The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Believe it or not, it's never too early to start thinking about the Monterey Weekend in August. It's always in the 3rd weekend in August, so you should mark your calendars for August 19 - 21, 2005.

What has come to be known as the Monterey Weekend is actually more like an entire week of automotive events, including important auctions, prestigious car shows (including Concorso Italiano and the fabulous, fabulously expensive (but tax-deductable) Concours d' Elegance on the links at Pebble Beach) and drives throughout the Peninsula, and a full weekend of vintage racing at Laguna Seca (the Monterey Historics).

I particularly want to give all Elisetalkers a heads-up, that rooms on the Monterey peninsula are booking fast, with most of the better, reasonably-priced hotels booked already. The closer we get, the more this leaves either the cheapest places (gross!) or the most expensive places, and most of the hotels do raise their rates for the Monterey weekend (the past few years it's gotten pretty outrageous in fact). Many of the nicer B&B's and hotels are booked solid for this weekend perpetually, because last year's guests reserve a room for the next year as they check out !

So be forewarned, the sooner you book a place that sounds decent and reasonable, the better. I found a place (in Pacific Grove) using Travelocity and it was fairly painless, compared to my methods in the past which was just calling around and using the City of Monterey's room-finding service.

Good Luck !

BTW, I am really hoping we Elisetalkers in So Cal can coordinate a caravan up the coast, that would be a real experience IMO.

Looking forward to August, Mike G. :cool:

A few links to some of the major events:

http://www.theconcours.com/

http://www.montereyhistoric.com/

http://www.concorso.com/

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Mikester,

You can also count on the GGLC having a Lotus Corral at the Historics.

In order to get the corral we have to purchase a block of tickets, so watch for an announcement around May/June. Tickets purchased from the GGLC will come with a pass to get into the Corral. It's nice to have a place to park not up on the hill or in some dust bowl.

Let's corrdinate...

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
It's so nice having an italian car for the italian car show. Last year fiat was right next to the grand stands :cool:

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
It's a no brainier for me, have family in the area.

MW- that doesn't help much if you don't a have a Fiat to show. :p

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MW has two, I believe. Maybe she'll sell you one of hers ? :p

Joke, just a joke.....

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
mikester said:
BTW, I am really hoping we Elisetalkers in So Cal can coordinate a caravan up the coast, that would be a real experience IMO.
I've had my reservations for some time now at a B&B in Pacific Grove (The Inn at 17 Mile Drive). They have a four day minimum stay policy, so I go up on Thursday and come back on Monday. When are you traveling?

I go to the Concorso Italiano on Friday and the Historics on Saturday and Sunday. There's also a nice car show and parade on the streets of downtown Pacific Grove...don't recall whether it is Sat or Sun.

Actually I've never been to the Concours d' Elegance...I hate to miss the time at the Historic races. I have a neighbor who runs his Formula 1 car on Sunday.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Chris -

Well the several times I've been, Friday is the travel day (which makes for a very early morning to try to get there and catch the Concorso Italiano), so your idea (of traveling up on Thursday) is sounding pretty good right now. But nothing's definite. Our room resi's are just for Fri through Sunday (checking out Monday that is), but it might be worth extending them ...

The Monterey Historics are tremendous (and I know that some of the best stuff is on Sunday there), but so is seeing the cars at Pebble Beach, you really can't go wrong I guess.

So you and Deb are in Pacific Grove too, that's great. I forget where we're staying, will have to dig up our reservation sheet. Where do you guys usually eat when you're there, have you been to Tarpy's Roadhouse ? That's a great place to have dinner during the race weekend.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
khamai said:
Mikester,

You can also count on the GGLC having a Lotus Corral at the Historics.

In order to get the corral we have to purchase a block of tickets, so watch for an announcement around May/June. Tickets purchased from the GGLC will come with a pass to get into the Corral. It's nice to have a place to park not up on the hill or in some dust bowl.

Let's corrdinate...

Kiyoshi
Sounds great Kiyoshi ! :)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
mikester said:
... Where do you guys usually eat when you're there, have you been to Tarpy's Roadhouse ? That's a great place to have dinner during the race weekend.
Our B&B is within walking distance of downtown Pacific Grove, so we eat there, but at some place different every time. The only name I remember off-hand is the White House (IIRC). There are several great restaurants right there. Tarpy's doesn't ring a bell, though.

BTW, the year before last the drive up PCH was fabulous. Great convertible weather, virtually no traffic through all the twisties, and for the last 30 miles we got caught up in the middle of a caravan of about 20 Ferraris. What an awesome sound! :clap: Then we hit the traffic in Carmel. :( The next five miles took an hour.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tarpy's is on the highway between Monterey/Carmel and Salinas, near the Monterey Airport and not far from Laguna Seca, so a lot of race people go there during the race weekend, as well as car clubs etc. One time when Sandy and I went for the Sports Car races, we were sitting right next to the Panoz team, that was cool.

In Pacific Grove, have you been to Fandango (Mediterranean/Spanish style food) ? We haven't been in quite awhile but that used to be quite good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts