The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got so tired of the sticky airbag cover I could not take it anymore. Ordered a Momo Race wheel, comes in a nice grey metallic to match my car well. Also went with the NRG quick release kit. It made the gauges easier to see, it so much more comfortable and well, its sexy too. Used the resistor to prevent the airbag light from coming on, it came with everything from GRP.

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
66 Posts
Dang, yeah. Love the look. Wish there was an aftermarket version with an airbag :p I just can't psychologically daily this thing without an airbag.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, love the look. I have a Momo on there now but need to go back to OEM w/airbag. Are you selling yours by chance?
Sure, I can do that. The steering wheel is in perfect shape, the airbag is "sticky" and had a scratch on the silver ring. I will shoot some pics tonight and PM them to you. Not sure what a fair price would be?

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Love the look. Can you describe all of the parts needed for this conversion? I’m planning on doing this and I want to make sure that I have everything needed. Also, how involved was the installation? Did you use the capacitor for the airbag light?
Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks right to me. Yes, I used a resistor for the airbag light. The entire project took me about an hour. Just be sure you disconnect your battery before you touch anything involving an airbag.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Big fan of my Momo wheel as well. Previous owner installed it with a quick release.

How do you like that gated shifter? I think its really cool looking, but wondering how smoothly it works.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The gated shiftier is cool, I just like the look in all honesty. It works great, make sure you have reinforced your shifter and you may need to make small adjustments to get it perfect. I got mine from GRP

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I did the same but with the Momo R1960/32S. Would have liked the centre to be Color matched to the interior of the car, but maybe a project for the winter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Robocop305, I just realized there is one thing additional you will need. When you pull the steering where off the 4 allen bolts have washers on them from the factory. These washers are to large to work with the adapter so you will need to get 4 new allen bolts. I would suggest to just be ready to run down to you local hardware store to get them once you have it apart.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Have a removable steering wheel is a pretty good anti-theft device. Just make sure to remove and stow it so some wanker doesn't steal the wheel.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Hey Robocop305, I just realized there is one thing additional you will need. When you pull the steering where off the 4 allen bolts have washers on them from the factory. These washers are to large to work with the adapter so you will need to get 4 new allen bolts. I would suggest to just be ready to run down to you local hardware store to get them once you have it apart.
Thank you for the information. Do you recal the size of the new Allen bolts? Also, was it straightforward the installation of the airbag capacitor? I appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
It looks like the Momo Race is what they are putting in at the factory for the Exige V6 CupR these days:

View attachment 1265453
That was an early pre-production car I believe (based upon the gear indicator on top of the dash) --the factory was putting the Momo Tuner wheel in the CupR from late 2014. Looks to be very similar to the "Race" version. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a European market Lotus Elise from 2008.
Non-Airbags version.
Came with Momo steering wheel from the factory :)

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I did a momo tuner(?) wheel - 330mm I believe... with NRG quick release as well

in case anyone doesn't want to cut and splice horn wires... i found the connector part # and a source and posted them in this thread: Horn connector?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I did a momo tuner(?) wheel - 330mm I believe... with NRG quick release as well

in case anyone wants to cut and splice horn wires... i found the connector part # and a source and posted them in this thread: Horn connector?
What size connector? Is this required to connect the horns on an aftermarket steering wheel like the one pictured?
962D93CC-7853-431C-B1A5-14059F8B379A.jpeg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts