monster and massive heater running overclocked CPUs and two 4870's).

There's another PC (black) below to the Mackie control surface on left of pic, that's my test PC that I wipe often. Do most of my work and video/audio work on my Mac though (it's boot camp setup so works as Mac OS X Leopard and PC with Vista).

Speaking of OS X, Snow Leopard will be available this Friday for $29 upgrade price -- one version does all :) -- hmmm ... Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade is $220 -- seems like Microsoft need to feed the whales again with an upgrade that costs 7.5 times more and one gets an OS that is based on Vista source code. Ballmer should have done an OS reset while they had the chance back in 2000 -- now it's pretty much too late.

Rob.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Tell me about your headlight clip fix.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh my Hi-Tech fix ;)

Plumbers tape, a drill, and wood/plastic screw. Fortunately I had the original plastic piece that broke so I was able to emulate the same shape.

22 gauge Plumbers tape works great because it's flexible yet will not "crack" so it will apply enough pressure when sliding turn signal light back in and resume it's shape.

If you don't have the original piece, you'll have to trial and error the shape size but you can use my pic as a guide.

1. Drill a small hole thru plastic clip base (match hole size to screw you plan to use)
2. Cut and shape Plumbers tape to match "normal" clip
3. Attach shaped plumbers tape with plastic/wood screw
4. Make sure the plumbers tape clam contact point is rounded or else it will snag

I was thinking of doing a spring loaded setup, but that would have just been way too nerdy :) so I opt'd for the simple ghetto yet functional and durable solution.

FYI, my turn signals just popped out one day while washing the car, they don't need to be removed when the front clam is remove -- I just decided to fix the problem since I was fixing other issues.

Rob.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Oh my Hi-Tech fix ;)

Plumbers tape, a drill, and wood/plastic screw. Fortunately I had the original plastic piece that broke so I was able to emulate the same shape.

22 gauge Plumbers tape works great because it's flexible yet will not "crack" so it will apply enough pressure when sliding turn signal light back in and resume it's shape.

If you don't have the original piece, you'll have to trial and error the shape size but you can use my pic as a guide.

1. Drill a small hole thru plastic clip base (match hole size to screw you plan to use)
2. Cut and shape Plumbers tape to match "normal" clip
3. Attach shaped plumbers tape with plastic/wood screw
4. Make sure the plumbers tape clam contact point is rounded or else it will snag

I was thinking of doing a spring loaded setup, but that would have just been way too nerdy :) so I opt'd for the simple ghetto yet functional and durable solution.

FYI, my turn signals just popped out one day while washing the car, they don't need to be removed when the front clam is remove -- I just decided to fix the problem since I was fixing other issues.

Rob.
It looks like metal?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is metal, 22 gauge - it flexs just like the plastic clip, but will not break.

LCD is part of the Pioneer AVIC-N4 nav/dvd/audio unit -- the background image for Pioneer comes from various sources (Matrix movie snapshot, Lotus Logo, BOE Logo) that I put together with photoshop and loaded them into the Pioneer (supports 3 different background images - just need right size and format, put on CD/DVD and load into the Pioneer via setup menu).

Rob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts