The Lotus Cars Community banner

341 - 360 of 535 Posts

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #341 (Edited)
ms355 said:
The track in the second pic looks like a bobrun. Maybe pictures of Olympic facilities in Sapporo or Nagano?
I thought of that also. Some kind of sports training facility? The name on the photos is *syougatsu*, I googled on that, and it is a word for Japanese festivals, something like our Fourth of July holiday. Very big festivals.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
zOOmz, I hope you won't mind if I take one or two of these as a future avatar. I love the leopard escaping the UPC cage.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
slaughtr said:
zOOmz, I hope you won't mind if I take one or two of these as a future avatar. I love the leopard escaping the UPC cage.
Help yourself. :) If you need any assistance (with the gif, let me know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
nvrblu said:
guess what
First, sorry to drag up an old post... Been very busy lately.

No one guessed what this was. At first I thought it might be some sort of particle accelarator facility. However, I then noticed the angles of all the structures, and it's likely some sort of mine shaft or mountain transportations system. The angles seem to be pretty steep from the picture, so whatever it is, it's either really deep or really tall. Probably deep.

So anyway, what is it?

Also, to comment on some of the later posts, "Man vs. Nature." Sorry humans, but nature will always win. You may not notice it, but Mother Nature is a force which man has yet to tame. Slowly but surely, as evidenced by the pictures in the post, nature will take over...

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Regarding post #289 -- not abandoned -- not ruins

DocVijay said:
First, sorry to drag up an old post... Been very busy lately.

No one guessed what this was. At first I thought it might be some sort of particle accelarator facility. However, I then noticed the angles of all the structures, and it's likely some sort of mine shaft or mountain transportations system. The angles seem to be pretty steep from the picture, so whatever it is, it's either really deep or really tall. Probably deep.

So anyway, what is it?

Also, to comment on some of the later posts, "Man vs. Nature." Sorry humans, but nature will always win. You may not notice it, but Mother Nature is a force which man has yet to tame. Slowly but surely, as evidenced by the pictures in the post, nature will take over...
This is the inside of the McMath-Pierce Solar Telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory near Tucson, AZ.

My brother was doing Post-Doc work there in the 80s (he has a PhD in Astronomy and Astrophysics). He had the keys so he opened the door from the glass-enclosed "tourist observation room" and let me climb up inside. I experienced a bit Vertigo because unfamiliar slope of the walls.

Here's a photo of a model and an arial view of KPNO.

Attachments

341 - 360 of 535 Posts