The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the interior(black plastic)rocker mouldings off to reveal the 3 BEAUTIFUL triangular shaped pieces at either end of the frame rail cutouts. I still can't believe that Lotus covers up so much sweet stuff when they build this car.
When uncovered the frame rails in and of themselves are gorgeous,anodized aluminum with two grooves running front to back. Then there is the painted ext rocker body panel which is bonded to the frame rails adding color to the equation.
I also removed four LARGE spongy foam sound pads. Two at the forward ends of the rocker panel accesible when the black plastic rocker covers are removed and two that are behind the LH light switch panel and the RH cubby panel.
I now plan to reshape the vertical portion of the rocker covers to cover the front wheelhouse cavities and retain the cubby lip edges but will cut off and discard the entire horizontal portion. Useless weight!
Note: If you decide to explore this mod for yourself watch out for SHARP edges on the three triangular bonded pieces at either end of the frame rail cut outs. They must be filed off with both a small flat and round file!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Second mod for the week!
I finally received my PC 680 lightweight gel battery.
Great news! The battery weighs 13 lbs less, can be mounted on its side for center of gravity considerations, AND fits in the stock battery mount with NO modifications! And you don't have to use the reccomended SAE bolt on lead battery posts. You just remove the wiring harness leads at the point where they bolt to the stock battery post LEAD clamps and reattach them with the supplied S/S allen head cap screws to the standard battery posts.
:clap: :p

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
13lbs! Jeeze that's a big difference! I didn't drive my Elise for 6 days and the battery was dead the other day. I am putting a battery tender on it if I don't drive it for 3 or 4 days. Would an even smaller battery die faster? 13lbs is a big savings but I don't want to deal with the battery any more than I already have to. By the way, how much was the batt?

·
shay2nak
25,133 Posts
how much do the foam pieces weigh total? 5 lbs?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Perry, How did you get the rocker mouldings (sill covers) off? I unscrewed the single screw the other day but it seemed that it is solidly glue to the frame. I assumed it would just make a mess if I took it offf. I would appreciate pictures too. In fact I think all your mods need to get archived here for reference when other peoples cars arrive.
I think I ordered the smaller Hawker, but I can't see how this would be mounted unless there is a lip on the top or bottom of the battery for the existing clip to attach. I was expecting to fabricate a mount anyway.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rocker covers are attached at the front mechanically(two screws under the cubby rubber mat) and at the rear by an inch and a half long piece of H.D. double sided foam tape. If you apply upward pressure to the rear tip it will eventually come off(difficult) but a thin razor knife slid under and swept from side to side will make it a shorter task. The entire mid section of the rocker cover is only padded to the frame and not attached in any way. There is really no reason for Lotus to have drilled a hole in the frame for that little screw, pretty silly...

I used the Odyssey PC 680. It is very nearly the same dimension as the stock battery when laid on its side(posts at the top of the inboard side) but ends up being approx 1/2 as tall. The price was $85.98 plus shipping @ Battery Mart (800)405-2121. The stock battery mount works perfectly. I did add a small strip of foam to the outer battery mount to enhance traction on the battery itself since the new battery is fairly smooth with no indentations for the clamps to engage.

I would say the foam pieces weighed about a pound total, not much but every ounce counts on this car.

Randy,Can we get a featherweight smiley face with wings?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
adamant said:
Perry, How did you get the rocker mouldings (sill covers) off? I unscrewed the single screw the other day but it seemed that it is solidly glue to the frame. I assumed it would just make a mess if I took it offf. I would appreciate pictures too. In fact I think all your mods need to get archived here for reference when other peoples cars arrive.
I think I ordered the smaller Hawker, but I can't see how this would be mounted unless there is a lip on the top or bottom of the battery for the existing clip to attach. I was expecting to fabricate a mount anyway.
I was told they are stuck to the car using a type of double sided foam tape.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Battery Mod

Pic#1
Trunk is barren except for a towel thrown in between track days.
You can see that the normal LEAD battery terminals and clamps are discarded and the harness bolts directly to the "laid down" PC680. AND that it does in fact fit perfectly...

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts

Pic#2
This is the area that will be covered except for the three triangular bonded pieces. I will trim away everything except what will cover the gaping hole into the inner fender cavity and retain the cubby lip edge. More pics to come once completed.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts

Pic#3
My favorite part of the hidden structure, but initially VERY sharp edges before filing or sanding. You can also see where the rocker body panel is bonded to the frame rail. (nice)

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts

Pic#4
This is design and engineering excellence "form follows function".

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts

Pic#5
My horrifically expensive but equally wonderful KMS Titanium harness bar. Thanks Shinoo!

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts

Pic#6
THIS is how the interior of an Elise is supposed to look!!
I need to remove those touring pkg carpet retaining strips.
V-1 cord also visible.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts

Pic#7
A good look at how much ROOM that is really behind the seats if you are willing to live with the wonderful sounds that eminate from the engine and gearbox.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts

The Euro spec Lotus badge and the black powdercoated gas door. I also removed the rear reflectors (heavy)and temporarily painted the diffuser until I can budget a Revrie C/F unit from Shinoo @Sector 111

If you look close you can see the Audi TT mirror attached to the windshield and the GM mirror mounting lug on the passenger side next to it. Not to mention lovley Nissan Sentra parked behind!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts