The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 2007 Exige S. We've worn out a set of Hoosiers in two week-ends!
Now I just need more power. Where to start? And in what increments? I've read lots of posts and much theorizing. All quite confusing.

Does the Gotham 260 re-flash work?
Is it worth the money?
Will it shorten the life of the motor? (8000 rev limit,most shifts at +/- 7400)
Does it need larger injectors?
Are there other re-flash alternatives?
What other mods are necessary to compliment it?
Exhausts: Whose to buy for track use?

Any recommendations welcomed.

Gordon
Charleston, SC

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Does the Gotham 260 re-flash work? Yes
Is it worth the money? Yes
Will it shorten the life of the motor? (8000 rev limit,most shifts at +/- 7400) More than your SC already?
Does it need larger injectors? No
Are there other re-flash alternatives? No
What other mods are necessary to compliment it? Weight loss
Exhausts: Whose to buy for track use? Lightest one :shrug: No HP gains from them
The Gotham also comes with excellent customer support ;).

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Regarding exhaust....2bular exhausts are hand made in England....Jim can spec the internal diameter to correspond with S/C power

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Regarding exhaust....2bular exhausts are hand made in England....Jim can spec the internal diameter to correspond with S/C power
+1 - 2bulars (jim) have the the BEST sound of any exhaust, and you can spec the sound to be as loud or quite as you want based on silencer sizes. and go diffuser or grill exit as well.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Real power comes from a turbo ;)

The Gotham tune will get you a few more horses, talk to Charlie about what else he recommends to get additional power but the base tune doesn't require other parts to make it work properly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HP

Thanks for the advice...I'm still "all ears". I love a challenge and I see that this is where this is headed! I may hold off until LOG 29 where I will have an opportunity to speak with lots of tuners and owners.

G.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
yeah it would cost more money, and would only be a little improvement in power and less weight. but its a good platform to start on to improve. thats the way im going, but as im figuring out, it is very $$$. but if you got the money the honda motor is so much better then the toyota

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
You should also look at the threads on weight-trimming. Small gains maybe, but generally low cost.

·
Registered
143 Posts
yeah it would cost more money, and would only be a little improvement in power and less weight. but its a good platform to start on to improve. thats the way im going, but as im figuring out, it is very $$$. but if you got the money the honda motor is so much better then the toyota
In this case yes it is true...but you also have to consider what the Toyota Motor is doing with a much smaller displacement. That Honda motor has 0.6 liters on the Toyota so of course it's a better platform. Honda to Toyota though I'll take Toyota all day (I am a little biased :D). Comparing apples to oranges though...Honda NSX max hp is around 500-600 hp. Toyota Supra max hp 1000+ hp. I know which I would take if I was going for raw power :D

Anyway, good luck with your car. It sounds like it's going to be amazing!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
i searched and found a few nsx's with 1000hp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcXrpKZRsB0:shrug:
In this case yes it is true...but you also have to consider what the Toyota Motor is doing with a much smaller displacement. That Honda motor has 0.6 liters on the Toyota so of course it's a better platform. Honda to Toyota though I'll take Toyota all day (I am a little biased :D). Comparing apples to oranges though...Honda NSX max hp is around 500-600 hp. Toyota Supra max hp 1000+ hp. I know which I would take if I was going for raw power :D

Anyway, good luck with your car. It sounds like it's going to be amazing!

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yup, thats Danny Young's Nsx. I know the guy personally and he has put a lot of R&D and dumped a lot of money into his setup.
His car also won 1st overall in the Sport Compact Car Challenge a few years back. :coolnana:

i searched and found a few nsx's with 1000hp.

A 2JZGTE also needs to beefed up a bit on the head bolts, main bolts, connecting rod bolts, and a thicker gasket if you plan to put down 1000+ hp on the Toyota motor. Its the short block that don't need to be changed or prepped but everything else needs to be bumped up.

However, not all Toyota motors are created equal. When it comes to the 2ZZ-GE motor, a bottom end rebuild is a must if you plan on making 450+ rwhp all day everyday.
Honda to Toyota though I'll take Toyota all day (I am a little biased :D). Comparing apples to oranges though...Honda NSX max hp is around 500-600 hp. Toyota Supra max hp 1000+ hp. I know which I would take if I was going for raw power :D

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'd love to know what the BMEP of the 500bhp toyota - 280 ish bhp/litre is lots.

But I guess when you look back to the little F1 tubos - 1.5l hitting 1500bhp. Still room for improvement ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my 2007 Exige S. We've worn out a set of Hoosiers in two week-ends!
You are kidding, right? That's what I am getting with viper and one of the reasons I am looking at Lotus. Not that I would be so cash strapped but it really sucks seeing blowing $2k on a set of tires every 8 hours on racetrack. Well the other and main reason is that viper is too heavy for cali racetracks... It was most happy over in Europe at Grand Prix circuits but these local tracks are just tad too small. Great for Lotus world though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts