The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Misfire @ cam-switchover + P1301 *edit* FOUND -intake cam toast

HI all,

Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction from a diagnostics standpoint.

My '06 Elise is missing badly right when it revs to the cam switch point (and beyond). I'll give some quick history & some fixes I've tried:

History:
-Back in late April I was accelerating on the hwy when suddenly at 8krpm in 3rd gear the engine began to miss as if the TC were engaging full time, and the CEL started blinking. I pulled over. Swore a bit. Then restarted the engine, it ran fine but with the CEL which went away after a day or so. Hmm maybe just a sensor hiccup. A few weeks later, same thing happens.
I scanned it and it came up with "throttle actuator control circuit" and P1301. I was leaving for a few different trips so I left the car with my brother to babysit and take into his shop.

Took it into the shop, (changed oil etc for good measure) and the tech suggested that the cat was busted (I could indeed hear it) and perhaps causing too much backpressure at high revs. We swapped for a decat. Problem persists but changed a bit, miss started at 6k and onward. No codes being thrown (except for decat).

Yesterday I Changed coils & plugs, took it for a drive, same issue. Now showing P1301 and decat -> (will either get a sipper or disable the 2nd circuit I guess). Bellow the cam switch point there is no change in performance at all.

Could the ECU be wonky? Need a reflash perhaps?
Bad injector?
Anyone seen this before?

Note except for decat & larinin sport exhaust, car is bone stock.

Help appreciated! I miss my baby :sad:

EDIT
Issue found, notorious intake cam wear to blame

·
Registered
902 Posts
Remove the valve cover and check the power cam lobes for wear.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...that was one of my next thoughts as well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well...my intake cam is indeed toast. High RPM lobe on Cyl#2 to be exact. I'll post pics later but it's pretty much the same as I've seen others post.

Any good aftermarket cam/spring sets out there for NA cars?
(For that matter, are they Toyota parts, or are the Lotus ones different from the standard 2ZZ?

looked at the oil delivery rail under the cam cover and the hole for the #1cyl is not aligned with the others, hard to tell whether it's enough to make a difference though. I suspect there might have been starvation at one point, so perhaps a new oil pan should get thrown into the mix as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts