The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was pulled over tonight for not having a front plate. The officer gave me a fix it ticket for my front plate but he said my exhaust was illegal. It is a Larini 8inch club sport which is a cat back so I don't see how I got cited for emissions. I was cited for the violation 27156 (b) cvc/modified emissions. The officer just said your exhaust is illegal. Anyway, It says that I must go to a state referee now. Does anyone have a similar set up or similar experience? This is the first time I've received such a ticket so any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I was pulled over for doing a heel-toe downshift, the officers said that i had accelerated when i passed them. I saw you coming out of the parking lot why would accelerate after i seeing you. They asked for my drivers license and the works.

The partner then started asking questions about the car. Weight, do you track, HP, ect. (nice guy) then Mr. uptight asked if i had done any mods. I think for a sec, i think i should be truthful so I tell them i have a aftermarket exhaust. He then goes on to say its illegal and you can't just go around changing exhaust because you want it to be louder.

Back to his partner he then asks me where do you store all your stuff, I chuckle and pop the boot, make a joke about its a great grocery getter. He then spots my plate in the back, I tell them the car does not come with the bracket for the plate attached and i haven't had a chance to go to the dealer to have them drill the fiberglass. I tell them I don't know how to work fiberglass and don't want to screw up a 70k car.

I then see out the corner of my eye the other cop tries to hand over my info to the other officer and he declines (whew I know I'm off the hook). He tells me to stop driving like a jackass and lets me go.

First time I've been let off being pulled over. From what I have heard when you get refereed for an exhaust just put the stocker back on and have it inspected. You can try and get inspected with your current exhaust and see if they let that pass, I highly doubt that they will know what is stock and what isn't. I can't lie about my setup because "MAGNAFLOW" is written on my muffler, kinda hard to pass that off as stock.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Ugh, that sucks. If you have gotten 27150 they would only check to see if your exhaust is below 95db's at around 4000RPM. The refs don't care what other parts you have on the car, only the loudness of the exhaust.

Your 27156 looks like an emissions related ticket which many people get for exhausts,intakes, blowoff valves, etc... They WILL check everything on the car to ensure its smog compliant. The refs know every single trick in the book to "hide" stuff. So you won't get anything past them. So, you can either bring the car back to stock and have the ref inspect the car. Or, just pay off the fine, but if you get caught again the fine will go up.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ugh... I was worried about that. So they're just checking for smog compliance and nothing else? I don't have to worry about having the engine dampener in there?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
the cop likely wouldn't know the cup car intake isn't factory, but the state ref might, the airbox might not be stickered.

like 25p says if its a cat back its only illegal if its louder, exhausts aren't covered by emissions (for cat-backs) only noise, but not all state refs are aware of it so make sure you are.

Exhaust Noise and the Law California USA

engine dampeners they don't care, just anything thats part of the emissions chain

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Hopefully you don't have a standalone ECU because the refs need to plug in their computers to your OBDII port and/or any funky wires being spliced form the factory ECU. On my local evo forum, we got an entire thread dedicated to "Law enforcement/smog laws" since we encounter these types of issues all the time. Here's some people's experiences with 27156

SoCalEvo.net : 27156 Altered emmisions Fine $361

SoCalEvo.net : So..I got the typical 27156 Modified Emissions.

SoCalEvo.net : I just got a emission ticket 27156(b) & 24004???HELP!!!

SoCalEvo.net : has anyone had to go to a referee for a modifed emissions ticket?

SoCalEvo.net : My state ref experience

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
this is what happens when you allow these seemingly simply laws to get in and get a grip.

it rarely has anything to do with air quality ( after all they made cats mandatory ) its just money collection, since if the car passes emisisons inspections at the state ref it still fails without the CARB/EO paperwork and the fees that go with it, even if its better than it was stock.

join sema san

SEMA SAN - SEMA ACTION NETWORK

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
something as simiple as colored vaccum lines can get you in trouble....

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the inspection or getting pulled over? I have the rear panel delete on my car so he could have seen in plain site that i didn't modify my catalytic converter. He didn't bother to look he just saw that my muffler was shiny which to him meant illegal.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is what happens when you allow these seemingly simply laws to get in and get a grip.

it rarely has anything to do with air quality ( after all they made cats mandatory ) its just money collection, since if the car passes emisisons inspections at the state ref it still fails without the CARB/EO paperwork and the fees that go with it, even if its better than it was stock.

join sema san

SEMA SAN - SEMA ACTION NETWORK
After being treated like a criminal for having a cat back exhaust I plan to join sema san asap. These laws are getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Usually in SoCal, if the cops are unsure about something on the car, they'll write the ticket anyways and then they'll let the referees/court system decide if you're innocent or guilty

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
For the inspection or getting pulled over? I have the rear panel delete on my car so he could have seen in plain site that i didn't modify my catalytic converter. He didn't bother to look he just saw that my muffler was shiny which to him meant illegal.
I would think that the rear panel delete/exposed exhaust/larger tip would raise the officer's curiosity level, as it just doesn't "look" to be factory.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Many socal import car guys have spray painted our mufflers/tips black for the "stealth look" so it doesn't give the cops a reason to pull import cars over. Even if they don't hear a loud exhaust, they'll still pull over cars with shiny mufflers and big tips and usually issue modified exhaust tickets CVC 27150. Not sure if you want to go that route....

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I also carry this in my car in case i get hassled for my exhaust. You might wanna copy & paste the info with your exhaust manufacturer's logo:

It may/may not help with future exhaust tickets...

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I have a dB reader too, they're cheap and cheerful from radio shack/frys, but i don't know the chances of persuading the cop its valid or even if they'll let you test it, since its got little to do with the exhaust noise, more than likely they're saying modified car equals street racer, solution hassle, not car guy, likes modifiying cars, gets bad experience with cops, ends up with dislike for cops and starts a myspace page dedicated to gangsta rap where the lyrics have a distinct anti cop/system message .

hopefully tom cruise with his powers will step in before it gets to that.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just updating my experience with this emissions ticket. I called the number on the back of the citation today to schedule an appointment for an inspection with a state referee. It turns out they're closed due to the state budget crisis. I tried contacting the court through phone but it's automated and the only options by phone is to process the ticket and pay the fine by phone (bureaucracy at it's finest). I then attempted to contact the sheriff's department but have not received a response yet.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Just updating my experience with this emissions ticket. I called the number on the back of the citation today to schedule an appointment for an inspection with a state referee. It turns out they're closed due to the state budget crisis. I tried contacting the court through phone but it's automated and the only options by phone is to process the ticket and pay the fine by phone (bureaucracy at it's finest). I then attempted to contact the sheriff's department but have not received a response yet.
What was the number? try 800-622-7733

What other mods do you have done to the car?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Better file an extension to get your court date moved forward

1 - 20 of 36 Posts