The Lotus Cars Community banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
A bump on a not-so-old thread.

Any reason not to run a braided line from the NPT port on the Mish plate to a remote Tee and use that Tee to feed a pressure and a temp gauge?

I had my temp sensor in an MWR replacement oil pan drain plug that has a bore in the middle to accept the sensor. Snapped off at last oil change (at 20 ft lbs). Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. It does after all have a big hole in it so strength is compromised. I had the pressure sensor on the Mish port but it is biggish and i worry a bit about vibration. The hose into the Mish plate wouldn't have that issue and the fittings would be a lot less crowded than they are now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thank you!

·
Registered
129 Posts
A quick follow up on this. Matt at MWR thinks this won't work well as he believes the temp sensor has to have some oil flow around it to work well. So i think i will put the temp right in the plate, run a line from the OEM pressure sensor tap in the block to a remote tee for the OEM and after-market pressure gauges, and revert to the OEM drain plug. Another round of parts from Summit Racing! Let's see if I can find a BSPT to 4AN adapter.

I am wondering now if having the OP sensor right in the plate, which must bounce around, accounts for my oil pressure gauge fluctuating so much. I'll soon have an answer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bump to see if Kevin has an answer yet and a newbie (as such) question.

I bought my 05 NA Elise about 5-6 weeks ago and pretty much have only driven it home and gave my brother a ride around the neighborhood the next day. @120 miles total. On the original test drive, we had some "city traffic" for at least 8-10 minutes, plus the original, start, idle, talk prior to test drive. At roughly I think would be @15 minutes the seller said "you should be good to go now" when I was ready to push a bit harder. I figured he was just being conservative on warm up. (Not knowing anything about the oiling/warm oil issues) on these cars. Felt good, etc. Drive home 2 weeks later had lots of stop and go and I noticed at one point the temp over 200F before I got on it.

The owner had installed the Mishimoto with a 200F thermo.

Now the question, the next day I went to give my visiting brother a ride. Probably @ 5-6 mins at best and when I finally saw the temp display come on, I got on it and the cam change started, but fell flat/ rev limiter hit @ 7500? I thought "OK, nice protection", drove another few minutes and then it would go to the 8K+ range and seemed normal to my newbie observations. Now that I know to not do that again, does anyone think I may have damaged a cam already? Is it worth pulling the cam cover to check first?

TIA
Bill

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
the only way to know if you have damage is to look. It is really easy to check on an NA motor... if you haven't looked at the cams before, not a bad idea to look at them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Now the question, the next day I went to give my visiting brother a ride. Probably @ 5-6 mins at best and when I finally saw the temp display come on, I got on it and the cam change started, but fell flat/ rev limiter hit @ 7500? I thought "OK, nice protection", drove another few minutes and then it would go to the 8K+ range and seemed normal to my newbie observations. Now that I know to not do that again, does anyone think I may have damaged a cam already? Is it worth pulling the cam cover to check first?

TIA
Bill
i think that's just the normal progression of the redline during warmup. i don't think you damaged anything. but it never hurts to pull the cam cover and inspect the state of things.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/early-shift-light-470204/#post5958892

121 - 127 of 127 Posts