The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been anti-social lately from being busy busy busy! Well, it's time to go for a drive!

Saturday, April 25, 2009
9am BREAKFAST, not sure if I'll join for breakfast though. Maybe. So I don't have to cook! :D
10am Meet in parking lot
10:15ish Depart
Grinder Restaurant
1 W Los Angeles Ave.
Moorpark, CA 91321

Head up the 23/Grimes Cyn, South Mountain Rd to the 150 to Ojai. Stop in Ojai for gas and restroom then the 33 to Cerro Noroeste Rd to Frazier Park. Get gas, and I'd like to turn around and head back via Lockwood Valley. If you'd like to end the ride early and head home, you can jump on the 5 in Frazier Park. I'm open to ideas for lunch. If we wait till we are back in Ojai or Santa Paula, it's gonna be a late lunch! So, everyone should probably eat breakfast! Let me know what ya think! I figure I'd lead the group to Ojai then once we get on the 33, then whomever wants to take the lead can.

Whose game? I'm hoping the weather will be nice spring weather, not too hot, not too cold. :D

Confirmed:
April and Eric - '07 Exige S Chrome Orange
Hal and Terry - '05 Elise Saffron Yellow
non-LotusTalk Member - GT40
non-LotusTalk Memeber - Miata

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet! I thought you might like someone else taking the reins for once! ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's my neck of the woods!

Would love to go, Evo instead of Lotus now, but I'm booked that day.

Those are some great roads. I end up going up Grimes Canyon a few times a month at night with no traffic. Lots o'fun.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if plans change, we'll be there! The drive is open to other car makes. ;)

I take Balcolm Canyon between Santa Paula/Fillmore and Camarillo all the time. You should try that route. Half of the road is bumpy and crappy in the Lotus, the other half is freshly paved! I know that road like no other and do a pretty good job at scaring my passengers who want a ride. :p

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes, Balcom Canyon is a lot of fun as well. It's just a bit out of the way for me. A fun circuit for me is to go down Grimes then over to Balcom and up.

I'm a bit paranoid of coyotes popping out of the citrus groves. I hit one a few years ago, not in the Lotus. Minor damage to that car. Would have meant new clam in a Lotus.

Citrus Blossoms are in bloom right now. Smells really good in some parts by Fillmore and Santa Paula.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Great route, but I'll be working on Saturday:mad:

Suggestion for once you get there: Where Lockwood Valley Rd terminates in Frazier Park, turn left towards Mt Pinos, but instead of ascending to the top of the mountain (not a bad drive in itself, btw), turn right onto Mil Portrero Hwy which will take you to Pine Mountain Club (odd name for a village) and then onto some of the most INCREDIBLE twisties you will EVER drive. Between the odd geological features and some off-camber turns you can get vertigo due to a lack of being able to ascertain where the horizon is. This then gives way to some fantastic loooooong sweepers on the high plains.

This then terminates at SR33 which you can take left and back to Ojai, or Rt to SR166 for another great set of twisties into Taft and Bakersfield, at which point you'll be ready for the straight shot on I-5 back home

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I know the Cerro Noroeste loop (or that's how I refer to it). Sometimes I'll take that route going into Frazier Park, then take Lockwood Valley back home. If people want to drive all day, I am certainly willing to change the route, lol. I've never been on the 166 to Bakersfield though.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump. :D

I've edited the first post a bit. I have a few non-Lotus friends who plan on attending and so far Hal is the only other Lotus coming! Any maybes yes yet?? These are some fun roads!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Would love to but my car is in the dealership for a new clutch and pressure plate. One of the clips on the pressure plate let go and the clutch wouldn't fully disengage.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Put me down for a slight chance of a maybe, but I think I will be working, This month is hell for me, but come May I will be free to do a lot of driving ! As I write this a 2nd coat of Zaino is drying on my Elise and she will blind you with her sparkly-ness :cool:

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
April, I was really trying to go along on this one but I just found out that my parents are coming to LA at the end of the week and I'll be hanging out with them. ...next time?

- z

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol, I feel so unloved! :D

Well, just a heads up that May 1st - September 1st the police are gonna have heavy patrols on the 33. They received a grant to crack down on the speeders and motorcycle squids due to the multiple motorcycle deaths up there.

I'm going regardless who shows up. I wanna play! I know things come up and people are busy and I rarily show up for the other drives so I am not judging anyone. ;)

:shift:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Change my status to MAYBE.
I may have to work, my Lotus may need to be in the shop, I may have to work, my goldfish might die that day, I may have to work, an asteroid might strike the Earth, it might rain, a terrorist attack, an earthquake, I have to remove my tonsils, relatives might show up, or I might die.

______________ fill in your own excuse :rolleyes:

--Hal

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
...due to the multiple motorcycle deaths up there....
-eek-

If I go, should I bring a helmet and HANS? :D

I'll see if I can join you guys. 50/50 right now.

Eddie, are you going? If you go, I can meet up near your place and head out together.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you wanna keep up with me!! :D

j/k

Yeah, any road that we like, so do the motorcycles and some of them drive pretty recklessly. If you want a good comedy show, you should watch them at the rock store on a weekend, lol. I just spent the day there. Comedy.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any maybe's yes's yet? Looks like the weather is gonna be nice. I have 4 cars confirmed so it should be nice and managable. I updated the first post with my # in case anyone else decides to come and doesn't want me to leave without them.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Whoa, I just found this and I am definately looking for a drive this weekend. I just have to put my clam back on real quick...

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a long drive from Vegas! :shift:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts