The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What options are there to modify the Elise fenders for additional tire clearance? The approaches used on cars with sheet metal wouldn't seem to apply to an Elise. Of course you could simply cut out part of the fender, but I don't think I could get myself to do that. How can something better be done on a fibreglass body? Who could do that kind of work? Could it be done to look nice and clean? Would it be very expensive?

I don't plan to do this very soon, I just want to learn about the options. Longer term I will probably run in an autocross class that allows wider wheels, and the necessary fender modifications for tire clearance. The ideal setup for that class will most likely require tires considerably wider than anything that would fit under the stock fenders. As an uneducated guess, something like a 225-245 in the front, 245-275 in the rear.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Check out the Elise Esthi. They flared the fenders and slapped on wider wheels. The Elise looks pretty mean w/ flared fenders. Almost like an s1 exige! :eek: Worth considering :p

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. But how is it done? As far as I know, you can't bend fibreglass into a different shape?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I don't like how they just cloned the ducts on the front end. It reminds me of a bad Photoshop job or how they built the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not that this would be SP legal but you could get the rear clam made out of ABS with as big of flares as you want. I know there are a few places out there that could do this.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
My guess is you could mold some wider flares, trim back your fenders, attach the flares, and bondo them and paint to match. Not sure, though, as I've never done it.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
transio said:
Even for the $200k asking price? :D
I never said anything about paying for one. But if someone wants to give me one, that's another story.:D

Once you start talking about spending 200K though, my list gets pretty long. Pretty sure the Esthi wouldn't even make it into my top twenty.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
transio said:
trim back your fenders, attach the flares, and bondo them and paint to match.
You don't "bondo" them. You would get the fiberglass flares, cut you current fiberglass body to fit the new flares, and fiberglass the new flares onto the original body. That's one if the good things about a fiberglass body - it can be repaired relatively easy by someone that knows what they are doing - but the hard part is finding someone that knows what they are doing...

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Tim, true, I didn't think about that! It would be a lot more seamless than working with a sheetmetal car, that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
TimMullen said:
That's one if the good things about a fiberglass body - it can be repaired relatively easy by someone that knows what they are doing - but the hard part is finding someone that knows what they are doing...
Keep in mind though that the fibreglass used in the S2 and Fed-Elise is not of the hand-laid/matting type, but of an injection-moulded (machine-manufactured) type where the resin mixed with glass strands are injected into a stainless steel mould.

So getting a good and stable attachment with 'regular' fibreglass is not that easy here.

The material used on the Elise also doe not react well to repairs and such once it has cracked. Some people try, but at least overhere it hasn't really worked all that well. Repairs remain visible, or stay weak points that crack again later.

S1 clams were still of the glass-mat type and these could usually be repaired OK. S2 clams are pretty much always dumped in the trash if they are damaged.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Hmmm... That's nice to know Arno. I guess I'm still thinking in terms of Elans and Europas...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts