The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many/most of you know exactly what this thread title means. For those of you who don't, I thought I'd mention a few fantastic car events in August.

Specifically, The Weekend, August 13-15.

August 13th is the date of my favorite car show, Concorso Italiano, on the old Fort Ord military base just north of Monterey (used to be in Carmel Valley at the Quail Lodge, now the site of a smaller, different show). One aspect of the Concorso Italiano is the 'car corrals'...sort of a side show to the main display of Italian masterpieces. Cars in the corrals are grouped by marque, and one corral is the Lotus corral. If all goes well, there will be at least one Elise present.

August 13-15 is also the Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca nearby. A lotus corral has been organized there by the Golden Gate Lotus Club for the 14th. Ferrari is the featured marque at this event this year.

August 15th is, of course, the Pebble Beach Concors d'Elegance. On Thursday the 12th, starting at 9:00AM, many of the cars shown will be participating in a driving tour of the Monterey Penninsula. This is a great opportunity to see these cars for free.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I'll have the MR2 in the corral. If the Elise makes it in time can I run interference on the drive down for you Matt? That should be good for a hour or so of seeing a Elise in motion.

Then I'll race you back down Carmel Valley Rd. As long as you take it easy breaking it in, may have a chance of keeping up.:p

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
MattG said:
August 13-15 is also the Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca nearby. A lotus corral has been organized there by the Golden Gate Lotus Club for the 14th. Ferrari is the featured marque at this event this year.
I will have a few extra passes for the GGLC Lotus Corral. Only Lotus cars are allowed in the corral per the organizers. Let me know if you'd like one.

Kiyoshi

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LarryB said:
I'll have the MR2 in the corral. If the Elise makes it in time can I run interference on the drive down for you Matt? That should be good for a hour or so of seeing a Elise in motion.

Then I'll race you back down Carmel Valley Rd. As long as you take it easy breaking it in, may have a chance of keeping up.:p
Sounds great! A friend of mine is bringing his silver NSX, so maybe we can all hook up and drive down together. That'll make for quite a sight, but then, that's one great thing about this weekend, the scenery *on* the highways, not just around them. If anyone else is interested in joining the caravan, post here!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I will be at all of the events starting Wednesday night.

We are going to "The Quail" event on Friday instead of the Italiano based on last year's event (terrible).

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
meat said:
We are going to "The Quail" event on Friday instead of the Italiano based on last year's event (terrible).
They seem to have addressed the major issues. I found it somewhat humorous to see all those Ferraris packed in close together looking like a Wal-Mart parking lot. ;)

There's just nothing that compares to Concorso Italiano. It seems that every year, I'm lucky and happen to be behind some supercar when they start it up and rev it. One year, it was a Diablo Jota (my ears were ringing after that one, but boy was it sweet). Another time, a McLaren F1. Last year, the Cizeta Morodor convertible, with its creator in the driver's seat. Besides the aural delights, the visuals never cease to entertain. The Gallardo last year..the Alfa Romeo Brera...Ferrari Enzo...a few Saleen S7s...a swarm of Vectors...a couple beautiful Toyota MR2s in the corrall...

It'll take a lot for the show to get so bad that I stop going!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Before last year I thought the Italiano was the 2nd best show in the country (Pebble = #1 in the world). Last year was terrible and yes, I get all the emails about how great things are going to be this year - but, they said all that about the new site.

The Quail is supposed to be a grand event. Food and drink during the day - access to Bonham's auction, a hillclimb, the best cars, etc.

So, this year I will see the Quail for myself and wait to hear the reports from Italiano.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'm sitting out this year, probably next year (with the Elise, of course !)

The "Monterey weekend" is always amazing. Have a great time, you guys, and if you like good food with your cars check out Tarpy's Roadhouse (on the highway between Salinas and Monterey, near the airport) - during the weekend there are usually some cool cars parked there, and fun people-watching (the last time we were there for the GT races, the Panoz team was in the same dining room as us).

Also in Monterey I really like a restaurant in the downtown area called Montrio (it's owned by the same people as Tarpy's, and the food is quite good both places IMO). It's in a former firehouse and nicely done.

Now I'm hungry AND jealous ! ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I so want to go.. and if I did not have a conflict with relatives in town that weekend, I would be there in my Elise this year.

Next year!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
This trip is on my calendar permanently.

I block it on the calendar first thing each year.

I'm on year #6 and it just keeps getting better as I meet more and more people out there. It's great to see the same faces year after year.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I keep missing years! One of the pleasures of owning a fiat...it doesnt always make it :(

But I first starting going in '99. I had such a blast that I never wanted to miss it again. Only made it back once in 2002. Last year I had to cancel at last minute :( I dont want to cancel again! Maybe if the car doesnt get in to the italiano, I'll try to hitch a ride as suggested :) And even if I miss that, there are lots of other fun things to do that weekend.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I so want to go.. and if I did not have a conflict with relatives in town that weekend, I would be there in my Elise this year.

Next year!
To avoid jealousy between relatives, I encourage you to utilize the empty garage space at my house for the weekend, if you indeed have your Elise. Free Zaino-ing included. ;)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Concoros Italiano - Corral display?

May 31st, deadline for discounted advance registration, rolled around, and my Elise was due to arrive towards the middle/end of June. Great, I thought. I'll register the car for the corral at Concorso. I paid my fee, and received the pass to allow my 2005 Elise, the driver, and one passenger, into the corral.

June comes around...no car. July...still no car. Latest word is that the ship carrying my car is due in port "the week of August 9th", meaning there's no way I'll have the car in time (Concorso Italiano is August 13th).

The ticket is non-refundable at this point. According to their rules, I can't drive a different car to the event, it's only for a Lotus Elise - though truth is, I'm not sure how closely they monitor this (I have a feeling my Subaru wagon won't be able to sneak in though ;) ).

If any of you lucky new Elise owners are interested in taking your Elise to the show and would like a great deal on entry fees, please PM me and we can work something out.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Had talked to them about signing up the Elise and if it didn't' make it in time bringing the MR2. They were OK with that, as long as I'd let them know. In your case the Subie might be tough to sneak in. You are still going right?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Oh! I forgot that Matt sold his two already. I can borrow mine for that day. It not as pretty, though ;-)

LarryB said:
Had talked to them about signing up the Elise and if it didn't' make it in time bringing the MR2. They were OK with that, as long as I'd let them know. In your case the Subie might be tough to sneak in. You are still going right?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'll be using Matt's corrall pass to be at Concorso with my son Oliver on Friday, and I'll be at Laguna Seca for the Historic races with Laurel on Saturday. See you folks there....

Cheers Adrian

p.s. Latest Road and Track has a great interview with Steve Earle about the historics.
:D

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I'll be there :clap:

But without Wedgie :( Half-shaft bolts flew off yesterday. Fortunetaly, there was no damage to the shafts/CV joints, etc, but I have to find some new bolts and I'm a little nervous to drive it all the way up the coast! Silly FIAT! Spoke to some X1/9 buddies about the incident, to which they replied, "It happens." :rolleyes:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, who all will be there? So far, we have Adrian, MW, LarryB, grudkin, and myself. Anyone interested in meeting up around 12:30 or so? I volunteer Adrian's car as the meeting location, as it'll be easy to spot (the silver Elise S1)!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts