The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, YOU really missed an outstanding weekend event if you stayed home in your A/C wondering when summer would end. The combined Boston Chapter and Canadian chapter of the BMWCCA hosted their annual HPDE at the Circuit Mont Tremblant. See this awesome aerial view

Here is the valley. The track is on the side of a mountain a convienent couple of miles from the base of lake as seen in this picture:

The weather was SPECTACULAR with only a few dark clouds and 15 minutes of rain on Friday. Nice cool 50's in the morning:

The official beakfast hangout was Lorraine's, 3 minutes from the track. It was funny at 10 minutes before the driver's meeting when everyone got up, paid and left for the track.

The two Lotus drivers:
Paul Smolenski's Green '06 Elise

And
Richard Askin's Silver '07 Exige. I helped show Richard how to adjust his Track Pack shocks from a street to a track setting which he found gave him much better car feedback and thus confidence.

Here I am in the climbing uphill BLIND left turn under the bridge.
(I left my Exige at home up on the lift undergoing extensive mods. PS-Only Instructors are allowed to drive with one hand.)

In the small world, 3 degrees of separation department, I was assigned to instruct Gary Kanter, our official site sponsor from BigBrakeParts.com Too amazing to even think how that happened.

I can't recommend enough what a great track, vacation spot and Boston Club run event with even some exciting, actual BMW Club racing thrown in this was. As they say in the movies, "I'll Be Back":coolnana:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
cool! beautiful looking track. I've been wanting to race there w/ Skip Barber, sadly will have to wait for another year.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm really looking forward to heading up there in October.

BTW, are you interested in instructing at NJMP October 24-25? I'm coordinating a track day for the two local Lotus clubs in conjunction with ACNA.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

BTW, are you interested in instructing at NJMP October 24-25? I'm coordinating a track day for the two local Lotus clubs in conjunction with ACNA.
Yes I would.

I'll PM you with some questions.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I second Jim's enthusiasm for this event.

The track is wonderful. It's a very addictive mix of tight and open sections, turns that encourage experimenting with different lines, and variation in elevation and camber that challenge every lap. I found I learned something new about its line and rhythm in every session. This track rewards smoothness and consistency. I was able to stay with higher-hp cars as long as my technique was solid. But mistakes had me sailing backwards through the group.

The event organization was first-rate. The paddock, tech and grids were orderly and efficient, The inevitable interrupts (including 1 red flag) were handled with grace and addressed to maximize track time for all. The instructors were great.

I've been involved with several events sponsored by this club. They are a very easy-going group - the kind of place were the guy in the F430 is as interested in the budget-racer 2002tii as anybody is in his ride. And they all admire the Lotus :).

Finally, I very much enjoyed sharing the weekend with fellow Lotus enthusiasts Jim and Richard (and his son, Eric - a Fine Young Man, even though he drives an M3 ;)).

I too, shall return.:shift:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Love that track!

Went to Jim Russell School there a long time ago. Raced the vintage event two of three times the last few years. If only it were a bit closer.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Are you going to Tremblant in October with the Audi club?

-G

1 - 7 of 7 Posts