The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys need to read this:

http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=21203

Note particularly the reference to Porker GT2/GT3/Turbos. Man, I can't wait to play the role of a giant-killer (which I enjoy with moderate success in my M3).

I'm thinking stock tires on the LSS are the hot ticket until we can get some good choices in R comps here in the states, if that ever happens.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think the 48 would be classified as a road race DOT R vs. an autox DOT R, more along the lines of the Hoosier R or Pirelli. Probably good for autox on a hot day with 2 drivers. Shouldn't be hard to find a co-driver.

Jeff

·
Registered
274 Posts
The treadwear rating of the 048 is 60, quite low. It is the same as the 032, not sure if this is the hard or soft version since no distinction is made. IIRC, the hard ompound used to be 80 so this is the soft version? If this is the case, we should have a completely reasonable track/solo tire in the stock LSS tire.

I will be driving my car quite a distance (more than 1000 mi) between the dealer and home and am planning on a second set of "street" tires to be installed before-hand. Anyone else in a similar situation?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Im in a similar situation although I will only need to drive about ~400 miles home from my dealer. The thing I was most worried about was the 048's kicking up stones against the lower body panels lol. If they are like other DOT-R tires they will pick up every little thing you drive over. I guess I was less worried about wearing them because I figure with the stock alignment, highway driving, and the car being so light, it won't wear those tires to much (compared to an event). I was kinda planning on getting a set of Kuhmo's or hoosiers fairly quick anyway.

So what are you going to do about your first service? I have another dealer who is ~250 miles away but that is still a lot of miles that I wouldn't want to put on just for service. I'm really hoping Lotus will agree to let me get it done some place local.

Also, I had put up a extensive post in the autox section about measurements I had taken on one of the LSS cars at the Pitts. auto show. To sum up what I found, it looks like a 205/16 Kuhmo Ecsta V700 will fit on the front, I think a 235 will easily fit on the rear with a 1/4" spacer, the rear has a lot of clearence on the outside to the fender.

·
Registered
485 Posts
z06fun said:
it looks like a 205/16 Kuhmo Ecsta V700 will fit on the front, I think a 235 will easily fit on the rear with a 1/4" spacer, the rear has a lot of clearence on the outside to the fender.

I dont think you can run wheel spacers in stock though :confused:

·
Registered
431 Posts
With OEM spec (size, offset, etc) wheels you can run a spacer that is 1/4" or less in SCCA solo 2 stock class events, don't know about other types of events.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
z06, great comments and thanks for directing me to your thread in autox.

I'm still thinking that the Kumho's (and certainly the Hooters) will be faster than the Yoks, and would love to work out a way to run them, but only if it doesn't screw up the balance of the car.

I'd think that increasing the front from 195's to 205's would merit an increase to 235's out back, and going with slightly wider wheels if they can fit. In that regard, I came across the Speelines from UK that are being used by the Exige guys. They are 1/2" wider front and rear and are ltw magnesium. I have an email into Speedline to find out more about them, and their experience with wider tires, like a 205/235 combo.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The offsets are different from the S1 to the S2.

Speedline currently isn't making these wheels anymore. There is a special group buy going on right now, however.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just keep in mind that wheels that are not Elise OEM width will bump you out of SCCA solo2 stock class if you are planning to run there.

Frayed, if the 205's in front give too much grip compared to the rears you can also use a stiffer front sway bar. This has the added benefit of placing more weight on the inside rear tire which will reduce inside will spin tendencies if that is an issue.

I too would imagine the Kumho and Hoosiers will be faster than the 048's.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
CrashTestDummy said:
pm me some information please. I am interested.:)
If the group buy happens in a couple of months I'm in as well. I'd love to get a set of those Speedlines. Does the magnesium have to be coated/painted b/c of softness?

edit
BTW- They're good enough for Gavin Kershaw's Exige...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Should I repeat that the offsets are different between the S1 and the S2????

PS - they aren't cheap at today's exchange rate either.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
meat said:

PS - they aren't cheap at today's exchange rate either.
Glad you did- I did'nt see that. I wish they would re-release these in the right offset.:(

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
meat said:
Not only that, but the PCD is also different between the S1 and S2.

S1 and S1-Exige wheels do *not* fit the S2 and vice-versa.

Also.. Until people get their hands on the Fed-Elise (or someone checks out a 111R or S2-Exige) we're not sure if they use the same offsets as the Rover-S2's out there at the moment..

From some of the pictures I have seen of an 111R with the OZ motorsport wheels I'd say they are a little different. Toyota-based Elises seem to run slightly higher offsets (pushing the Rover-S2 OZ-motorsport wheels more to the outside if fitted..)

The Rover-based 135R with OZ wheels:

and an 111R with them (see the rear difference how far they extend compared to the 135R) from NevB here on the Forum:

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
_JD_ said:
Does the magnesium have to be coated/painted b/c of softness?
No, because magnesium *must* be sealed from the air and moistuire outside as otherwise they will corrode and weaken.

Magnesium wheels must also be X-ray checked at least once a year as they will eventuall develop stress cracks inside the wheel itself and it will shatter if still used.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Arno said:
Not only that, but the PCD is also different between the S1 and S2.
Yep - forgot to mention that.

If you could swap wheels between the S1 and S2 there would be many S1 Exiges running around with the OZ S2 wheels I bet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
235 vs. 245

Maybe I have misunderstood what's being proposed, but there have been several comments about 'upsizing' to 235's on the rear, but don't both the standard and LSS cars come with 245's on the rear? Or are you going with 235's and taller sidewalls/larger diameter? Are any size tire that will fit under the fenders legal in Solo 2?
I'm kind of thinking it's best to try the LSS setup as is. Larger tires may give more ultimate grip, but it sounds like Lotus has done a lot of work to optimize the balance with that suspension.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts