The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of some fuel, I pulled into my local 7-Eleven the other day with my 14 year old daughter. As usual, people took notice as they heard me rolling in with the typical dropped jaw look. :rolleyes: After pulling up to the pump & shutting the car off people started pouring out of the store to take a look at my Evora. This happens a lot, but I've just never posted about it before. The only thing different this time is that there was a brand new Ferrari 458 spyder parked one stall over that no one ever noticed. :D Even when the owner of the 458 came out later, he couldn't stop looking either as he walked to his car. He started to get a disappointed look on his face after realizing no one was paying his car any attention. I was preoccupied with pumping gas half the time, but my daughter sitting in the car the whole time gets a kick out of the attention & said that no one looked at the 458 the whole time we were there. Once finished I do the Lotus shuffle to get into the car, start the engine (in Sport mode of course) ;) and pull out while keeping the revs up for everyone to hear how weak that 458 will sound in comparison once he drives away. I'm not really a rub it in your face kind of guy, but it just felt really good to be an Evora owner with an awesome exhaust a little more than usual at that time!

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
My wife said she gets a "tingle" when riding in my car since I installed the Plack exhaust.

and that is always a good thing :up:

·
Vendor
2007 Chili Red Elise
361 Posts
My wife said she gets a "tingle" when riding in my car since I installed the Plack exhaust.

and that is always a good thing :up:
haha, that is a good problem to have! :clap:

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Not to be a party pooper but no matter what you do to an Evora and believe me I have done more to mine that anybody else in here , Our cars will never sound like a 458. Maybe you've never heard a 458 revving over 7k but it's like nothing else. There are few cars that sound better than a 458 but Evora is not one of them.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to be a party pooper but no matter what you do to an Evora and believe me I have done more to mine that anybody else in here , Our cars will never sound like a 458. Maybe you've never heard a 458 revving over 7k but it's like nothing else. There are few cars that sound better than a 458 but Evora is not one of them.
"M-yeah...we're going to have to agree to disagree here." :) I know I never stated that the Evora sounded "like" a 458. I'm sure anything revving over 7k sounds wicked...I know my dremel does. I've been to a 458 Ferrari Challenge race at Circuit of the Americas if that counts. Yes they do sound good, & I'm sure they were maxing the RPMS out, but they also have a much louder/aggressive exhaust than the street legal variants.

A 458 would be hard pressed to get above 7k in a gas station parking lot, & the Plack absolutely, positively does sound more aggressive & louder than the 458 at normal street driving speeds. Sounds better than the 599 as well I can now confirm as of last week. Regardless of sound, my car got all the attention even while it was totally silent. :)

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Lol.... Nice response. I love the 458. My fave car ever... But yeah the evora is gets way attention.. On the west side, Ferrari drives by and even children wouldn't notice if not for the fire truck paint job.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol.... Nice response. I love the 458. My fave car ever... But yeah the evora is gets way attention.. On the west side, Ferrari drives by and even children wouldn't notice if not for the fire truck paint job.
I love the 458 as well; it's an amazing car & quite frankly the only car I would consider buying to replace the Evora. I've even had the pleasure of sitting behind the wheel in one (see pic below).

I know I've mentioned this before in other threads, but a good friend of mine is the service manager at Boardwalk Ferrari in Plano. His name is Steve and is actually a former Elise owner & member of LT that goes by the handle SAFE4NOW. Not only is he the service manager for Ferrari here locally, but he is also solely in charge of their Ferrari Challenge racing team. Great guy, I met him due to being a former Audi owner...he owned the local Audi forum before handing the reins over to Audi Club North America just over a year ago. His daily driver is a V10 S6 after he sold (tried selling to me) his Imola Yellow RS6, which was only 1 of 3 known in the U.S.

Getting a little off-topic (I started this thread after all): To go with another recent thread, he picked me up in an R8 once--just before he got the Ferrari job--when he was GM of a renowned local indy shop that serviced all European makes & models. I asked him what vehicle he preferred between the V10 R8 & Gallardo since they're the same chassis & engine & he got to drive both on a regular basis. His immediate response was "Hands down, the R8...it's a much better made car." Yes, the engine is slightly detuned from the Gallardo for sales purposes only since Audi owns Lambo & the Gallardo is much more expensive. However the R8 easily becomes quicker than the Gallardo with a simple ECU reflash that removes the limiters. Personally, I prefer the styling of the Gallardo more in terms of aesthetics, but that's just me.

Anyway, here is the pic of the 458 cockpit I took with my iphone. I apologize for the lack of wide angle. No, I didn't steal this pic from the internet like I did the one of Lumbergh. ;) This is my personal pic, & you can see my big ugly hands with iphone reflecting just above the prancing horse, fwiw. Steve brought it out to an Audi event & gave me the walkthrough. He prefers driving the ugly to me Ferrari FF in terms of sheer power though, & as he puts it the "FF" stands for "F__g Fast." 458 looks far & away much better though IMO.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I think the great thing about the Evora is
Price of entry for most of us was between $60 and $85K and we are being compared to cars that are $200K and up :eek:

The Evora is punching far above its weight and doing pretty good, thank you very much.

While I agree some of the Ferraris, Lambos. McLarens, Porsches, and Aston beat the Evora in some ways, but the whole package and price point are difficult to match.

On a side note my wife and I had diner at my friend Jean-Paul's. He wanted to show off his new 59 Lotus Elite :UK:. he also has a Exige cup racer, Ferrari 458and Ferrari FF ( yes, he lives in a different world then me) He took us out to his garage and my wife started looking at his 458. I walked over to her, as a joke, and said I was working out a "trade" with Jean-Paul. She told me "Why would you take a step backward into that car" apparently she preferred the Evora over the 458 :up:
I told her aftere the trade I could sell it and buy 3 or more Evoras :clap:

Still would love to have a 458 or a McLaren. Love the Lotus but those cars have mystery about them I want to explore.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I really like the sound of my Evora with Larini and delete pipe, sounds so much better than stock. I think I might give the Plack a shot and compare. Online sound clips are sometimes hard to judge.

For my money the best I have heard is a Maserati GranTurismo MC in sport mode. One of the best stock exhausts.

Reactions: rbarbetta1978

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had the Lotus sport exhaust and Larini 3rd-cat delete, which did sound good, but it is not anything close to the Plack exhaust. I just installed mine yesterday.

Here are my thoughts on the comparison - My Lotus/Larini was a huge jump from the stock setup; however, I thought it lacked a lot of top end - 5k - 7k rpm strength. It seemed that at high revs; the engine noise took over the exhaust note. Also the original start up wasn't as aggressive as I would have liked.

The Plack addressed both of those issues and the tone is much deep; similar to a 12c style tone. My favorite is the start-up, which is much better. I must say that some of the pops are serious, which doesn't both me.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I had the Lotus sport exhaust and Larini 3rd-cat delete, which did sound good, but it is not anything close to the Plack exhaust. I just installed mine yesterday.

Here are my thoughts on the comparison - My Lotus/Larini was a huge jump from the stock setup; however, I thought it lacked a lot of top end - 5k - 7k rpm strength. It seemed that at high revs; the engine noise took over the exhaust note. Also the original start up wasn't as aggressive as I would have liked.

The Plack addressed both of those issues and the tone is much deep; similar to a 12c style tone. My favorite is the start-up, which is much better. I must say that some of the pops are serious, which doesn't both me.
What he said.
I had the same setup. Kept on putting off the Plack exhaust, Lord knows why. Paid roughly double for the Lotus sports exhaust and Larini decat. Plack cost half as much and delivers twice the "bang".

tomorrow is going to be nice in the metro St. Louis area. I will try to capture some sound clips while driving.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ditto to the above. There is nothing like the Plack exhaust. I have yet to fire my car up with anyone who is a car guy/gal around that didn't start laughing with approval immediately. Just thinking about how much it adds to the enjoyment of an already amazing car makes me have a big stupid grin on from ear to ear.

Thanks again Plack!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts