The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having built my side sills and modified my diffuser, I thought I would now tackle the front underbelly. On the 2010 Exige, the front undercarriage is not real flat, and the splitter is below the front floor pan by about an inch creating a large gap. Now the bottom of the splitter is indeed the same level as the middle of the undercarriage. So I needed to install some spacers to hold the new floor at the correct height to ensure a completely flat level floor.

I started with a paper template getting as much of the front suspension covered, while it was at full droop. Then got some .125 inch ABS Plastic and cut it out.

I installed some rivet nuts all along the front edge of the belly pan and also installed some to various locations on the underside of the vehicle to ensure solid mounting.

Then simply screwed it in place.

Now that is a flat undercarriage....

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I love the exhaust flair in and the extended veins on the rear diffuser.

I also love how you incorporated the front splitter to cover the suspension cutouts, (I built a set of simple block off plates last night myself).

I am considering a set of veins/channeling rails (1 inch by 1 inch, 90 deg , approx 12 inches long) that would fit along the parallel sections of your front splitter (similar to what you added to the engine cover plate). These to try to encourage the air to not spill into the front fender wells. (Seems on Adrian Newey's stuff there are lots of channeling rails and vortex generators)

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Thanks for posting. I have to do all this once I finally get Nitrons or whatever.

I think I saw one other person actually make the cutouts for the front wheels smaller when installing the front undertray.

The biggest improvement to the rear is to add the vein extensions on the outside of the diffuser to block the rear tires.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The biggest improvement to the rear is to add the vein extensions on the outside of the diffuser to block the rear tires.
Agreed.... Here is what I did. I guess they weren't visible on the photo above. I made them about 3 inches above the ground and they extend to the front of the rear wheels. I need to do some more yarn tests now that the front is done and see how it all performs as a package.

Once everything is verified to work as I'd like, I may refabricate the diffuser so it is comprised of just a single component, versus the 5 pieces that make it up now.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Is that brake ducting something readily available in the aftermarket (hoping) or something of your own creation as well?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I fab'd those myself.
Can you post some pics on how you fabricated those. If it is something that doesn't require a lot of maching I'd lov to give it a try. It looks like the trick is mounting it to the steering arm to be stable. I removed my front oil coolers and want to use the ducts to cool my front brakes.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you post some pics on how you fabricated those. If it is something that doesn't require a lot of maching I'd lov to give it a try. It looks like the trick is mounting it to the steering arm to be stable. I removed my front oil coolers and want to use the ducts to cool my front brakes.
No machining required. I simply took a piece of 3" aluminum pipe, ovalized one end of it and riveted an L bracket to that end. Drilled a hole in the other end of the bracket and fastened it to one of the "hub assy to hub carrier" bolts (using a slightly longer bolt). Then used a hose clamp to fasten the hose on it.

]

For the inlet duct, I used one of these:

Be sure to aim the ovalized pipe at the center of the brake rotor, not the face of it.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
That does help. Any pic of the attach. to hub? It looks pretty straight forward. Did your source the front duct and tubing from Summit or Pegasis Racing? I'm going to do this. Did you notice an improvement in fade?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts