The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
They should. The ones I've seen are universal fit. The mounting hole is large, and comes with adapters to fit narrower sizes. They don't screw in; there are hex screws that hold it in place, and the bottom collar covers them.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan. I think I saw somewhere (I think Lotus UK) that the stock shift knob on the Elise just unscrews, right?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Does it have any theft deterent features? Or will it just screw off the post?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Babak,
I could literally take mine off by just twisting it with my hand, I put on a little red loctite, not going to come off so easy now.;)
Chris
Thanks man, for the life of me I had not thought of that. For some reason I'm fixated on loosing the shift knob. Maybe it's a byproduct of all the S2K shift knobs being stolen when the car had just come out, or the one that was take off the press car! I think I'll locktite it after I put the external gate and paint the center console (hopefully it'll last that long.) :)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Your opinions please. Which shift knob would go better with a black Touring interior.

or

Interior:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Allan,
my opinion they both look too much like billiard balls. I really like the CF one sector 111 has but don't know if I'll get, I'm pretty happy with the factory knob, fits well in the hand, looks good.

I thought I might bling it up a bit to go with the red car, to take red paint and rub over the top and wipe clean leaving red numbers.
Chris

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zvezdah1 said:

I thought I might bling it up a bit to go with the red car, to take red paint and rub over the top and wipe clean leaving red numbers.
That would actually look good. I don't remember, is the knob textured or smooth finish? Any chance of the paint getting in the grain of the finish?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
babak,
that's my one worry, although it's a very faint brushed alum finish, I'm thinking I can apply the paint, wipe excess off pretty quickly than carefully with a little mineral spirits remove any residue (don't know tho, is it clear coated?)
Chris

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
babak,
that's my one worry, although it's a very faint brushed alum finish, I'm thinking I can apply the paint, wipe excess off pretty quickly than carefully with a little mineral spirits remove any residue (don't know tho, is it clear coated?)
Chris
I helped a friend of mine do something similar to the Termi pipes on his 916 and fill in the "ducati" stamp and we had that problem. Here is a thought...use a 30 gauge needle to pick small droplets of paint and dab them into the shift pattern and numbers. 30g should be small enough to fit in the trench. If you leave the knob out on the sun so that it's warmer it should help paint flow down the trench better. The only problem I see with this is paint surface drying faster than it can flow and causing peaks/troughs in the pattern, however, realistically I doubt that would happen. My only experience with this concept is applying cyanoacrylate glue to seal a perforated cornea. I fill a TB syringe and change it the needle from 27 to 30G and glue the cornea. You have to apply almost no back pressure as capillary action draws out the content of the needle shaft.
I've been wanting to do that to the "ducati" stamp on my pipes but haven't because I'm worried that gravity would work against me there.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
I'm thinking about blending a bit of the old with the new. I've always liked the shape of the classis Lotus shift knob. It's a teardrop shape that is found on the late 50's and early 60's Lotus cars - Seven, Elite, Elans, 23, 26R, etc. I've got them on my Elans and on my 41. (photo below of the know in an Elan)

I'm toying with the idea of getting a knob turned for the Elise in aluminum that would be the same size, shape and have the emblem on the top.

Thoughts? Feedback?

Kiyoshi

Attachments

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Good idea,
I"ve a pile of syringes and fine needles I'll try that next weekend I think
Chris
Let me know how it turns out, I like the mental image that I have of the finished product. I don't think it's bling at all but a nice subtle added touch. One other thing, the paint viscosity is probably too high to flow out too much, specially with a 30g, some larger gauges may help.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
khamai said:
I'm thinking about blending a bit of the old with the new. I've always liked the shape of the classis Lotus shift knob. It's a teardrop shape that is found on the late 50's and early 60's Lotus cars - Seven, Elite, Elans, 23, 26R, etc. I've got them on my Elans and on my 41. (photo below of the know in an Elan)

I'm toying with the idea of getting a knob turned for the Elise in aluminum that would be the same size, shape and have the emblem on the top.

Thoughts? Feedback?

Kiyoshi
I was thinking about something similar, only actually using an elan knob :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
khamai said:

Thoughts? Feedback?

Kiyoshi
I'll take one! In machined-finish Ti. But without the emblem.

Just curious how that would interface with the Reverse-lock mechanism.

Pity it'll never shift like the Elan...

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
I'll take one! In machined-finish Ti. But without the emblem.

Just curious how that would interface with the Reverse-lock mechanism.

Pity it'll never shift like the Elan...
I think we could avoid any problems with the Rev-lockout by maintaining the thread depth of the knob (keep it from screwing down too far).

If it's done in Al, it could be anodized in an assortment of colors. Could be done with & without the emblem.

Looks like I need to talk to my machinest! :)

And... NOTHING shifts like the Elan!!! :clap: :clap:

Kiyoshi

1 - 20 of 33 Posts