The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<b>EDIT!

False alarm... upon closer inspection (and lots of Photoshop zooming), it wasn't the oil light after all... it was the traction control; somehow the TC light looked red instead of amber in the video, and it's directly under the oil light.

MODS: Should this thread be deleted?

:eek:</b>

For all of you with the Moroso oil pan... has this ever happened to you?

I was making a second gear 90 degree right turn (pulled almost 1G momentarily)... and I thought I'd seen a red light on the dash. I reviewed my ChaseCam video, and sure enough the engine oil pressure light went on for 5 frames (30 fpm) or about 1/6 of a second. It didn't go on until <b>after</b> I started straightening out the wheel. The oil level looks fine, and an earlier 10 second 270 degree right turn on-ramp taken at nearly 1.3G didn't trigger the oil pressure light.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I don't think the Moroso oil pan could cause it unless the trap door baffles are broken, or you're low on oil to begin with...

I've never had it happen, but I also have not taken the Elise to the track yet.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't think the Moroso oil pan could cause it unless the trap door baffles are broken, or you're low on oil to begin with...

I've never had it happen, but I also have not taken the Elise to the track yet.
I just installed the pan. I checked the trap doors by hand... they're all fully functional. I also put about 7 quarts of oil in the engine (~6qts for the pan, and some for the filter), and the dipstick reads full.

I'm wondering whether the trap doors work great while under consistent high Gs, but not so well during unloading... although I'm not sure that 1/6 second with low/no oil pressure is likely to be a highly consequential... (I hope not anyway...)

EDIT: My next mod was going to be an Accusump... but I'm not sure an Accusump could respond to a 1/6 second transient anyway...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I just installed the pan. I checked the trap doors by hand... they're all fully functional. I also put about 7 quarts of oil in the engine (~6qts for the pan, and some for the filter), and the dipstick reads full.

I'm wondering whether the trap doors work great while under consistent high Gs, but not so well during unloading... although I'm not sure that 1/6 second with low/no oil pressure is likely to be a highly consequential... (I hope not anyway...)

EDIT: My next mod was going to be an Accusump... but I'm not sure an Accusump could respond to a 1/6 second transient anyway...
It will, an Accusump is for exactly that purpose. It will supply oil momentarily when pressure drops, but not for extended periods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts