The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my engine while the hood was open and was surprised to find that there was a clearly missing screw right up on top of it. Then, while looking at the photo just before posting here, I see another open screw hole. How serious is this? I just drove 150 miles today with the car like this. Obviously the car runs OK, but should I refrain from driving it until these screws are in place?

Also, any recommendations on what size screws these are so that I can get them replaced? Would an autoparts store carry something like this, or a Toyota dealership? or worse case scenario, back to Lotus?

See the bottom of this photo. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Don't worry about those. They are just for mounting other accessories on other cars. For looks only, I changed out all of my bolts on the top of my engine with stainless steel cap head screws. I added bolts to these "open" holes because I did not like the looks of the open holes. If you look carefully, you can see that these don't hold two pieces together and don't really go anywhere. These bolts are all standard metric sizes, available at all hardware stores. My favorite place is a local hardware store because they sell stainless hardware at half the price of Ace Hardware. Again, nothing to worry about. :grin2:

Reactions: TERIB

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry about those. They are just for mounting other accessories on other cars. For looks only, I changed out all of my bolts on the top of my engine with stainless steel cap head screws. I added bolts to these "open" holes because I did not like the looks of the open holes. If you look carefully, you can see that these don't hold two pieces together and don't really go anywhere. These bolts are all standard metric sizes, available at all hardware stores. My favorite place is a local hardware store because they sell stainless hardware at half the price of Ace Hardware. Again, nothing to worry about. :grin2:
Thank you! I was seriously disappointed as I just got my car back from the Lotus dealership and I could not believe that something like that was missed. It sure looks (to my uneducated eye) like those holes should be screwed in to hold together the corner of the valve cover. Glad to hear it's not the case.

Thanks very much for helping me out!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Normal...there is nothing there fastener wise.

Reactions: TERIB

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,372 Posts
Be careful using stainless steel hardware as it does not have a high strength rating. Not sure it matters holding the valve cover though.

·
Registered
945 Posts
So true

Be careful using stainless steel hardware as it does not have a high strength rating. Not sure it matters holding the valve cover though.
Lost Pawn is correct. I only use stainless for low to medium strength applications. Don't substitute with stainless for suspension or drivetrain use!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Lost Pawn is correct. I only use stainless for low to medium strength applications. Don't substitute with stainless for suspension or drivetrain use!
This may threadjack but I'm curious as to what the strength ratings are. Stainless is low to medium strength, what materias are stronger in what order?

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
For example US fasteners

no marks grade 2 'holds stuff together'
3 marks grade 5 'medium load'
6 marks grade 8 'high load'

Stainless is generally, uhh, 2 marks I think, so it is in between holds stuff and medium load.

Lotus uses stainless for some low load stuff, but yeah, suspension or seat belts or holding doors on or real chassis loads, no

·
Registered
917 Posts
A rule of thumb for me is that stainless fasteners are going to be using an inch-pound torque wrench when tightened. Even then, you'll be only using the lower 3/4 of the scale for a typical 0-240 in/lb TW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts