The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if repost, but I didn't see it --

Top Gear reports that Lotus is still spiraling down. With mounting debt, unable to pay their creditors, and all future models now either on hold or canceled, the future of Lotus is looking bleak. :(

Top Gear Article.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
PLEASE, PLEASE STOP!!!! I CAN'T TAKE IT NO MORE, GOOD BYE CRUEL WORLD GOOD BYE....

This is what Lotus' tunnel looks like right now, the lights are on top...

P.S. I apologize, I think I over reacted a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Note they liked Dany.

The new Exige is "brilliant." But not available in the US:(

If they need some marketing help, I'm available.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Doesn't look good for the turnip farmers from Hethel. Still think that VW needs to buy them out and inject some badly needed capital to at least get the Esprit off the ground.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Deep Shxt.

All new cars are scrapped.
Only S3 and Evora are in production.
Will have AW charger cooler for newer S3 and Evoras.
Working on S3 for USA market.
Going to sell the whole Lotus to another car marker.

All above is from insider. The guy who replaced my wiper:UK:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The solution is for toyota to buy lotus and rebadge the exige-s the new supra.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
The solution is for toyota to buy lotus and rebadge the exige-s the new supra.
And then when people say, "A Lotus , huh? Isn't that just a Toyota?" We'll be able to say, "Yep. It's just a Toyota. I made the body myself, from some old Fiero panels, and a fake Ferrari."rotfl

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Lotus has such a long history of failing, then being pulled out of the ashes in a new incarnation. I suspect this may happen again. Lotus may go away a while, but it will likely be back with a slightly different twist on its models and future.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Lotus has such a long history of failing, then being pulled out of the ashes in a new incarnation. I suspect this may happen again. Lotus may go away a while, but it will likely be back with a slightly different twist on its models and future.
Agreed - look at Lamborghini for an example. They stumbled through horrible times and were tossed around like a cheap hooker through the 80's and 90's. The guy who started the freegin company even lost the rights to it.

Now they are doing great. Something about German car companies taking over....Hmmm.... :D

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see what's wrong with the current plan. DBR fired Dany, abandoned an overly ambitious model lineup that was destined to fail, is bringing in new management, and promises to shore up Lotus' supplier relationships, dealer network, and marketing for its current models. These are exactly the things this forum has been begging for, for at least 2 years. Now we're complaining that Lotus is doomed???

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
^ I agree. This is what a turnaround from a buffoon blowing all of their money and signing contracts all over town looks like.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Is there a reason why a manufacturer should buy Lotus now? A purchase of Lotus right now includes lots of baggage including debt and managerial issues. If they wait for a few months until Lotus goes bankrupt, they could get all of Lotus's assets for super cheap and start over from scratch. ...or am I overlooking a fundamental basic with my logic?

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
Is there a reason why a manufacturer should buy Lotus now? A purchase of Lotus right now includes lots of baggage including debt and managerial issues. If they wait for a few months until Lotus goes bankrupt, they could get all of Lotus's assets for super cheap and start over from scratch. ...or am I overlooking a fundamental basic with my logic?
What are Lotus' assets? No cash, and only a small factory and miniscule inventory. Its biggest assets are probably its engineers and experienced builders, and those people may be long gone by the time a bankruptcy case is concluded.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
danny ef'd lotus up bad, its just too much debit with no added value.

the new management is doing the best.. with the mess they bought into. i am optimistic IF they can are successful in negotiating favorable conditions from the creditors... thats the problem, just too much debt that cannot be repaid with revenue.

where are all the Danny fans now?

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Okay. I'll bite.

I think Dany had the right vision, but the wrong execution. It doesn't seem likely that Lotus would thrive doing what they were doing. Did Dany hasten the onset of the current disaster? That doesn't seem debatable. Did he do this on his own? Doesn't seem likely. Let's not forget he didn't join Lotus until September, 2009. Sales had already collapsed after 2006 (I think that's right - 2005 and 2006 model years were the big years?). I'd bet that the people running things then were more than willing to guarantee him carte blanche to come on board - big budgets, big staff, etc.

So, this is what usually happens in situations like this. Bad news in sales/revenues/product development departments - sorry, but catering to a small group of fanatics isn't really a great way to run a business; how many people on this board bought their cars new? And how many people who bought a new 2005, 2006, or 2007 bought a new 2009, 2010, or 2011? Bring in a big name, known for previous successes. Promise them the moon. The problem is, they believe it. After all, everyone in senior management and on the board just wooed them by saying they are the only person who can fix the big problems. They design a dream, budgets are passed, a couple of years go by. Costs keep growing, products don't get developed on time, money is spent like water, and, you know the rest.

Some people can deal with this, and become successful, but a lot can't. Dany has blame, the board has blame, the market has blame, and we have blame.

Unfortunately, the aftermath of this isn't usually pretty. The CEO and his henchmen are fired. Product development is killed. Budgets are slashed. New management is brought in. Suppliers are scapegoated, etc. Dealers close up, cars sit on lots or are discounted, etc., etc. On paper, things look a lot better, but the damage to the brand may be irreversible; it certainly won't be fixed by putting a Lotus badge on a VW, Proton, or anything else.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Does this mean that Lotus Talk is getting rid of those car models up in the right hand corner?
Might as well put up a picture of a Hennessey up there, at least those cars DO exist.....:confused:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Okay. I'll bite.

I think Dany had the right vision, but the wrong execution. It doesn't seem likely that Lotus would thrive doing what they were doing. Did Dany hasten the onset of the current disaster? That doesn't seem debatable. Did he do this on his own? Doesn't seem likely. Let's not forget he didn't join Lotus until September, 2009. Sales had already collapsed after 2006 (I think that's right - 2005 and 2006 model years were the big years?). I'd bet that the people running things then were more than willing to guarantee him carte blanche to come on board - big budgets, big staff, etc.

So, this is what usually happens in situations like this. Bad news in sales/revenues/product development departments - sorry, but catering to a small group of fanatics isn't really a great way to run a business; how many people on this board bought their cars new? And how many people who bought a new 2005, 2006, or 2007 bought a new 2009, 2010, or 2011? Bring in a big name, known for previous successes. Promise them the moon. The problem is, they believe it. After all, everyone in senior management and on the board just wooed them by saying they are the only person who can fix the big problems. They design a dream, budgets are passed, a couple of years go by. Costs keep growing, products don't get developed on time, money is spent like water, and, you know the rest.

Some people can deal with this, and become successful, but a lot can't. Dany has blame, the board has blame, the market has blame, and we have blame.

Unfortunately, the aftermath of this isn't usually pretty. The CEO and his henchmen are fired. Product development is killed. Budgets are slashed. New management is brought in. Suppliers are scapegoated, etc. Dealers close up, cars sit on lots or are discounted, etc., etc. On paper, things look a lot better, but the damage to the brand may be irreversible; it certainly won't be fixed by putting a Lotus badge on a VW, Proton, or anything else.
:clap::up:I agree. I still rather have VW owning Lotus over a say or do whatever we want Chinese Company

1 - 20 of 29 Posts