The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How typical, sounds like they are further screwing up which is forcing more delays.

So far I have gone from....

an ESTIMATED July 15th/August 1st delivery date to....
Late August to....
Mid September to....
early October to....
November(ish).....
AND NOW DECEMBER....this is BS!

I AM GETTING SICK OF HEARING THIS CRAP! Every time I call I find out that cars have been delivered BUT my est. date HAS MOVED FURTHER BACK!

Is there ANYTHING that Lotus is doing right to MOVE UP the dates so that the LOSS of TIME is not so drastic??

...sorry all, I am seriously sick of this crap and just venting.

The worst part is that I truly don't think Lotus really cares because the buyers are screwed either way. If we say F-OFF we lose our spot and someone swings in to buy the car above MSRP. The Dealer is happy and Lotus still gets the sale.

Add in the fact that my dealer KNOWS NOTHING and promised to call WHEN he hears something...which probably means..."Oh yeah, your car is here, come and get it"

Lotus really needs to learn how to operate in the US if they hope to sell a significant amount of cars in this market. The days of treating their customers like sh*t are dwindling...

I have almost had enough.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Who is giving you these estimated delivery dates? Your dealer?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am number 14 at Desert Euro and really did expect my car much sooner than this. Lucky number 13 if you don't count the demo....they have delivered 6 customer cars to date leaving me only 7 away....

I hear ya all, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrating!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I understand you are frustrated, but it seems other people on the list there have been told unrealistic dates and keep getting different stories.

Is that Lotus or is that the dealer?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Jasonv44 said:
I am number 14 at Desert Euro and really did expect my car much sooner than this. Lucky number 13 if you don't count the demo....they have delivered 6 customer cars to date leaving me only 7 away....

I hear ya all, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrating!

Jason,

Dude seriously I know exactly how you feel. I'm #4 at DE. First they told me I was getting my car beginning of July then said end of July. End of July became mid August. I was really afraid to call them anymore because everytime I called my delivery date would get pushed back.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
it's your dealership's fault.

I was never told an "estimated" delivery date. I was only told when my build month was confirmed.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Clyde of LCU spoke briefly at the LCU Tech Session at LOG. Here's some of the points he made:

1) Dealers are getting delivery updates weekly

2) The 1st notification a dealer will get on any particular car is the estimate build week (+/- a week or more) at 60 days out from that week.

3) Next notification to the dealer is when the car gets loaded onto a ship. The VIN is included in this communication.

4) Dealer is next notified when the car gets onto a transporter from the port prep (invoiced).

In MHO - If a dealer is telling you anything else they're likely making it up and it would be unfair to blame LCU or Lotus.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if it's DE or not, Pat Marsh has always been cool and upfront...at least I thought so...and I finally just snapped when I was told December...MAYBE.

He doesn't have a build date for me, but if that's the case I can't imagine that it will even be December. Aren't build dates told to the dealers 2 months ahead of time??

If so, and he doesn't have me listed then I definitely don't expect it this year....It really is a bunch of BS!

Hey II-Soon, you are #4 at DE and haven't gotten your car yet? That's really crappy! I assume you ordered LSS and got that excuse. I wonder if they have delivered any LSS cars...their demo suposedly is one...

Regardless, this is really starting to stress me out.

I know how you all feel, same boat!

Who the hell is monitoring the Dealers to ensure that they do what they promise? Lotus?? Or does Lotus think of themselves as beholden to the Dealers and won't voice a concern or force a change?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I still am missing why you are looking at Lotus when your dealer tells you something that is not correct.

There are no delays now from LSS.

Ask what DE's allocation is.

They were an added dealer. They did not exist back then. It should not be a surprise that they are not going to get very early cars. They also know that.

Why do they keep telling you these dates?

No offense, but are you really expecting it's Lotus's job to make sure the dealers say the right things?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Jasonv44 said:

Hey II-Soon, you are #4 at DE and haven't gotten your car yet? That's really crappy!
Ecept for East Coast dealers this delivery schedule really sucks. Adamant is #1 at Steve Harris in SLC. He has no car yet. Last I heard he doesn't have a date either.

We are now over 2 months after the first East Coast delivery and #1 in SLC has no car. Los Angeles has no dealer.

Steve

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
It sounds like many smaller dealers got little or nothing in the first batch of orders and some may have known for some time that they wouldn't get cars until the 2nd batch starts arriving. I think I heard that smaller dealers would pretty much start up with the 2nd batch anyway. I've seen two other Elises randomly on the road in my neck of the woods in the last week or so - practically tripping over them considering the rarity. Seems like the Left Coast is starving for Loti, not sure how many have been del'd on either coast compared to the dealer and order counts.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm also tired of all the Lotus crap. I'm going to a Corvette show this weekend at a dealership. I've seen a C6 and have been wanting one for awhile.

People can bitch and moan about US cars, but truth be told, there is something to be said about getting a car and not having to deal with all of this.

Yeah, I'm a loser, in the end, I will probably still end up with the Lotus, but, I honestly don't think it's worth it.

If I could get a C6 vert for the same price, I'd do it, but I have to wait for the prices to come down. So, the Elise will have to tide me over. That or just hang on to my S2K.

I'm totally clueless right now on what to do.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Jasonv44 said:
So far I have gone from....

an ESTIMATED July 15th/August 1st delivery date to....
Late August to....
Mid September to....
early October to....
November(ish).....
AND NOW DECEMBER....this is BS!
Let me guess... Desert European?

Oh, yes indeed.

Maybe it's the Palm Desert heat that bleaches the information from their desk. That place is a total sucking black-hole of accurate and timely information. When I leave there, I have no idea what time it is, where my drivers license might be, or what I ate for lunch. "Hard to say, could have been anything at all. Not sure when dinner is. Maybe eight? We can only guess."

While I understand Randy saying it's not Lotus's fault, I do wish Lotus USA would find some creative way to pressure them into doing the honorable thing and coming clean with customers.

Maybe it's impossible.. Maybe Lotus has to sit idle and let DE say whatever the hell they want. It's a sad reflection on the creative guys in the UK that LCU can't find SOME WAY to beat the dealers into telling the truth for a change or bypassing them in some last-ditch attempt to save face with the 150+ people currently figuring out the DE runaround.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
atyclb said:
it's your dealership's fault.

I was never told an "estimated" delivery date. I was only told when my build month was confirmed.
Precisely the information DE (ie, Pat) holds close to his chest.

As far as I know, NOBODY has been given an order number, VIN number, or any information at all until the week of delivery. What an insane way to run a business.

I'm still trying to come up with some substantial way they benefit from doing this.

Let's see.. this year I've learned that I really hate being powerless and uninformed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I still am missing why you are looking at Lotus when your dealer tells you something that is not correct.

Why do they keep telling you these dates?

No offense, but are you really expecting it's Lotus's job to make sure the dealers say the right things?
Randy,

You and Kiyoshi seem to be coming to the defence of Lotus.

It seems to me that since the dealers are the ones that have to deal with us directly and hear our frustrations, they would not purposely be giving us false information.

Kiyoshi mentioned that the dealer gets weekly updates from Lotus. It seems that with Lotus' poor record of providing accurate, timely information, that the dealers in thier excitment of getting any news at all, passes it on to us the customer. Then, as usual, Lotus realizes they miscalculated once again and tells the dealer later "updated" information. From my conversations with the dealers, they are desperate to pass on information, unfortunately it's from a clueless, incompetant company (at least from a marketing, production standpoint --- they still know how to make sweet cars:) )

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was very close to buying a C6 or EVO. With one last effort to get info from DE, I called Austin Lewis sounding a little irrate and was finally giving a firm date. My car is suppose to be at port Sept. 27. Of course I'm taking that with a boulder of salt. So we shall see.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
hello all
i kinda understand what ur all going through, however im very far down on my list.
i take it most of you have never dealt with a company from england before. i have. they dont do business the way we do here. they dont have the same sense of urgency, they dont pay as much attention to time frames, and they are not as aggressive as americans when it comes to business....i knew this coming in and unfortunately some of you just now seem to be learning that.
an english companys way of answering the question of "when" is by saying "when it gets there."

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
It is not so much as coming to the defense, as trying to tell you what I know.

Kiyoshi is listing the facts as he was told from Lotus.

I have some information that I can not say, which puts me in a bit of a spot.

Look at it this way. If you only talk to your dealer and not directly to Lotus... and you dealer told you stuff that he made up and was later wrong, who would he blame? And if that is what you have heard, I could certainly understand some finger pointing at Lotus.

Consider this. Other than the early announcement of spring 2004 (April and then June) I have found Lotus very conservative in saying ANYTHING about possible deliveries in the future. If a dealer is making promises that don't mesh with what Lotus is saying, where is that information coming from?

Lotus does not pass along speculation. They have specific data that they pass on. Scheduled builds. When a VIN is assigned. On the boat. In port. They do NOT say "oh... you are order 17? You should get a car in September." But some dealers have said that. And if their allocation was 10 cars a year, how was that supposed to happen? Do you think the dealer wanted to tell the customers that they were only getting N cars per year? I am thinking no.

Consider this. Does anyone know when DE is delivering cars? What their allocation is? Anyone? They know. Lotus knows. So who is being misleading then?

I will also defend dealers when I think someone is blaming one without ground. And I will criticize Lotus USA and UK and have done so. I just don't think in this case it's their fault.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts