The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a free Mobil M1-103 oil filter (which is listed for the Toyota engine), but I see that most LT folks who go with the Mobil filter use the M1-209. Is there any real difference? Will the 103 work OK?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've got a free Mobil M1-103 oil filter (which is listed for the Toyota engine), but I see that most LT folks who go with the Mobil filter use the M1-209. Is there any real difference? Will the 103 work OK?
The 103 is the normal filter for the 2ZZ in a Celica, so it should work OK. I think the 209 is a bit larger.

·
Registered
723 Posts
For the street it doesn't matter. But for the track use the TRD or 103 (same size and make); lose the M1-209.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not arguing, but curious..

Why ?

·
Registered
531 Posts
For the street it doesn't matter. But for the track use the TRD or 103 (same size and make); lose the M1-209.
I'm sure there's a very logical reason as to why the smaller filter is better for the track... something like quicker return to engine? (total guess)...

why is the smaller filter better?

·
Registered
725 Posts
....something like quicker return to engine?
Not really...

You lose the weight of the additional oil volume and...

that's about it.

Perhaps the packaging in the Celica dictates using that small of a filter.

The only other reason for TRD to go with a small (or larger) filter is if they were trying to tune out vibrations with a change in mass. (Resonant freq's)

·
Registered
723 Posts
...only because you have no need for the larger filtering capacity (volume) or longer serviceability (extended performance). Save your money.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
...only because you have no need for the larger filtering capacity (volume) or longer serviceability (extended performance). Save your money.
I see no reason to discourage the use of the Mobil filter, even for track usage. More filter area is always a good thing, permits more flow, and has no down side. I doubt the Toyota filter is appreciably cheaper.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I see no reason to discourage the use of the Mobil filter, even for track usage. More filter area is always a good thing, permits more flow, and has no down side. I doubt the Toyota filter is appreciably cheaper.
That is not my point. Nor did I say only use the TRD. The smaller Mobile filter is the same.
For a track car more filter area is not always a good thing nor does it permit more flow. The flow comes from the holes at the base of the filter not the element. That is why K&N oil filters aren’t such a good thing (small orifices). Do some research about filters for the street and track by speaking with some engineers about the subject. Then tells us what you find.
But more to the point, for a street car it doesn’t really matter. And do you plan on going 15,000 miles before an oil service, tracking the car?

·
Registered
723 Posts
At my local Advance Auto the M-103 and M-209 are the same price. Actually, all of the Mobil filters are priced within about $0.50 of each other.
Same total cross-sectional orifice size?
Same filter material?
Both could be -- I really don't care either way. I'm just old school: 15,000 miles between oil service is just wrong.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Same total cross-sectional orifice size?
Same filter material?
Both could be -- I really don't care either way. I'm just old school: 15,000 miles between oil service is just wrong.
I haven't looked closely enough at the filters to answer your questions... but I do understand the old school...

My wife's minivan's service schedule includes changing the oil every 5Kmiles but the filter only every 10Kmiles. Even with the "long life filters" I still just can't do it. That filter is changed every 5Kmiles. I even have trouble waiting the extra 2K over the every 3Kmiles that I normally use.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Concerning the Mobil 1 Extended Performance filters...and advice from forum posters...
I just returned from PepBoys where I looked at the return orifices. You get 33% more return holes (of the same diameter) with the 103 compared to the 209. Bottom line: for a street car it doesn't matter but for a track car use the 103 or the TRD.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The M1-209 is the go-to filter, whether for race or not, as the media is the constraint on oil flow rather than the holes at the bottom of the filter. Note that oil must flow through both the filter media and holes, so you can't simply disregard the media and look at the exterior.

A nice teardown comparison of a handful of options now that the Toyota 90915-10004 is hard to find can be found at: BOE Fabrication - Lotus Elise, Exige, and Evora Performance ECM Tuning Products

John

·
Registered
456 Posts
One guy's first hand experience:

Six years of 12-15 track days per year.
Fresh Mobil One 5W40 turbo diesel truck oil & Mobil M1-209 every three track days (sometimes stretched to 4 if doing a 4-day extended track weekend)
Just did a compression test this off-season showing 16.5-17 bar / cylinder.

No interest in debating hypotheticals as to which filter is better, 103 may very well be the best. I’m going to stick with what I know to have worked exceptionally well for me and I would suggest that it is probably ok for others who might track their car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts