The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is on speed and it is almost june. here we sit with no F1 coming to town this year. damn you, F1!!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe in a year or two i will try to do either monaco or if i don't feel like spending as much cash, belgium

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
maybe in a year or two i will try to do either monaco or if i don't feel like spending as much cash, belgium
I've been to the Monaco GP twice (courtesy of a firm I did a lot of business with)... if you're an F1 fan, there's nothing like it. You can get very close to the cars (wear ear protection) and drivers, walk the "track" after the sessions, and brush shoulders with the very rich and very famous. I sat next to Olivier Panis in the helicopter shuttle from Nice to Monte Carlo in 1997... he'd won the GP the year earlier... everyone treated him like royalty (where is he now?).

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm trying to find it in my budget to hit the Monaco GP next year :drool:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I went to Monaco 2 years ago. Bought a standing room only ticket for $100 US. Stayed in Juan les Pin and took the train in. Sat high on the hill on the west side - great view.

Walked the track soon after the race. There were hundreds of us from all over the world followed by significant others saying "are we done yet?"

Possibly the coolest thing I've ever done!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so for the people who have done monaco, are there spots where you have a good view of the track for shooting photos? how long a lens would be required to get something like

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
so for the people who have done monaco, are there spots where you have a good view of the track for shooting photos? how long a lens would be required to get something like
The best day for photographs would be Thursday practice (there's no practice on Friday)... there aren't that many people around yet, so you have a better chance of getting a good shooting location. It's very difficult to get around once they've shut down the streets (the course runs on pretty much all the roads near the harbor), so it's best to choose your location early and stay in one place. Rascasse corner is awesome... you might actually need a wide lens if you were at the restaurant there. There are some good places near the swimming pool complex too. I'm pretty sure you'll need a ticket (were you planning on getting one?) to get into any of the grandstands, but once you're in, you can probably work you way down to the front for a photo op (you'll have to shoot over the barriers, so it'll be tough to get a low angle shot like the one you posted).

I haven't been there in a while, so I don't know how tight the security is these days... maybe someone who's been there more recently can chime in.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Blame Bernie E.

is on speed and it is almost june. here we sit with no F1 coming to town this year. damn you, F1!!
Give Credit where it is Due: Bernie, the long-time and reigning Dictator of F1, is solely responsible for F1 leaving the States. His Massive Greed and corollary fee requirements from the track organizers (as well as his insistence on keeping tight with Big Tobacco) have led to F1 exiting its core European geographic base and "expanding" into Bahrain, Turkey etc. The new tracks and facilities may be decent, but nothing compares to Monaco, Monza and Spa (which Bernie killed several times this decade b/c the Belgian govt would not cave on the Tobacco advert requirements)...

Hard to say if F1 will improve if and when both Bernie and Max Mosley are gone, as the FIA is incredibly myopic. Besides, Bernie is the Devil himself and will outlive us all :)

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i spared mentioning bernie's name but yeah, he is the responsible prick. and nobody mentioned maxie's fe minutes in the news this week. one cannot buy coverage like that. oh wait, THAT is what got him in deep ****

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well, it will be close by in our back yard. Montreal baby! And I believe Montreal is more fun.

1+ Me too!
Sweet, I'll see you there, I'll be the guy in the Ferrari shirt and hat...and shoes...and underoos. :p

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so tell me about access at the track there. are there places with unobstructed views of the track?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts