The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been correcting the small issues on my new to me 2011 NA Evora. Steering wheel bushing, new fluids and pads, clutch cables etc...

Anyhow I realized I had no sound coming from the subwoofer even when faded to rear. I set out today to see what the issue was. R17 fuse was good so I tore the seats and side panel out, only to find nothing.

No sub(even though side panel has grill???) no amp no wires.

Car has Tech package on window sticker also has Kenwood head unit with Lotus splash screen, bluetooth mic, back up cam.

Did some tech cars not include a sub? At least I know mine isnt broken :facepalm

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
859 Posts
What's odd to me first off is the fact that your head unit is a Kenwood. As far as I know, 2010 and 2011 models all had the double din Alpine units, 2012 and 2013 had the Pioneer, and 2014 went back to Alpine. That to me says that the previous owner did some audio swapping. You mention the specific splash screens, but those weren't even loaded on my stock Pioneer unit when I bought my car new and they're easy enough to add in with a memory card and a google search for images.

Knowing that the previous owner changed the head unit, they may have messed with the sub. Perhaps the old amp gave out and they didn't want to replace it, so they decided to add lightness instead. If they were track focused with your Evora, this makes total sense to me. When taking the back apart, you should have found what's pictured below. Sounds like you found a cavity of light weight air.

As far as I know, all tech pack cars should have gotten a sub woofer with the double din head unit, so I can't imagine this was a factory omission. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Now if you want to add some good bass to the car, you have all that room for activities. You can wire up a decent amp and throw in a powerful sub in a box (that you might need to fabricate) that is sealed. A little bit of effort and it'll be far better than what was likely in there at some point in time. To do it right, you'd have to start with running wires from the head unit to the new amp anyway, so if nothing else, having nothing in the spot has saved you from disassembling what was there. Downside is you have to buy a new set up if you want anything. There's a few audio build threads out here, so I'd take a look at those and look at this as an opportunity to get better audio than what the rest of us have to deal with.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just read the window sticker again and it does show the alpine as the unit on the sticker and doesnt explicitly say tech pack under options. But I do have the features mentioned in the first post as well as IPOD integration and cruise control. Door speakers are factory and are alpine branded.

Is it common for a non subwoofer car to have a false subwoofer grate? I wont bother adding and amp and sub but may just upgrade the door speakers for a bit better sound.

·
Happy To Be Here
859 Posts
I just read the window sticker again and it does show the alpine as the unit on the sticker and doesnt explicitly say tech pack under options. But I do have the features mentioned in the first post as well as IPOD integration and cruise control. Door speakers are factory and are alpine branded.

Is it common for a non subwoofer car to have a false subwoofer grate? I wont bother adding and amp and sub but may just upgrade the door speakers for a bit better sound.
Just dug up my window sticker and noticed that the Interior Features shows that my car should have an Alpine receiver as well, but it didn’t. I believe that line is referring to the single din head unit if you don’t get the Tech Pack. I believe the Tech Pack included cruise control, the double din HU with navigation and satellite radio, a back up camera, and back up proximity sensors. That probably includes the subwoofer as well.

Cruise control is easy to add in, just need to buy the buttons and have the feature turned on at your local dealer through Lotus Tech Center. A backup camera is easy to add if you take the time to run a wire through the firewall. The double din HU is an easy upgrade if you have the single din unit that comes in non-Tech Pack cars. I think the one thing to look for is the backup proximity sensors on the plastic trim above your exhaust/diffuser. If there aren’t four dime sized sensors, then the car was upgraded to have all the options of the listed above that you found. It would mean that they stopped there and didn’t add the subwoofer or the proximity sensors. Both can be added, but will just take more parts and some time.

Attachments

·
Happy To Be Here
859 Posts
Oh, forgot to comment on the subwoofer grate. Yeah, that’s just common paneling so they didn’t have to have another part number.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. No tech pack listed on the sticker so maybe cruise was added. No proximity sensors either. The paneling was what confused me the most!

·
Registered
85 Posts
My '11 was non-tech pack and had no sub, cruise control, or rear view camera. It also came with a single DIN alpine. I replaced the single DIN alpine with a pioneer double DIN (NEX7200), added cruise control and rear view camera. I have it wired for an amp and sub, but haven't installed them yet, as I have to figure out an enclosure for the sub. The stock one (that I would have to buy separately anyhow because the non-tech pack cars dont have the enclosure) is an open air enclosure, not a sealed one. Figure I'll just fab one out of fiberglass when I get a wild hair to make it.

And yes, it has the grill for a sub, but no sub behind it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts