The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all you fellow Minnesotans. I'm visiting home and want to take a couple "spirited" drives.

Can anyone suggest a fun twisty road somewhat close to Lake Minnetonka? I want a good two hour route.

I would greatly appreciate it, and welcome anyone who would like to join me.

Josh

·
Registered
705 Posts
Most of the good roads near the west side are along the MN river. The stuff around Lk Minnetonka is heavily patrolled. Once you get too far north or west, the roads get straight and flat. I like to go from Waconia to Chaska, down to Carver, and follow some of the scenic river roads. It isn't as good as a mountain road, but it can be OK. The better roads are probably in the SE metro.

Good luck

·
Registered
417 Posts
:shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift:

Hi Josh three of us were just out Sunday, Chet & his wife Sharon (celling3), Dan (MnLotus) and myself.

We ran Hwy 50 to Welch then into Red Wing across to the Wis. side of the Mississippi and into some of the very many side roads into the buffs of the river then down to Wabasha Hwy 60 - Zumbro Falls to into Minnesota.

Fun......:clap: :clap: ......as they say....... was had by all.

We will be doing this again so lets stay in touch. It's fun and safe to run in groups.

John :shift:

·
Registered
431 Posts
We put on a couple hundred miles on Sunday also, we should of posted on Saturday and hooked up :(

Hi Josh three of us were just out Sunday, Chet & his wife Sharon (celling3), Dan (MnLotus) and myself.

We ran Hwy 50 to Welch then into Red Wing across to the Wis. side of the Mississippi and into some of the very many side roads into the buffs of the river then down to Wabasha Hwy 60 - Zumbro Falls to into Minnesota.

We will be doing this again so lets stay in touch. It's fun and safe to run in groups.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
another recommendation for 60 between Wabasha and Zumbro Falls:

Google Maps

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
:shift: those were some of the best roads i think i have ever taken the lotus on!

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you're staying around Lake Minnetonka and just have a little time away from family commitments, then you can kill a good 3 hours just doing a concentrated lap of the lake. Yes, the road are patrolled, and no you can't drive in a way that will test your Lotus' handling; but it's a very pretty area with some interesting roads.

The best Minnesota roads are in SW Wisconsin. They really start getting interesting from about Maiden Rock south. That's were the Coulee roads really get busy. Look at a Topographical map and the area approaching the river bluffs looks wrinkled like an old woman's eyes... crow's feet... Coulees. And the state of Wisconsin had the good sense to put little roads running up one side and back down the opposite side of most Coulees.
Further inland you will find the alphabet roads... no names, just letters.

It's hard to go wrong, just pick a little road and follow it. However, a drive through the Wisconsin roads is a full day commitment. If you're coming home to see family, taking off may not be the popular choice.

Similarly, there are some pretty good roads east and northeast of White Bear Lake, heading for Scandia and Osceola Wisconsin, then on to Sommerset, Wisc. Again, that's a full day's commitment.

Will you be around on Sept 6th. Join us for a day at Wheels & Wings in Osceola, Wisc.

Have fun,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it looks like I'm going into WI then! I will take a map out and see where your routes intersect and assume that's the sweet spot.

Its too bad the Lotus is in California, I have to deal with a Porsche Turbo:coolnana: while I'm here. I have until the 10th to tag along with you kids if I don't make it out before then.

Josh

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the "White Bear Lake, heading for Scandia and Osceola Wisconsin, then on to Sommerset, Wisc" loop would make the most sense unless anyone has some more input.

·
Registered
417 Posts
:shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift:

HELLO......EVERYONE.

THE DRIVING BUG HAS BITTEN ME AGAIN..........WHO IS UP FOR A SUNDAY AM RUN......... NEED TO BE HOME BY 3:00PM

THINKING OF A START TIME AROUND 8-9:00AM AND HEADING INTO RED WING........ON TO WIS.......GETTING LOST, AND WHO KNOWS

WHAT SAY MY FELLOW MN......PEOPLE?

:shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift: :shift:

MAN I LIKE DOING THAT.......................:shift: :shift: :shift: :shift:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
This is a very SWEET twisty road !!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts