The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd search but couldn't find anything, or could it be that you guys are a lot more tolerable when it comes to bad design?
I've always had this problem ever since I picked up the car, and this is my 2nd set of headlight already. The dealer is willing to replace them under warranty, but they say that this is a design fault and all lotus suffer the same fate. Is it just my luck or this is a common fault?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
What are you talking about, the headlight covers fogging up or what?
Looks like he actually has condensation in the lower half. I have never had this problem with mine. I do have a very slight film that is noticeable with the headlights on. I have seen this on a number of Lotus.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I think that part (most? all?) of it is due to how well you get the headlights seated and how the rubber surrounds interface with them. If it's not perfect and/or tight enough, you run into the problem of moisture getting underneath the headlight housings, which evaporates, enters the headlight housing, and then condenses.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but mine does it all the time, it will clear, but once the engine starts, the lights will fog up soon afterwards :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that part (most? all?) of it is due to how well you get the headlights seated and how the rubber surrounds interface with them. If it's not perfect and/or tight enough, you run into the problem of moisture getting underneath the headlight housings, which evaporates, enters the headlight housing, and then condenses.
I thought the post MY06 are sealed units?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Mine would do that periodically. Usually, after washing the car.
+1

I assume it's warm moist air entering the headlight bezel through the little vent in the front, condensing on the plastic lens, which has been cooled by cold water during rinsing. It usually goes away pretty quickly.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I thought the post MY06 are sealed units?
Also, I think by "sealed", it's meant that they can't be easily disassembled. I don't think they're "hermetically sealed". I believe that there's a small vent in the very front of the bezel to allow temp/humidity equalization.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Looks like he actually has condensation in the lower half. I have never had this problem with mine. I do have a very slight film that is noticeable with the headlights on. I have seen this on a number of Lotus.
I had the film on mine, actually it looked more like a thin layer of plastic coating was peeling off similar to sunburn on your skin. Both headlight covers were replaced under warranty

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, I think by "sealed", it's meant that they can't be easily disassembled. I don't think they're "hermetically sealed". I believe that there's a small vent in the very front of the bezel to allow temp/humidity equalization.
you are right, I remember seeing the MY05 units, which can be disassembled (cover, and the units). But the local dealer told me that the one I have come as one unit and the cover cannot be removed from the unit (or not designed to be separable easily)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
but mine does it all the time, it will clear, but once the engine starts, the lights will fog up soon afterwards :(
This is just a guess, but is it possible that it's more likely to happen on a damp night or morning? Could it be that humidity in the air has condensed onto your oil coolers, and when you start the car it evaporates and enters the headlights through the little vent immediately above? Just a shot in the dark, so to speak...

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
you are right, I remember seeing the MY05 units, which can be disassembled (cover, and the units). But the local dealer told me that the one I have come as one unit and the cover cannot be removed from the unit (or not designed to be separable easily)
That's not correct, if you're saying what I think you are. I had an '05 and you couldn't detach the housings from the covers (ie, the black from the clear).

I was right about the sealed units; they come on 2007+ cars: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/2007-sealed-headlight-shutter-adjustment-52298/

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's not correct, if you're saying what I think you are. I had an '05 and you couldn't detach the housings from the covers (ie, the black from the clear).

I was right about the sealed units; they come on 2007+ cars: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/2007-sealed-headlight-shutter-adjustment-52298/
In that case it must have been the S2 with the Rover engines, their headlight is slightly different to ours, I think we have the extra running light near the top of the headlight.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is just a guess, but is it possible that it's more likely to happen on a damp night or morning? Could it be that humidity in the air has condensed onto your oil coolers, and when you start the car it evaporates and enters the headlights through the little vent immediately above? Just a shot in the dark, so to speak...

morning, night, in the middle of the afternoon, it's all the same. Clear then once engine starts, the light will fog up within 30mins :wallbang:

The local dealer has placed another set of headlight on order under warranty, I'm just afraid if the same thing happens to the new set as well

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
morning, night, in the middle of the afternoon, it's all the same. Clear then once engine starts, the light will fog up within 30mins :wallbang:

The local dealer has placed another set of headlight on order under warranty, I'm just afraid if the same thing happens to the new set as well
IIRC, '06s have DRLs. I suspect that you have some moisture that got under the headlight housings. The DRLs heat up the housings causing the water to evaporate and then condense on the colder headlight cover/lens. That's my theory anyways. Does the condensation go away if you have your headlights on for a bit?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IIRC, '06s have DRLs. I suspect that you have some moisture that got under the headlight housings. The DRLs heat up the housings causing the water to evaporate and then condense on the colder headlight cover/lens. That's my theory anyways. Does the condensation go away if you have your headlights on for a bit?

the condensation goes away when the engine is off and the car is left overnight. I always have the headlights on whenever I drive, and doesn't seem to clear the condensation.

What does DRL stand for btw?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts