The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 30 years since I sold my first Lotus, a Europa and I miss it more every day. It was a 1974 Twin Cam Special. #4303R. I had it painted Porsche Peru Red with its original "Champagne" interior. I had Dave Bean tweak the engine and it was fast and reliable. We had many wonderful adventures together driving up and down the California coast as well as San Diego's back roads. It was my daily driver and never ever let me down. I wonder where it is now and hope it's in good hands. Treasure your Europa's people! They are indeed special cars. I'm now on my 4th Lotus and still loving the marque...a beautiful Evora in Aquamarine/Oyster!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Thanks for sharing your passion. Hopefully we'll get a rear brake job completed tomorrow and be back on road this weekend.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Very nice Europa! I can see why you miss it. I have not driven any of the more recent Loti, but from those who have driven a Europa and a newer one, they always seem to say the Europa (or Elan, not to mention a 7!) is a much more exciting car.

There are still Europas out there. You can always get another one. :D

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Faster steering and more camber in front, and my Elise would be almost the car my Europa was.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
Mine's been gone only 3 months and I miss it. Europas are special cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
3841R's having trouble with rear brakes locking up. Looking like I might need to trailer her to LOG which is only 5 miles from our home :facepalm

But need to get her there somehow.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There are a lot of sad people who got rid of their Europas. Let that be a lesson to us: Get buried in yours! :D

3841R's having trouble with rear brakes locking up. Looking like I might need to trailer her to LOG which is only 5 miles from our home :facepalm

But need to get her there somehow.
I hope you get your brakes unstuck!

This will be my third LOG but the first time I'll be driving mine to it! It will be the longest trip I'll have taken in it since I went on a 10K mile road trip with a buddy almost immediately after picking it up when it was new!

I'll be looking for you XHILR8N!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
What happened to your cars Chris? Are they home and your away at college?

Robert
Yes I am at college without a Lotus. Also my Europa has an engine problem which will need to be fixed either this winter or summer sadly. My M100 is going through fiberglass work and paint right now. I'm not there to work on it so the process is very slow with just my dad being there. He has been busy with work and hasn't been able to do much on it and without my help it doesn't make it any easier.
I will be at LOG without a Lotus this year sadly but XHILR8N! is kindly letting me stay with him and I will help him get all of his Lotus Cars there since I can't this year. So for all of you guys going to LOG I will be there just without my Europa :(

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Europa vs Elise

:coolnana:
I am fortunate to have both an 72 Europa TC and an 05 Elise. To me they are too entirely different cars. The Elise is much more refined, more reliable, comfortable and a hoot to drive. The Europa (It is over 40 years old) is much more basic, breaks down often (usually small stuff) and a hoot to drive. The Europa to me was a labor of love that I restored in my spare time. I do all the work myself in my garage and it takes me forever. I am now working on a Triumph Spitfire (Much easier to work on than the Europa) have restored a Nash Metro (also made in England). The Europa took about 4 years for me to do but after I retired last year I finished it up in 6 months). The Elise just requires routine maintenance at this point. MY VOTE.....it's a tie for me with each giving me different satisfaction and joy!

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Europa (and Esprit) is one of the only affordable mid-engined cars with the proper longitudinal engine layout. The Europa engine sits low and is the closest thing to driving a race car on the streets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.