The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the most part, the Elise/Exige have few real issues on track. Unfortunately fuel starvation is one of the real problems that needs to be addressed. It is a serious condition that has led to blown motors.

We have released our fuel tank solution for this issue. [email protected] is modifying stock fuel tanks with new baffling and trap doors to successfully combat starvation. He has run an Exige S down to 1 gallon of fuel with no issues on slicks. Ralph has been data logging fuel pressure diligently and has discovered that our cars are getting dangerously low even BEFORE the driver feels the cut-out.

A key advantage of our solution is that all of your emissions and safety related parts remain intact. We also clean the failing sealant out of your tank. Our solution fixes the problem at the root - which is the stock baffling. I've posted more pix and info about the mods on our BLOG.

We are charging $650 on a exchange basis. You will send us your tank then we will send you a modified tank. Please call us BEFORE you send your tank. Our # 951-296-6762

Currently we are looking for more fuel tank cores. If you have one you would like to sell us, please contact me.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Does the new baffling contain any sort of sealant of its own, or is all the new baffling metallic?

·
Registered
330 Posts
The new baffles are made out of S.S. They fit on the edges about the same as the OE baffle. The OE sealant is not the root cause. The root cause is the design of the baffle itself. I only use a small amount of sealant in the corners.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm just glad there are so many creative and talented individuals and companys willing to engineer all the fixes necessary to make the Elise/Exige live up to it's potenial.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well now everyone can see the root cause. Those big holes can’t keep the fuel on the LH side with the fuel pump. If you take a hard LH turn all the fuel just goes up and through those big holes and fast. What hasn’t made it over to the RH side is too far away from the fuel pump pick up to make it to the motor. When I first opened up a tank I could not believe this ever made it off the drawing board (ok CAD terminal). As well you can see the adhesive is a very small part of the problem. I would assume that the glue was an attempt to band aid an inadequate design. My opinion anyway. Not to slam Lotus, it's alwasy easy to second guess a current design.

Just a note. At 1G the fuel would be at a 45 degree angle to the bottom of the tank. The higher the Gs the steeper the fuel angle. The stepper the angle the further the fuel gets away from the pump. Now add bumping around on the track. The pump has no change to see any fuel.

If you don't upgrade your system. Keep your tank topped when on the track.

So how do you get such nice pictures of the baffle? Well you just cut the end off the tank :D.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Not to slam Lotus, it's always easy to second guess a current design.
Well I don't have a problem with slamming Lotus. I blew my motor because of their crappy designed fuel tank. If they are trying to build long-term customers, they are not doing a very good job.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
How hard is it to take out the fuel tank?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Can someone please explain to me how this would be better than a fuel surge tank?

TIA.
Less weight, and fewer potential points of failure (fewer hose connections, I assume, and no surge tank in the loop).

·
Registered
677 Posts
Also no cutting of the fuel lines you have.
Take out old tank then fit new tank.

The fuel surge tank method is probably better at getting consistent fuel pressures but it's still using the stock pump in the tank as a lifter so it'll still have problems getting the fuel out of the tank udner hard cornering. You're then running on whats left in the surge tank. As long as the surge tank is large enough (and slim enough) then they'll be no problems.

For what it's worth the FIA bag tank has zero surge problems and only uses one way baffles and safety foam to do it's job.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I was just thinking that foam would be a great way to go.

Shinoo, any chance of using foam?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was just thinking that foam would be a great way to go.

Shinoo, any chance of using foam?
No reason to. Our solution has been run down to 1 gallon with no issues.

We may offer a fuel cell in the near future - for now our V2 tank mod works like a charm and maintains CARB & safety features.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Shinoo,
What is the turnaround time on the swap, and is the $650 all in or are there additional shipping expenses?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shinoo,
What is the turnaround time on the swap, and is the $650 all in or are there additional shipping expenses?
Yes, shipping cost is additional. CA residents will have to pay tax as well. Give us a call and we can provide you a firm #.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I know you said that emission part remains intact, BUT does it void the emission warranty from LOTUS because you are modifying a fuel tank? I believe emission warranty is like 6 years?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Doesn't it make more sense to just buy a new fuel tank? I bought one from Eliseparts that is half the weight of the OEM tank and fixes the problem for about the same amount of $$

·
Registered
438 Posts
Doesn't it make more sense to just buy a new fuel tank? I bought one from Eliseparts that is half the weight of the OEM tank and fixes the problem for about the same amount of $$
Mind sharing some extra information on this? and was it put into a Fed car?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mind sharing some extra information on this? and was it put into a Fed car?
Search for proalloy...or go to www.eliseparts.com and you can see the product. It should fit into a fed car but you can ask them just to be sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts