The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am at a crossroads and need some advice. I have a bone stock 2005 Elise and am looking at starting to upgrade it with a REV-300 and limited slip differential but then thought that maybe I should consider an Exige. My problem is that I do not know what the differences really are other than the body (and associated aerodynamics) and power output. What are the pros and cons of upgrading to the Exige? I love the simplicity of my 2005, what are the added electronics like?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
578 Posts
go exige 260,upgrades to the suspension setup transmission steering feel and supercharger setup and carbon components found in the exige would probably run you over 15k to upgrade on a elise.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I would say keep the Elise, do the Rev400 with supporting mods and some suspension and hold on

·
Registered
91 Posts
Entirely depends on your interest in either option and personal preference. (Frankin, Modified or stock)

I just built & dropped a K20 in an 05 and converted to Exige body. It was a LOT of work and not cheap, even doing all the work myself.
BUT I created EXACTLY what "I" wanted and have the satisfaction of the accomplishment. Not to mention the childish grin from ear to ear every time I drive it!
Either way you go is a great idea!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Get the Exige. It's more of a race car than the Elise.
Such a blind statement.

Honestly man, you've already got the '05 Elise and it's really not hard to drop in a k24A2 or K20A2 and make more power with bolt-ons than an S260. Repairable Exige clams are easy to find and not that expensive either.

You'd lose more money for the power gain selling your car and buying an Exige than you would keeping your car and swapping a k-series in it. Plus, even if you go with the Exige, you still have the same ****ty transmission you have in the Elise.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
you pay for a lot of stuff that you'll just end up removing with a 260...

Elise: Lighter, handles better (lighter and lower CG), cheaper body panels, less expense to buy, equally as easy to modifiy as Exige.

Exige 260: Better resale (but probably harder to sell), more expensive to buy (so resale better be better), looks cool...

Hrmmm.... Unless you're really jonesing for an Exige, the Elise 2005/2006 is going to be the best value especially if looking to go fast with mods.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Exige! Holds its value better!
Last I checked Elises are going up in value... how can one hold its value better than the other if the depreciation is negative on the one (negative depreciation being a positive value).-poke-:D

·
Registered
432 Posts
you pay for a lot of stuff that you'll just end up removing with a 260...

Elise: Lighter, handles better (lighter and lower CG), cheaper body panels, less expense to buy, equally as easy to modifiy as Exige.

Exige 260: Better resale (but probably harder to sell), more expensive to buy (so resale better be better), looks cool...

Hrmmm.... Unless you're really jonesing for an Exige, the Elise 2005/2006 is going to be the best value especially if looking to go fast with mods.
Thank you, I completely agree. If your intent is to modify, then there's no economic or performance advantage in buying the Exige.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thank you, I completely agree. If your intent is to modify, then there's no economic or performance advantage in buying the Exige.
The Exige has a better aerodynamic design and it was specifically offered for the race track. Arguably it's better looking too.
I understand you can do the mods but one is making a assumption that they know more than the Lotus engineers.
One thing that I will agree with is that a supercharger has limitations where as a turbo setup has a lot more potential.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I say modify the Elise! You still have choice of top on or off and better visability with the Elise. I will caution you though: think hard about what you want to do as total project to the Elise. (ie: power, brakes, and suspension)Thoroughly investigate all options. Make a modification plan in which order to do upgrades. Some are easier to get done as a group, (and cheaper). I have over $35K in upgrades at this time in my Elise, but I have looked at the whole picture. Supercharger, suspension, brakes, etc. Don't make it faster and skimp on braking! They are fantastic cars and even better when upgraded! Best of luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The Exige has a better aerodynamic design and it was specifically offered for the race track. Arguably it's better looking too.
I understand you can do the mods but one is making a assumption that they know more than the Lotus engineers.
One thing that I will agree with is that a supercharger has limitations where as a turbo setup has a lot more potential.
The rumor is that the S2 was supposed to come with a k-series engine and Honda backed out on Lotus when they found out the engines were going into a street legal vehicle. Apparently Toyota whores their engines out to anyone interested and Lotus struck a deal with Toyota on a bunch of 2ZZGEs they had lying around since the Celica GT-S was being discontinued.

That doesn't mean the engineers wouldn't have preferred the K-series over the 2ZZGE and that we know better than them. Maybe their hands were tied?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd say go exige if you have the money. It's better looking, more exclusive, faster, and just more appealing than an elise in general. If you're looking for something to hold on to for a long time I think it would be the better choice :shift:

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
The S260 is a properly sorted factory race car for the street, it's behavior is very predictable and easy to control, it would be hard to improve on this perfect balance. I drive my daily to and from work, I sometimes wish my commute was longer.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Been down both roads....tough call.
My first Elise was a 2005 chrome orange - it eventually turned into a track beast. Adding S/C, aero, suspension, roll cage, etc, etc....I spent more on mods then the car itself.

Now I have an Exige S260, and I have barely touched it in terms of mods. It is my daily driver, and I like it as is.

Modding is fun, but it can be endless and become very expensive

1 - 20 of 39 Posts