The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Randy,
Now that some owners are starting to do mods, can we put together a modification file?

Well I owned the car for a little over 48 hrs and I've done my first mod. I removed the Blaupunkt Los Angeles radio(sucked badly) and all 4 speakers.
If you are interested in loosing 10+lbs. of fat from your featherweight car! Carefully lift the grilles out of their nesting rings on the dash then remove the four screws and apply upward pressure to the speakers that are sort of sunken into the dash synthetic material. Once you disconnect the wires and tuck them back into the dash holes screw the nesting rings back down to the dash then re-insert the speaker grilles and work the edge in a circular pattern while tabbing in the lower edge of the grilles with a small flat screw driver. The rear speakers can be removed by the same method. Then remove the radio with the supplied wire hook loops supplied in the radio box. Now you have an excellent cubby in the middle of the dash. You can get a Boxster cubby(black plastic with rubber bottom for about 26$ at your local Porsche dealer)
Like me you might want to loose another 5lbs of fat by removing the rear finish panel, THICK insulation pad, and the associated top roll bar trim panel thereby exposing the beautiful ROLL BAR! Why would they ever have covered it up in the first place? Oh, another few ounces was saved by removing the seat belt upper pulley trim pieces. I went on to pull out the seats and remove ALL of the "Touring pack" carpeting.
I now have much more storage in my car and will have the area behind the seats upholstered(glued down) in a nice black alcantara.:clap: :clap:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Someone's on a dieting rampage. :)

I too am curious about the naked rollbar. Pics?

Why get touring pack if you're removing the radio, speakers, padding, carpet..?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Just spend a couple minutes pulling fuse number 10 (3rd in from the driver's side on the row near the windshield).

The fusebox lives under the passenger side front cover - those triangular panels ahead of the windshield and held on by an allen bolt. The correct tool is in the tool roll. The end of the panel near the central "spine" is retained via two metal prongs that fit into rubber bushings in the spine. You can yank or replace the fuse in maybe two minutes or less.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually didn't want anything in the Touring package except the lighter power windows. The car I bought was not the car that I ordered so I just took it as it was.. It's kind of becoming a hybrid of sorts.. I will continue to lighten the car as much as possible and am eager to hear of other mods to that end...
The Black stripes on Chrome Orange made me do something stupid, but I'm OK with it!!:p

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try to post pics of the roll bar but am pretty bad with computers and digital cameras. Maybe Andy can come over and bring his camera?
Chrome Orange Sport / T***ing slowly loosing the touring parts....

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
hey perry,
maybe early next week. this week i'm swamped!
i'll bring the digital camera and if I can't figure out a way to post them i'll forward them to a moderator and he can post.

i'm anxious to see the car!

andy

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Add a lighter exhaust, save some pounds. QS is 14 lbs, Stage 2 is 18. Standard is 28??

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Is your car LSS? If not, put SSRs on it. They are lighter than the standard rims, and you can actually buy them, inlike the LSS rims, which I have not been able to get.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Oh yeah-get on a treadmill. Certainly there's a pound or two you can lose :)

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
ditch the A/C in its entirity, in your part of cali it not needed anywho...

~30 lbs

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The car is a sport touring so it does have the wheels. I may purchase a set of the SSR's for my Hoosiers though.
YES YES I want to delete the AC! Is there a removal thread anywhere? Do I have to change to a different serpentine belt or ??:D

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
fitfan said:
ditch the A/C in its entirity, in your part of cali it not needed anywho...

~30 lbs
you'll gain almost 4 hp if you do.

or you can get the sport pack and stage 2 exhaust and you'll save 30lbs also.

how much does the stereo weigh? 15 lbs?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stereo & 4 speakers were approx 10lbs. Rear trim panels and block of firewall foam was an estimated 5lbs more.
And I do have the sport exhaust...

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Im going to buy some sweet goggles and remove the windshield. It must weight 20-30lbs!

:)

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I pulled the gas cap cover and bolts (@ 9.8oz) to have them powder coated but may just leave them off the car, looks fine..
A little more like a true track car....:p

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
All those folks at Hethel are probably cringing reading this thread. "We did all that work, and this guys is tearing it all down!" :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts