The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love the rear diffuser and would like to make it a little more polished in it's look. My idea would to be to have the aluminum diffuser buffed/polished and then clear coat it. I think it would stand out more and look very bad a$$ (particulary on dark cars). What do you guys think?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>I love the rear diffuser and would like to make it a little more polished in it's look. My idea would to be to have the aluminum diffuser buffed/polished and then clear coat it. I think it would stand out more and look very bad a$$ (particulary on dark cars). What do you guys think?<<<

I've given thought to doing the same thing. There are also some elements of the frame visible from the interior that might also be candidates.

BTW the diffuser can be kept cleaner if you apply Rejex. (This stuff is great for minimizing brake dust build-up while simplifying clean up.... to a quick hit with water and sometimes a quick brushing with no scrubbing or chemicals) You can get road dirt and tar on the diffusers, and the exhaust tip vicinity can get sooty. Rejex was first developed to help airplanes stay cleaner - easy to get soot off of the exterior portions near engine exhausts. It lasts about 4-6 months.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I'm thinking powder coat black.
Chris
PS> I do need to try this rejex. as I know the soot specs cause some staining to the alum, I noticed when I was mounting the quik release undertray kit.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Stan said:
I've given thought to doing the same thing. There are also some elements of the frame visible from the interior that might also be candidates.
Bad idea IMHO and probably voids the anti-corrosion warranty on the chassis as you would be removing the protective anodisation layer if you polish the aluminium.

Anyone can do to their car what they like, but I would personally *never* remove the anodised top layer from aluminium. It *will* corrode/oxidize rapidly without it..

Bye, Arno.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Bad idea IMHO and probably voids the anti-corrosion warranty on the chassis as you would be removing the protective anodisation layer if you polish the aluminium. Anyone can do to their car what they like, but I would personally *never* remove the anodised top layer from aluminium. It *will* corrode/oxidize rapidly without it.. <<<

Well when you do something like this you'd replace the anticorrion aspects of the anodizing with a clear coat finish. You don't leave the aluminum bare naked. Else you'd have to repolish the whole thing constantly in addition to worrying about other matters!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts