The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so this is my first true thread I’m starting on the forum. I purchased my 05 Elise about a month ago and so naturally it’s time I start addressing the
“Lots Of Trouble”.

so first background on the car. I picked it up in Pittsburgh and had it shipped to Salt Lake City (higher altitudes). It’s an 05 with 12,000miles I’m the third owner. The previous owner to me installed a Bemani supercharger kit m90 supercharger it is currently cable driven of the throttle, It runs a water to air intercooler. Bigger fuel pump and 550cc injectors. It has AEM BOOST GAUGE AND AFR GAUGE. Full custom 4-1 headers into stainless steel exhaust W/ CAT DELETE. It has a CharlieX tune. Which total side note what happened to that guy??? I tried to find him and he has fallen off the earth.

Now let’s talk issues. now the biggest continuous issue is a very rough cold start and rough idle when I stop. Now initially the codes were

p1301 (due to the cat being gone)

p0447 (this is evap code I don’t believe this is related to idle problem but I could be wrong.)

Po171 (system too lean. Although the afr gauge only confirms this at idle all other times it’s good)

P0507 (previous owner told me that I just need to adjust the idle screw.)

Now initially I was trying to get rid of these codes to pass emissions (this is no longer the case because I got an exemption) so the first thing I did is buy the big daddy garage 90 and mini cat. I ran that for a while and intermittently checked the codes. Over the next week or so I observed the same codes with addition of

P0303 (cylinder three misfire. I can hear it at idle/start up but at no other time)

So I decided to just disconnect the connection to the second o2 with the mini cat on it. I wanted to see if the mini cat could be causing the issues. I also swapped the COP from cylinder three to cylinder four to see if I could get the misfire to follow it ....sadly no dice. As of the writing this the codes are

P0303 (cylinder 3 misfire)

p1301 (due to the cat being gone)

p0447 (this is evap code I don’t believe this is related to idle problem but I could be wrong.)

Po171 (system too lean. Although the afr gauge only confirms this at idle all other times it’s good)

P0507 (previous owner told me that I just need to adjust the idle screw.)

P0140 and p0141 (this is just from disconnecting the second o2 sensor)

So all I’m trying to do now is make it run better and get rid of the misfire. I no longer need to pass emissions. Any one have any thoughts?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Suspect you need to have your ecm re-programmed for no Cat
Do a search to figure out your evap. Probably keeping sensors plugged in will help.
Are your coil ohm’s within spec? Grounds good? Might consider leak down test

·
Administrator
1,718 Posts
Before considering ecu tune because you might be SOL there I would measure voltage at the coils and compare. It's possible your engine wire harness has issues. Check Your Coil Packs

·
Administrator
1,718 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i have not checked it with a voltmeter for ohms or voltage i think this is probably a good idea. does anyone know what its supposed to be at. i'm not exactly an expert when it comes to electrical stuff, but ill give it a try. i just measure from the electrical connector to the spark plug connector for ohms and that power and ground pins on connector for voltage correct?

as far as vacuum leak does anyone have any tricks for finding or testing for a vacuum leak? i think a leak could be a possibility.

as far as evap issue i know i can blow air into the gas tank

·
Administrator
1,718 Posts
There are a number of methods with fire extinguisher handy from propane, ether or any flammable fluid are each joint. I will say that none of these detected my missing three intake manifold bolts/studs vacuum leak. I would have to look around for the voltages but try for starters comparing to the other coils. I finally found my leak which was audible by recording as I started moving components around by hand starting at CAI and working towards the engine until I heard and saw the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my issue with searching for a leak with a chemical is that i basically never have a consistent idle.
i will give that a try with coils.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the coils are reading consistent.
i'm really starting to suspect its a vacuum leak. i did a test with my obd scanner and the short term fuel trims were all over the place.
though i will add that once it was warmed up and went closed loop the fuel trims were nto nearly as all over the place but if still wasn't running great.
i'm thinking of running the propane test as soon as my car cools down.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Spray carb cleaner with the plastic straw works well to isolate to the particular spot. The idle will immediately increase. Another method is a piece of rubber hose held to your ear, other end to the suspect area.

·
Administrator
1,718 Posts
the coils are reading consistent.
i'm really starting to suspect its a vacuum leak. i did a test with my obd scanner and the short term fuel trims were all over the place.
though i will add that once it was warmed up and went closed loop the fuel trims were nto nearly as all over the place but if still wasn't running great.
i'm thinking of running the propane test as soon as my car cools down.
Vacuum leak wouldn't explain that coil 3 issue. It may very well be you have multiple issues. I was surprised that I could put as much flammable liquid and gas all over and never found the leak until I physically grabbed and moved TB as much as I could. That's when the broken TB bracket caught my eye and then I saw the first of the broken intake manifold bolts/studs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True but it was a cylinder three misfire not nesicarily a coil issue.
I made a home made smoke machine I’m going to try.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lotus post

Hey just wanted to give everyone an update. So I have spent the past few weeks replacing an intake cam that I found to be completely and totally wiped. When I got the car back together I was hoping I could report the p1301, p0303, p0171. Sadly they all still exist. So my problem is not solved.

Another thing that I did while I did this cam process was I cleaned the maf on the intake that is just after the air filter.

A few things I did want to point out. First is the cars tendency to almost stall when it’s cold started.

The next is something that I may have missed previously or may be new. At a certain throttle position or perhaps certain Rpm not sure which. While cruising on the freeway or highway the afr it hits this point where the afr starts to jump all over the place and the car very very slightly hesitates. As soon as I let off the throttle a little and rpm drops just slightly it goes away.

Any input is appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts