The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread detailed some really bad luck of a member’s emissions ticket in CA and some great input on the subject.

I had planned on an above diffuser exhaust/rear panel delete (for looks and heat removal) for street use in the canyons out here, but now I am wondering if it is worth the potential hassle – even when legal. It is easy enough to go back to stock, but a day off of work to meet with a referee (if that option is even available!) is not my idea of fun or economical. Any thoughts on the following:

1. Is it worth the potential hassle to go to an above diffuser exhaust?

2. Would back-dating the rear panels (on ’08 to an earlier version) to get a side panel opening exit or a panel delete and mesh to keep some kind of cover-up make a difference?

3. Is the air flow disruption of a below diffuser exhaust exit significant enough for street use to justify only going above the diffuser?

4. Anyone happy with or have a pic of their diffuser exit exhaust? (I was considering a 2bular 7x24)

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
exhaust ticket...if its just for noise, is dismissable if you get it corrected
getting a fine for emissions is a different story
all i did was add an after market muffler from Von Hep...OEM header...OEM catalytic...loud, but passes emission

·
Registered
912 Posts
Pulled over once and didn't write me up for it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Depends on how valuable your free time is... not worth it for me...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RoadDad: I know, don't want to get caught! Good to know on the air flow. I have those panel pics for reference on "bumperette" removal - that was exactly the plan. The plan just changed :wallbang:

FLuXeXigeS: Thanks for the pic - that is the look I was aiming for, with the possibility of a mid panel delete with mesh in its place. The time it would take to get it dismissed is the problem.

Sh4rkattk: I probably won't be that lucky.

Cali: That's the problem - time away from the office makes it not worth it.

Looks like I will have to adjust my plans (or move out of CA......)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Here's what the ref gave me after i barely passed the sound test for CVC 27150 Modified Exhaust. This type of ticket, they don't care what mods were on the car, even if you had NOS bottle sitting in your front seat an its on. They only care if your exhaust is below 95db's at a certain RPM

As FluxExigeS said above, if you get an emissions related ticket, that's a totally different ballgame.

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's what the ref gave me after i barely passed the sound test for CVC 27150 Modified Exhaust. This type of ticket, they don't care what mods were on the car, even if you had NOS bottle sitting in your front seat an its on. They only care if your exhaust is below 95db's at a certain RPM

As FluxExigeS said above, if you get an emissions related ticket, that's a totally different ballgame.
Well, I guess I could pass that test with the right exhaust, the time it takes out of my day is not a plus; and I also had plans for a sport cat, so that may now be out of the question too. Dang it!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Diffuser hole exit looks cool anyway...
Well, the diffuser hole exhaust would not be my first choice. It reminds me of Ben Stiller in "There's Something About Mary" when he gets his junk stuck in his zipper - it just doesn't seem like it is supposed to exit there. :shrug: Why doesn't Lotus just do a dual tip above diffuser exhaust! Hey, for '09, Lotus, here that? :bow:

·
shay2nak
24,982 Posts
my exhaust is setup like Coi's. pulled over 3 times, no mention of loudness or whatever. got to keep the stock look.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
are all US Exige stock models certified for all 50 states? Currently purchasing an 06 Exige and live in CA. Where is the emissions sticker located? Thx in advance gurus...

·
Registered
425 Posts
main reason i wont move to CA.. love for cars is too great to always be getting hassled for it.. cops popen hoods and such.. its insane..

·
Registered
385 Posts
but Infineon and Laguna are worth the move... but you are limited in db on those tracks anyways... hahahaha

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Well, the diffuser hole exhaust would not be my first choice. It reminds me of Ben Stiller in "There's Something About Mary" when he gets his junk stuck in his zipper - it just doesn't seem like it is supposed to exit there. :shrug: Why doesn't Lotus just do a dual tip above diffuser exhaust! Hey, for '09, Lotus, here that? :bow:
rotfl

1 - 20 of 22 Posts