The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine that is "rather tall" tried my Evora on this evening. He said it was "almost." If there was another inch of head room, he would be good. Has anyone tried things like removing some seat foam or removing the sliders and bolting the seat to the floor?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Run your hand under the seat, it's already as close to the floor as possible. Could potentially make a custom runner that tilts the front of the seat up so you recline a bit more with the legs but not much else that could be done.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More tilt won't work. He tried my 400 with the seat reclined as far back as he could without his head hitting the roll bar. (Head hitting roll bar in an accident is bad. Ask me how I know.) Anyway, he was really close. He either needs to shrink an inch or find an inch in the seat. Miata guys do a "foamectomy," cutting out an inch of foam in the seat. Any one ever try that? I think "Gurney bump" is kinda out of the question.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Could get the carbon seats from a 410 sport or 430. Or an aftermarket equivalent probably. Could be cool, but then lose the recline and access to the back seats.

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Yup , rcing seat with no padding will give more room. Have him flatten top of his helmet.....hehe

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
896 Posts
Sounds dumb, but did he ever try an S1 Evora with the Recaro seats? I recently test drove a GT and the seat was so high up that in that state, it was a show stopper for me. I’m 6’1” and found the seat to be significantly taller than my S1 and changed the entire driving position. I simply couldn’t get comfortable.

It has me thinking, have any 400/GT owners dropped Recaros in their car? Did this fix the driving position and do they bolt in without modification? I love the Recaros in my car. In fact, it’s hard to get me to shut up about them haha.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think he is 6'6" or just a tad over, just tried my 400. The GT's have a different seat that is higher, from what I've read here. Is there a particular racing seat that people have tried that drops the seat height?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
It has me thinking, have any 400/GT owners dropped Recaros in their car? Did this fix the driving position and do they bolt in without modification? I love the Recaros in my car. In fact, it’s hard to get me to shut up about them haha.
I think some have looked into the possibility, but the rails are different, and the spacing is different, so it would have to be a complete custom install. Then you'd also have to deal with the airbag sensors not being connected to anything either, which will likely affect the other airbags and may prevent them from deploying.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is one finger thickness (0.700") between the seat bottom and the carpet. I think if you removed the rails and bolted the seat down to the floor, you would pick up 3/4".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts