The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I have had this kit (well, actually I made the prototype: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/new-way-put-elise-lift-38005/ ) on my Elise for almost 5 years now and I can vouch that is is extremely stable and makes servicing the car on a four arm lift or any lift with lifting pads a breeze compared to having to remove the belly pan and diffuser with the car on the ground first. Just drive the car into the lift area, place the pads, lift the car, remove the panels and you are good to go - no crawling around trying to remove all those fasteners and possibly scraping up your panels on the floor. This kit will in no manner get in the way of any servicing functions and the mounting points for it are same as the ones used by most Lotus dealers with their lifts. It is also useful with a floor jack if you just want to lift a rear wheel without lifting the whole side of the car. It is also useful if you are away from your lift and require someone else to lift the car. The damage alone from someone lifting the car incorrectly (just look at what happened to qball's car: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231/fu-k-sh-cr-p-damage-30674/ ) will make the kit worth having. If you have a lift with pads, this kit will make servicing your Elise or Exige much easier.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I have had this kit (well, actually I made the prototype: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/new-way-put-elise-lift-38005/ ) on my Elise for almost 5 years now and I can vouch that is is extremely stable and makes servicing the car on a four arm lift or any lift with lifting pads a breeze compared to having to remove the belly pan and diffuser with the car on the ground first.
To add to these comments.

My old process used to be back up on ramps, remove the belly pan, drive off the ramps, lift one side of the car and place a jack stand set low, go to the other side of the car lift it and place a jack stand set a bit higher, then go back to the other side to lift it to raise the jack stand to the higher setting.

Then change the oil.

Repeat in reverse order to put the belly pan back on

But I bought one of the early kits (thanks Tesprit) mounted it on my car.

I don't have the luxury of a four point lift, but I use a jack helper to lift the rear of the car, lower it down so the lift kit sets down on a pair of jack stands, then remove the jack and jack helper. I can then easily slide under the car remove the belly pan, and change the oil without have to raise and lower things, back up on ramps, etc. reverse the steps when finished.

Highly recommended.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I also have this kit - if you're going to be doing regular work on your car I wouldn't say it's a must have but it really does make things easy. I can't use a jack helper due to my BOE diffuser but it makes it easy to jack up one side, put the jack stands under the lift points then jack up the other side and repeat. Always seems very stable.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Just ordered mine. Sounds like the deal when combined with the jack helper.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
One other thing. Having the lift points on the car, even if you don't have a lift, can be a very good thing if you are on a trip and you car has problems. Then a garage can use their lift on the car without danager of it getting Qballed...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
One other thing. Having the lift points on the car, even if you don't have a lift, can be a very good thing if you are on a trip and you car has problems. Then a garage can use their lift on the car without danager of it getting Qballed...
Exactly what I was thinking. Makes the car "the same" as other cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts