The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 127 Posts

·
Less is Better
2,364 Posts
I did the sandwich plate without draining the oil. About 3 tablespoons of oil dripped out of the lines and from the filter during the process. Just don't turn the oil filter over as it's full. No need to drain the oil to do this job. In fact, draining the pan probably doesn't make any difference to the job.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I won't be changing the oil because of the thermostat swap, I'll change the oil because of the track days. Good practice to change it after each track event.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
I think the only reason I talk about doing it during an oil change is that you are half way there with the aero tray off and the oil filter off.

And we all probably change our oil too often anyway........

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
OK, finished the thermostat swap. Installed the Mishimoto 200 degree thermostat as I wanted to raise the low end oil temp a bit over 185. Easiest Elise project yet. Simple unscrew, swap, reinstall. The only challenge was getting a wrench on the nut but hey, at least its accessible.

Now, oil climbs to 200 degrees and stays there.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
OK, finished the thermostat swap. Installed the Mishimoto 200 degree thermostat as I wanted to raise the low end oil temp a bit over 185. Easiest Elise project yet. Simple unscrew, swap, reinstall. The only challenge was getting a wrench on the nut but hey, at least its accessible.

roughly how long is it taking to get to 200 for you form a cold start?

i just installed my plate with 200 t-stat this past weekend but haven't got my temp sensor wired in yet (probably wont till next oc)

·
Less is Better
2,364 Posts

Are you going to add the data to your comparison plot?

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I haven't timed it to time 200 but my first few posts show 9m 48s to 180, which is the minimum I would jump on the fun cam. From 180 to 200 couldn't be more than a few minutes but without a 200 degree tstat, it would require some hard driving to get it there.

·
Less is Better
2,364 Posts
I haven't timed it to time 200 but my first few posts show 9m 48s to 180, which is the minimum I would jump on the fun cam. From 180 to 200 couldn't be more than a few minutes but without a 200 degree tstat, it would require some hard driving to get it there.
The ramp rate up to temperature shouldn't change at all, but the 200F thermostat should change the steady state temperature of the oil, so the slope stays the same but it will stabilize higher. I'm interested in the difference in that stable temperature.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
If you are running the Mish thermostat[or equivalent] it is a pretty safe bet that as soon as you are up to normal operating water temp, you are good to go on the cam, from my experience. I put gauges in because I was doing research, and I love gauges. If you had one, an oil pressure is the one to go with. You can infer the oil temp from the oil pressure. Make note of your, say 4k rpm oil pressure when full hot. It will be lower than when it is dead cold or even medium warm. You then can judge what temp range your oil is in.

I would check that my oil coolers stay cold when the car is cold, and get hot when the car is hot, when I think of it, if I wasn't running gauges

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
If you are running the Mish thermostat[or equivalent] it is a pretty safe bet that as soon as you are up to normal operating water temp, you are good to go on the cam, from my experience. I put gauges in because I was doing research, and I love gauges. If you had one, an oil pressure is the one to go with. You can infer the oil temp from the oil pressure. Make note of your, say 4k rpm oil pressure when full hot. It will be lower than when it is dead cold or even medium warm. You then can judge what temp range your oil is in.

I would check that my oil coolers stay cold when the car is cold, and get hot when the car is hot, when I think of it, if I wasn't running gauges
Exiegus, I was thinking to do a single gauge but for not much more $, you can get a dual gauge (temp and pressure). No need to run multiple gauges when 1 can serve both..

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Exiegus, I was thinking to do a single gauge but for not much more $, you can get a dual gauge (temp and pressure). No need to run multiple gauges when 1 can serve both..
yeah but they tend to be huge and I could not find a place for such a big dumbly gauge. Plus the wiring is really the work not the gauge.

I thought it would be cool to have a pair of rows of colored LEDs that just hide on the column shroud. Like blue green red for the temp and red then green for the oil pressure

If I was more electronics oriented I don't think it would be that hard but I have enough projects.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah but they tend to be huge and I could not find a place for such a big dumbly gauge. Plus the wiring is really the work not the gauge.
I installed an Innovate Pressure & Temperature gauge when I installed the Mishimoto plate and I'm quite happy with it. I have it set up so that when the outer ring shows 4 green bars I know the oil is up to temp. You're right though, it's extra work to wire both pressure and temperature sensors.

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXD.php#3913

·
Registered
599 Posts

Where can I buy just the 200 degree thermostat? Also, do you have any pictures showing the installation of the gauge sensors? Do they instal on the Mishimoto sandwichplate? Thanks

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
My earlier post (#12) shows the gauge installed. It wasn't really much more work to wire both vs 1. If I'm running a wire from the plate into the cabin, 2 isn't any more effort. I liked the single gauge option instead of Blackwatch Racing's solution, which is a column that straddles the center tunnel. Mine is out of the way, readable when I need it and tells me when temp is up enough.

61 - 80 of 127 Posts