The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my 2005 Elise last week and love it but for the seats. I've read through the forums on aftermarket seats but would like input on modifying the existing seat. I'm 6'5" and 200 pounds and am very lean, but my hip bones are wide (to Lotus engineer standards) and they rub on the seat "wings". I shift over and drive offset but know thats not the longterm solution.

I've read about someone who cut their seat and widened it 3" but there werent any other details. What about bending the wings "down" to make it flatter? I cant imagine I'm the first person with this problem but havent found any obvious solutions with searching the forums. Thanks,

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am in a similar place as you. I have found that the "tall rails" that are sold from sector 111 help me fit in the seat better. The extra tilt that they put on the seat make you legs bend a lil bit more and as a result your hips are position a bit narrower. however the extra room is lost on me with my knees hitting the steering wheel. you may have different results if your legs are short...
that said I use a small towel on the bottom of the seat to raise my butt up a bit so my hip bones don't contact the seat. I lose some height but I have about an inch to spare.
you may be better off buying a new seat, if you modify the stock seats it will most likely be about the same price as an aftermarket seat... there isn't much room to make the seat wider, it all comes down to the shape and how the "bucket" is designed.

my 2 cents....

AJ

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
There's a wide seat for sale in the Market sub-forum right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I am too new to the forums and didnt see the marketplace! I was a few minutes too late and they had to be shipped, but looked like a great deal. I will buy some foam and do some shaping to see if I can get the seat bottom higher than the rails as the other poster mentioned. Thats a good idea. I'm not a big fan of the carbon fiber look so I'll see what other seats are out there that will fit that arent carbon (or dont show it).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts