The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my soft top from touring to sport. You just pull hard on the edge of the velour where it is pinched into the top rails. It comes right out.. A little too fluffy and soft for my taste. I like the spartan look and feel of a one layer top. Still fits fine.
Would have bought a 340R if it was street legal in the states..

·
Registered
592 Posts
Interesting. I think I would prefer the base top over the touring top that I am getting so that it takes up less trunk space. Is the final look the same as the base top, or does the base top have an inner liner but no insulation?

·
Registered
394 Posts
ex-M3 said:
Interesting. I think I would prefer the base top over the touring top that I am getting so that it takes up less trunk space. Is the final look the same as the base top, or does the base top have an inner liner but no insulation?
Actually, there is only an inch difference between the 2 wraped up when stored...

Adam P

·
Registered
592 Posts
Adam P said:
Actually, there is only an inch difference between the 2 wraped up when stored...

Adam P
Having never seen the two side by side this is good news. I have seen the touring top and thought it seemed bulkier than the non-touring top I had seen. But I saw them something like a year apart so it is not surprising that I am wrong. The (hopefully) slow slide into senility

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Perry,

This mod totally steals the luxury of the car!!! Just kidding. Can the mod be put back later?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like the thing can be replaced if so desired.
The top is now much easier to insert into the supplied bag.
The std top has only one layer and is not insulated at all. The touring top has two layers with a little foam attached to the inside of the velour. I think I can do an Elise WITHOUT Velour!
The top looks identical from the outside in either configuration.
One aside is that the top seems to have quit leaking at the RH front area where it used to dribble a bit(not too much though).
:p

·
Registered
543 Posts
cold blooded crowd here!:clap:
but certainly funny!!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2Bennett Audimotive in Davis, Ca. installed the Goodridge S/S brake flex line kit(@Motul). Nice hard pedal!
I then removed the two grilles on either side of the rear license plate mount, the primary exhaust heat sheilding, and removed all (3)front bumper grilles. I may reinstall new grilles when I find something that looks decent. I have always disliked the stock plastic eggcrate grilles with the cheap looking sandpaper finish.
The front LH and RH grilles can only be removed properly once the front clam is removed. If you still want to remove them this is how you do it. Remove(break off the three pointed fins on the inboard side of the grille) lift the grille out of its lower mounting hole, carefully twist and pull on the grill until the upper clam to grill mounting screw breaks out the plastic surrounding it in the upper portion of the grille. You can then CAREFULLY bend down the clam and wriggle out the upper retaining screw.
Lotus chose a piss poor method for installing the grilles.
I think that the lip on the main front CLAM opening is way too thick (deep) I will install black striping tape to visually diminish it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
For those interested in doing this mod, I can attest that the lining comes out very easily. Too easily, in fact. It's simply glued into the side rails. On mine, it was starting to come unglued in just 2 months. You could easily tug on it slightly to make it come unglued. Could you put it back later? Probably, with some careful gluing. In fact, one elisetalk member did just that, when his started to come unglued (and he didn't want to drive hours to his dealer for a repair).

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
perryeyges said:
2Bennett Audimotive in Davis, Ca. installed the Goodridge S/S brake flex line kit(@Motul). Nice hard pedal!
I then removed the two grilles on either side of the rear license plate mount, the primary exhaust heat sheilding, and removed all (3)front bumper grilles. I may reinstall new grilles when I find something that looks decent. I have always disliked the stock plastic eggcrate grilles with the cheap looking sandpaper finish.
The front LH and RH grilles can only be removed properly once the front clam is removed. If you still want to remove them this is how you do it. Remove(break off the three pointed fins on the inboard side of the grille) lift the grille out of its lower mounting hole, carefully twist and pull on the grill until the upper clam to grill mounting screw breaks out the plastic surrounding it in the upper portion of the grille. You can then CAREFULLY bend down the clam and wriggle out the upper retaining screw.
I think that the lip on the main front CLAM opening is way too thick (deep) I will install black striping tape to visually diminish it.
Pics?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
perryeyges said:
Perry;that tape adds weight!!!!!:huh: :D

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm dying to get the Revrie C/F seats, steering wheel(removable), and diffuser!!
A complete titanium exhaust system(header to tips) "will" be the ultimate upgrade though!
Shinoo If you are out there PM me on progress of the front clam access panels and engine/trunk hatch in C/F....;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
perryeyges said:
I'm dying to get the Revrie C/F seats, steering wheel(removable), and diffuser!!
A complete titanium exhaust system(header to tips) "will" be the ultimate upgrade though!
Shinoo If you are out there PM me on progress of the front clam access panels and engine/trunk hatch in C/F....;)
I got my CF engine cover and front panels back few days ago (clear coated for UV protection). I will post some pics tomorrow.

Are you coming to the GGLC party? I am thinking about going to it and if you are coming to this party I might bring my Elise so that way you can look and feel them in person.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,351 Posts
perryeyges said:
Both are available and can be ordered on our website. The leadtime is about 2-4 weeks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts