The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I got excited when I first saw this, but after looking a bit deeper it seems like it'd be of limited usefulness. It will lay down a coil or something, but it doesn't actually "weave" the CF. I guess you could make it do a sort of weave in certain cases, but mostly it looks like all it can do is either a coil or a series of short strips. Still nifty, but probably not usable to make random CF bits for cheap :(

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
Woven cf is actually weak' you don't really want that, it just looks cool'

Un-woven or unifiber is waaay better

"Stuff that looks like matted fiberglass"

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
712 Posts
Woven cf is actually weak' you don't really want that, it just looks cool'

Un-woven or unifiber is waaay better

"Stuff that looks like matted fiberglass"

I'm not sure that's 100% accurate. The last time I read up on carbon fiber, there was a different way of looking at it (circa 2003 research). First of all, carbon filaments have very high tensile strength and that's about it. In order to make this more robust, carbon fiber is weaved in very specific ways to provide strength in more than a bidirectional way. Unidirectional, plain , and twill weaves all were used for the addition strength in the weave in certain applications.

I really fail to see how a weave with multiple angular reinforcements could be weaker than a unidirectional layout that only has strength in polar movement. Could you explain it further by chance?

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
I'll explain with the least words possible

Carbon 2x2twill has tensional strength in 4 directions

Un-uniform has it 50+ directions

Because the string goes in multiple directions not just up and down.

Plus the weave is not as compressed , leads to more resin, weaker parts'

The weaving of fiber was originated to make it easier to form to curved surfaces that's it'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts