The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think the spark plug cover looks a little cheap, so I got a paintbrush and started painting. I painted the raised parts silver, and the logo green and yellow. I left rest of the cover unpainted for contrast.

I need to buy some sandpaper to smooth out the paint in some parts, and will clean up more when the paint is fully dry, but you get the idea...

EDIT:
I used Krylon's Fusion spray paint for plastic. Krylon's website lists who sells their products, but not who specifically sells the Fusion line. I didn't order online because I didn't want to wait. It took a lot of calling local stores to find silver, green, and yellow; most of the stores didn't carry the Fusion line, and if they did, it wasn't the colors I wanted. I ended up getting them at Michael's, including their last silver and yellow, for $4.99 each.

I don't know how it will hold up to the heat, but if it doesn't, paint thinner will easily return it to stock. I'm driving down the coast to Orange County next weekend; we'll see if it survives the trip.

It took a couple days; actual painting time was a couple of hours, I think. It takes multiple coats. If you don't wait long enough for it to dry, a brush stroke will likely expose the plastic underneath, especially for yellow.

"I love the smell of [paint thinner] in the morning."

Attachments

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Damn, that looks sweet. I didn't realize you would be able to see it so clearly through the cover. What kind of paint did you use? How long did it take? Do you think it will be ok with the heat?

One more thing...Have you posted any other pics of this car? I don't remember seeing LRG anywhere on EliseTalk.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I couldn't take it either. Krylon Fusion Burgundy paint and the black letters are a Sharpie permanent marker. One word of caution, I detailed the lovers over the engine compartment with 303 portectant and some got on the covers that I painted. On the first go around it caused the paint to fish eye. I had to sand it off and clean the cover so the paint would stick. Also use multiple thin coats of paint very thin coats, go at it assuming you will use four coats to cover the part. Oh, Fusion has lots of colors so have fun!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eliseowner2b said:
Damn, that looks sweet. I didn't realize you would be able to see it so clearly through the cover. What kind of paint did you use? How long did it take? Do you think it will be ok with the heat?
I edited the first post above.

One more thing...Have you posted any other pics of this car? I don't remember seeing LRG anywhere on EliseTalk.
I haven't posted very many. The ones I did post are here:
Just got my LRG/Biscuit Elise
first car wash
Elise at sunset

There are other LRG pics around, including ones from the L.A. Auto Show unveiling (December; indoor shots) and the Birmingham press event (March/April; outdoor shots).

During my drive down Pacific Coast Hwy next weekend, I may take some more photos. That is, if I feel like getting out of the car! :p

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Dan, that looks great. Novice question here. How did you do detail work like this? I'm assuming this was a spray paint so how did you manage to tape off the peripheral areas (speciall with the logo?) Any advice on that?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Same basic thing I did some time ago. It's not hard at all and the Fusion paint dries quickly and has stood up to the engine compartment environment without issue. You can also get spray cans of paint that have been mixed to a Lotus paint code for about 20-25 locally, as low as 10 bux via mail order.

I added an alloy oil cap with Lotus badge and tidied up the messy hoses and wiring you can see on the LHS of the PIC.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>Where would I get the paint code for the lotus colors, say, ardent red? <<

It's on the sticker with the VIN that is located on the driver's side frame rail near where your left pants pocket is when seated in the car. (I saw from the other thread that you found this out...but in case others haven't that's where you can find the paint code)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
babak said:
Dan, that looks great. Novice question here. How did you do detail work like this? I'm assuming this was a spray paint so how did you manage to tape off the peripheral areas (speciall with the logo?) Any advice on that?
Yeah, what 1fastmx5 said. Hand painted, no masking.

I got a couple of brushes while I was at Michael's. One was the smallest brush I could find to make it easier not to overload the brush with paint, which will cause the paint to overflow off of the raised areas. The other brush was a bit wider. Don't worry too much about mistakes as paint thinner will fix them.

I sprayed a little paint into some paper cupcake cups, covering with a napkin as I sprayed to avoid any mess.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
You can also "stamp" the raised portions using something like an eraser that you first press into paint. I think Shinoo suggested that one.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Stan said:
You can also "stamp" the raised portions using something like an eraser that you first press into paint. I think Shinoo suggested that one.
.....or an ink roller.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Jer the alloy oil cap cost me 12 bux at a local shop. It's a generic threaded cap for Toyota. The Lotus logo is from triple-c and is for a shift knob. Also note that I removed the ugly black tape on the nearby wires, replacing it with 1/4 inch corrugated tubing as Toyota used elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Critique

The cap and plastic wire tubing look great, but the S/S hose covering takes away from your masterpiece...
I guess I'm just jealous... I still have about two to three weeks to go.. I can't wait to fuss over the car like a new baby....
Laser Blue / black Sport pak only!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>The cap and plastic wire tubing look great, but the S/S hose covering takes away from your masterpiece... <<<

I agree...that stuff is on borrowed time! The stock hoses with their puffy insulation covers look pretty awful so I think something can be done in that area.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts