The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just picked up a cup car and I've got the plate diff. Not familiar with the transmission layout for the Toyota power train yet. Does the diff use oil from the gearbox (transaxel configuration) or do you need to fill the diff separately? I've had very good luck with Mobil 1 75-90 gear oil in other transaxel boxes with plate diffs so I would like to use it in my cup car. However, Mobil 1 gear oil does not like yellow metals. Does the Toyota gearbox have any yellow metals in it?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I don't own a cup car (unfortunately) but I believe it is the same transmission as every other lotus, so do the MT-90 and be done w/ it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I saw the Mobil 1 - 75W/90 in my local parts store. It is API GL-5 which is recommend by Lotus. Why so many adamant about Redline MT-90 or Motul given Havoline Multigear S is the Lotus recommended brand...?

Havoline superseded by:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
For the record, I've only used MT-90 75W/90 & Mobil-1 5W/40 and have exceeded 150k miles with no issues. Just curious...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Just noticed on the MWR site that they recommend using only Valvoline Synchromesh for a NA street driven car or a custom blend with MT-90 for varying degrees of track use... Can anyone opine on using only the Synchromesh?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Amsoil has this:

Amsoil 75W-90.jpg

Everyone is still using MT-90???

·
Premium Member
12,080 Posts
The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,222 Posts
I am also an MT-90 user, with LSD and no LSD

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
899 Posts
My understanding is that a decade or so ago people here (EliseTalk at the time) experimented with a lot of different trans lube choices and decided on the MT-90 or MT-90 + an additive gave better shifting (synchro function) than any of the other options.

Senior members, please correct me as needed - I haven't read all of those fine, vintage threads.

My ancient '92 Celica uses the same synchro layout in it's C56 transmission, so will probably swap this in as it's due for a fluid change. I think my Elise already has MT-90 as it shifts very well.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Another plus for MT-90!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts