The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery just died again. I have the BOE clam hinge so it had been relocated. I hate the current location. Every time I have to change the battery I have to lift tilt the clam. And tilting the clam is not very convenient in an Exige with an OEM intercooler.

You can’t even see the battery in this pic because it is buried under the intercooler hose and charcoal canister. I want to relocate the battery to a more convenient location. I can’t move it to stock location because I have a clam hinge. Do you guys have any suggestions? What about moving inside the cabin? Is that a good idea. I’m not an electrical engineer so please advise.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
My battery is in situ and I have the BOE clam hinge.

I use the stock, not BOE rear panel which complicates things a tiny bit.

Best check with BOE yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My battery is in situ and I have the BOE clam hinge.

I use the stock, not BOE rear panel which complicates things a tiny bit.

Best check with BOE yourself.
I assume you had to extend your battery cables to tilt the clam properly?

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Nope.

·
Registered
342 Posts
FWIW.....I have a clam hinge on my Exige, with the battery in the stock location, and have extended battery cables. I have the Radium fuel surge tank in the charcoal canister location, so the battery had to stay in the stock location. I actually prefer it in the stock location.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Geez, now I can't remember if I had to disconnect the battery. I'll try to take a look.

Yes, less heat means a better location, but the battery weight is further to the rear of car.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I don't have an Exige, so this may be silly. But since you have posts up at the front, can you put a Lithium battery up front somewhere? I hated having my battery in the trunk mainly because of the extra steps to remove the rear clam and the relatively large amount of wasted space.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,392 Posts
My Shorai is in the trunk and at under 5 pounds it really doesn't make much of a difference.

San

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Shorai is in the trunk and at under 5 pounds it really doesn't make much of a difference.

San
Do you have a clam hinge San? If yes do you need to extend your cables or disconnect your battery to tilt?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mine is inside the car. My finishing wall will the speaker is removed on my car. I sit the battery over the tank area, centred between the seats.

Of course, removing the finishing wall is discutable!

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is inside the car. My finishing wall will the speaker is removed on my car. I sit the battery over the tank area, centred between the seats.

Of course, removing the finishing wall is discutable!
How did you secure it? I’m scared of drilling into that area because of the fuel tank is right below. And do you have it covered in a box?

·
Registered
877 Posts
The tank is quite lower than the deck. More than 2 inchs. I have a aftermarket big tank, and I did with the tank in place, but in my case, around 5/8 gap I think. Std tank is not an issue. I installed rivnut M6, tie down with threaded rod M6, and a plate to tie down the battery. The actual bracket is not like the picture, but you can figure something.

About the picture... a lot of wiring downthere in my car, since the ECU (K20 Honda with Hondata, plus traction control wiring, + and +) is overthere, fuse box and all relays for easier access. It look ugly, but I have a carbone cover to cover all that mess...

The battery is an Odyssey PC625, big enought to never have trouble with starting. Like BOE.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tank is quite lower than the deck. More than 2 inchs. I have a aftermarket big tank, and I did with the tank in place, but in my case, around 5/8 gap I think. Std tank is not an issue. I installed rivnut M6, tie down with threaded rod M6, and a plate to tie down the battery. The actual bracket is not like the picture, but you can figure something.

About the picture... a lot of wiring downthere in my car, since the ECU (K20 Honda with Hondata, plus traction control wiring, + and +) is overthere, fuse box and all relays for easier access. It look ugly, but I have a carbone cover to cover all that mess...

The battery is an Odyssey PC625, big enought to never have trouble with starting. Like BOE.
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I don't have an Exige, so this may be silly. But since you have posts up at the front, can you put a Lithium battery up front somewhere? I hated having my battery in the trunk mainly because of the extra steps to remove the rear clam and the relatively large amount of wasted space.

There is certainly room for the battery, but I don't know how you would get anything bigger than a D cell in and out. I think there is actually room for a normal sized battery, but you would have to pull the clam to get at it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts