The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to add fuel to the funeral pyre but I can't ignore this article from SpeedTv.com.

Lotus confirms in a SPEED.com exclusive that two of its teams have asked to switch manufacturers, but is it what the series needs and will it be allowed?

INDYCAR: Tough Decisions Pending By The Series, Lotus, Its Teams

:shrug:

·
Registered
211 Posts
This comment pretty much sums it up!!
Whether you fall on the side of the teams or Lotus in this dispute, the fact that two of the more modestly funded teams are willing to take a major financial hit to get away from Lotus speaks volumes about the severity of the problem from their vantage point.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
I have to admit I was mystified when I saw Lotus planned on getting into the race engine business. They've never really been noted for their engine building prowess for either street or race cars. I suppose their most successful 'race' engine that was all their own was the massaged production engine in the Esprit X180R going on 20 years ago.

They've not built a new engine (at least for use outside of the R & D shops) since the V8 hit the market now 15 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Does Lotus build the engines, or does Judd build the engines with technical/engineering support from Lotus? Either way, I realize the money comes from Lotus.

Isn't it strange how you can go along for years, everyone agreeing on everything, and then all of a sudden, you shut off the money and now it's time for due diligence? You can say whatever you want about Mr. Bahar, but someone was signing the checks. I've worked for Fortune 50 companies, and money just doesn't get spent at this level without a lot of people being involved. I understand he has the responsibility to make the business plan work, but to think that occurs in a vacuum is just an easy way to create a scapegoat.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Does Lotus build the engines, or does Judd build the engines with technical/engineering support from Lotus? Either way, I realize the money comes from Lotus.
The engines are Judds. I don't think Lotus is involved beyond signing a check, or saying they would sign a check and then not.

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
Funny until tires went off Raikkkenan was in ~3rd place at last Formula 1 race. They seem to have a very quick car being developed.
Indycar they are just BEHIND! Even Chevy had major issues early in the season.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
still funny to me that a small car maker is jumping into all of these race series at the same time while trying to get a lot of money to come up with a new lineup of 5 cars.

They just begging to go bankrupt.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
although I agree it may not have been good timing for Lotus to get into Indy, and there engine/transmissions are behind the other teams, there are some chimps in the room and one giant leaping gorilla..

Lotus doesn't have the cashflow, period, that chevy or honda does, or the time developing race engines for the modern spec series like they do. So they were already behind from the get go.

Lotus had a much shorter timeline.

But the gorilla? That article neglects to mention (and essentially contextualize) the fact that Indy itself is sort of a mess right now. Lotus' problems are only being exacerbated by a lot of the silly crap going on with it.

this covers some of the ongoing things:
http://jalopnik.com/5902394/hey-indycar-why-are-you-such-a-hot-mess

But who cares..I have my Lotus Indy shirt..so when they pull out it will be worth lots of money then right??

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Danny has/is done a lot of damage... taking other business efforts down with him, is just sad to see.

and people wonder why there is limited interest in buying lotus? new owner would be taking on messes like this.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Danny has/is done a lot of damage... taking other business efforts down with him, is just sad to see.

this is not so much bad new for lotus (other than PR and, and yet again - wasted time and money) this is bad news for the teams that might be put out of business due to lack of having a car to race!

and people wonder why there is limited interest in buying lotus? new owner would be taking on messes like this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Raikkonen is in a better position for Bahrain , he could be in the top 3 this time out ,Lotus has a very fast f-1 and great pilot . Lotus is not going down , it is moving up hill on a crooked path .The concept of Lotus building production engines is ok if they make exact copies toyota engines .

·
Registered
297 Posts
Raikkonen is in a better position for Bahrain , he could be in the top 3 this time out ,Lotus has a very fast f-1 and great pilot . Lotus is not going down , it is moving up hill on a crooked path .The concept of Lotus building production engines is ok if they make exact copies toyota engines .
Building their own engines is a dumb idea. Why do this when Toyota have such good reliable engines. If you look at the v6 supercharged (tweaked a little) lump it produces excellent power/torgue figures. Plus Toyota have some other good engines in the Lexus range of cars.

Why mess around designing/building (high cost) low volume engines that will be a nightmare to repair and service in the future!

Not Lotus's expertise, handling is.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
and after hearing that Cosworth is turning the NA 3.5 v6 into 470 hp...I would tend to agree at this point...

though after speaking with a Lotus rep at the GPLB, their v8 is in test mules and running well..and making over 570 hp...it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Building their own engines is a dumb idea. Why do this when Toyota have such good reliable engines. If you look at the v6 supercharged (tweaked a little) lump it produces excellent power/torgue figures. Plus Toyota have some other good engines in the Lexus range of cars.
Agreed, but practicality goes against their business plan. Lotus is trying to build something exclusively upscale, competing against the likes of Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin....

As stupid as you might think of that business plan, the fact is if you are going to for it, it's not going to happen by putting in a Toyota engine into those cars, regardless of how great the motor is. Toyota is common place. The business plan specifically targets entertainers and millionaires and their future clientelle, not your average sportscar buyer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts