The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple things. I switched fom "winter tires" (Kumho ASX) to "summer tires" (Yoko A048's). What an amazing difference in handling! I'll "stick" with 048's for a few months until I complain about wearing them out too fast....

I drive to work and the four lanes straight changes to a two lanes with four miles of twisties down hill (Potrero Road in Hidden Valley...Ara knows that road well) I like to drive that twisty road without slowpokes in front of me. Today, I passed the SUV's and Minivans and I have a good shot for the twisties alone!:D
Unfortunately, a brand new Mini passed me well over the speed limit. I did not want to race him to get to the twisties first and I thought "Mini's handle well in twisties so I won't have to slow down behind him. Maybe he knows the road." I was wrong. :mad:Every curve he braked drastically and he was all over the road. He was a pretty bad driver. I backed off not to intimidate him. He finally turned into the local college campus.

Some people only know how to depress the accelerator, but don't know how to turn the steering wheel.:rolleyes:

Any incidents you've experienced showing another driver's bad driving, poor decisions etc?

--Hal

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
"Some people only know how to depress the accelerator, but don't know how to turn the steering wheel."

I think you're wrong. MOST people only know how to depress the accelerator, but don't know how to turn the steering wheel. And buying a sporty car doesn't help them.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Most of the time, I have these people tailgating me either going into a freeway offramp, or other sharp turns. Regardless of what car I'm in, it seems like I would lose them in the mirror for a while after the turns and them they would zoom up to my ass agaiin just to get lost in another turn..:shrug:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
the old mini was super light and a cool car capable of awesome things.

new mini's are just fat ugly pigs... that somehow manage to the cram 2800lbs into a very small car

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You have "winter" tires in Thousand Oaks???

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Simple things. I switched fom "winter tires" (Kumho ASX) to "summer tires" (Yoko A048's). What an amazing difference in handling! I'll "stick" with 048's for a few months until I complain about wearing them out too fast....

I drive to work and the four lanes straight changes to a two lanes with four miles of twisties down hill (Potrero Road in Hidden Valley...Ara knows that road well) I like to drive that twisty road without slowpokes in front of me. Today, I passed the SUV's and Minivans and I have a good shot for the twisties alone!:D
Unfortunately, a brand new Mini passed me well over the speed limit. I did not want to race him to get to the twisties first and I thought "Mini's handle well in twisties so I won't have to slow down behind him. Maybe he knows the road." I was wrong. :mad:Every curve he braked drastically and he was all over the road. He was a pretty bad driver. I backed off not to intimidate him. He finally turned into the local college campus.

Some people only know how to depress the accelerator, but don't know how to turn the steering wheel.:rolleyes:

Any incidents you've experienced showing another driver's bad driving, poor decisions etc?

--Hal
Hal, try the toyo r888 for summer tires, they are suppose to last and grip til the chords start to show!!! im getting a set shipped to me as we speak, maybe you'll end up with them all year long, esp in CA :)

my front a048's still have 50% tread but like 20%grip and my rears are "slicked" in the middle already, with probably less than 15% grip on em :eek:

as for bad drivers: same incident with me in my MR-S and a 90's 5.0 mustang, zoomed by me 1/4 mile before the canyon then slammed on his brakes before the 1st corner, causing me to stomp my brakes to keep from rear ending him, put my car on a drift taking up both lanes, luckily it was very late, or early, depending how u look at it, and NOBODY was hurt.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's REALLY cold in Thousand Oaks. It can drop down to mid-forties in the winter at night and only the fifties in the day! Brrrrr!!!!!

The Kumho ASX last a long time and can handle the winter infrequent terrifying drizzle in the morning. We watch the Eleven hour news for "STORM WATCH":eek:...turns into only a drizzle. :huh:

Frankly, I don't why I have the "winter tires", unless to save the "summer tires" for special occaisions, like Buttowillow or Williow Springs.

So...I should call the winter tires "beater" tires!rotfl

Coi, the next tire will be Toyo's, replacing the ASX's!

--Hal

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It's REALLY cold in Thousand Oaks. It can drop down to mid-forties in the winter at night and only the fifties in the day! Brrrrr!!!!!

The Kumho ASX last a long time and can handle the winter infrequent terrifying drizzle in the morning. We watch the Eleven hour news for "STORM WATCH":eek:...turns into only a drizzle. :huh:

Frankly, I don't why I have the "winter tires", unless to save the "summer tires" for special occaisions, like Buttowillow or Williow Springs.

So...I should call the winter tires "beater" tires!rotfl

Coi, the next tire will be Toyo's, replacing the ASX's!

--Hal
Pansy. 50? 40? rotfl That is still shorts and t-shirt weather for me. When I lived in Sacramento I did not even own a jacket. Even where I live now in Chicago is mild compared to where I grew up. You do not know cold until you have been through -40 or lower. Have you lived through a real winter before? Somewhere with snow and many below zero days? Anything else is just extended fall.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pansy? Yah. But I paid my dues. I lived in New York for 10 years and sister moved to Chicago and I visited her every Christmas time. So I moved to Los Angeles in 1959! My parents (and me) couldn't take the cold anymore!

What's your excuse?;)

"Palm trees grow and rents are low....." from Neil Diamond referring to the housing in L.A. in the 60's. Now housing here is astronomical!:eek: That's the excuse!

So...I have "street" tires and "track" tires. That sounds better than "winter" and "summer" tires. --Hal

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
What no love for the ASX? I drive on mine in monsoons which more than makes up for the dry weather loss of some grip.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're correct! ASX works great on wet roads where I have heard that A048's are difficult to drive in the rain. For me: I never drive the Elise in the rain, and in Southern California...it never rains anyway!;) --Hal

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts

--Hal
Yes, I love Potrero! I always jump cars to be first in the twisted section. If I can't get around people (more than one car ahead), I'll just come to a stop and count to 10 (or 15) then take off.

But yes, I had a mazda mx-6 and corvette c5 jump me in MY MERC C230 Sport and they were holding me up in the twisties. Haven't had anyone jump me in the Lotus. Now that I have a TSX now, got to break it in to get a good feel of it. It handles nice, but skinny tires (215s) and front wheel drive. :no:

Yesterday, I was in the TSX and had to stop because lots of cars ahead. Then all of a sudden a BMW 3 came up real fast. :eek: I took off and the dude was all on my ass going up the section. I was taking it easy cuz only 150 miles on the car, but I had a feeling it was a MFGR plate BMW and sure enough it was. It was a 335 of all things! 300hp vs 215hp. LOL Anyway, I wish I had the Lotus. :evil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts