The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Thanks for that link AJ, just what I needed.

Rob

·
Registered
419 Posts
so if I go to the monoballs, who does the install in socali? It is beyond my skills so I would need someone to install who knows the elise.

Tim, are you doing installs at your place?

TIA

·
Registered
103 Posts
these types of joint have been used on various cars for years. They date back to the 1960's with Morris 1100 front wishbones, then Triumph Dolomites of the 1970's. The most common recent applications are rear track control arms on numerous Toyotas. I fit them regularly and have made special tools to do so. It takes about 5 minutes to change one on a Toyota . Does anyone have the dimensions for the Lotus ones so I can see if they will fit some of the other old Pommy cars I often work on???
thanks

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Not sure how much difference these made in my car because I did so many other mods at the same time, but I can say that the ride is just fine for the street with my Nitron Singles (450/600 # springs).

Just so you guys know what's going on with bushing deflection, here is an eye opening video from a Z06:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It does work great. I think the one I bought has been used on 4 or 5 cars now.
Hi AJ, Happy New Year!

Does that tool allow you to change the bushings without having to totally remove the arm from the car?

:up:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well, ya gotta' like that!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Totally, it's called Home Depot, you buy one of those cheap Chinese sockets in the right size and buy a long bolt that will fit through your bushing and a big washer but not too big, it has to fit through the hole on the wishbone. Take a wishbone out, measure everything, and go buy your "tool".
Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

I'm just about to install my monoballs but don't have the instructions. Contacted Sector111 but havn't recieved a reply yet.

Just want to know, do I need to grease the bearings before pressing them into the wishbone? What kind of grease?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hi,

I'm just about to install my monoballs but don't have the instructions. Contacted Sector111 but havn't recieved a reply yet.

Just want to know, do I need to grease the bearings before pressing them into the wishbone? What kind of grease?

Cheers
I've never used any and I have installed a couple of sets....

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I'm about to install the Delrins sometime this month (still running the stock setup from 2007) -- I was told the Delrins might bind but after looking at how the front arms work, I don't see how they could bind if installed correctly?

I bought a "special tool" that is supposed to help with the removal/install - haven't used it yet.

My concern with the MONOballs is longevity ... in prior race cars I would have to replace them frequently especially since I like to use curbs/dirty. Maybe the Lotus is less harsh on them?

Rob

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I'm about to install the Delrins sometime this month (still running the stock setup from 2007) -- I was told the Delrins might bind but after looking at how the front arms work, I don't see how they could bind if installed correctly?

I bought a "special tool" that is supposed to help with the removal/install - haven't used it yet.

My concern with the MONOballs is longevity ... in prior race cars I would have to replace them frequently especially since I like to use curbs/dirty. Maybe the Lotus is less harsh on them?

Rob
Rob are you still running stock rubber bushings? I hope not, sequential, 400hp turbo, aero, a005 slicks and rubber bushings that have massive deflections, no wonder you are parking it in the corners like a Corvette. -poke-:D
If installed correctly, sphericals on our cars will outlive and out perform any bushings. Don't worry about how your use of curbs will affect them, I've had other suspension parts fail that "have never failed" and MONOballs have survived. The o-ring setup works really well, I have to use the dirt line quite often.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I've had these installed on my car for over a year. They crash less than my really worn out stock bushings and the car feels very connected and most importantly the care feels very consistent on the track and my favorite windy roads

I have not noticed a "harshness" that people seem to worry about

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
400 bHP!! That's generous, you must be using a BOE dyno ... doooh! ;)

Yes, still stock original rubber bushings from 2007 ... don't think bushing types are going to reduce stopping distance ... I'll need dual masters and a balance bar. As of right now if I "push" the brakes (no ABS) the fronts will just lock up (which happened a lot at Laguna) -- with much higher brake zone entry speeds dual masters and balance bar are next on my list of "significant" improvements.

What I read/hear is that Delrin's bind and MONOballs bind ... none of which makes any sense to me ... if someone can explain to me exactly what is binding (and I assume this could ONLY be at the front A-arms)?

Binding claim #1 that MONOBalls bind
Self-Lubricating Bushings

Binding claim #2 that Delrin's bind
Sector rep

As far as I can tell neither MONOBalls or Delrin should bind if installed correctly, but maybe I'm missing something?

Rob.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,171 Posts
MONOballs don't bind. The majority of the Lotus Cup racers run these and they last. We've yet to have anyone call us for replacement parts that are worn out. They don't even make noise - which was a NVH issue I was expecting.

We tested Delrin and PUR bushes and BOTH caused stiction (or binding). This is why we never released them into production. The PUR came from a noted supplier in England who has been selling them for Lotus applications. The Delrin were our design so maybe we did not get it right?! Though I doubt it as we worked closely with an engineering team that specializes in these type of bushes for race applications. :huh:

41 - 60 of 64 Posts