The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted today on elises.co.uk - not much new:

" EVO Magazine claim the S3 will be shown at the Geneva motorshow in Feb 2004. Apparently it's going to use some of the Aston Martin technology and move the chassis on a bit and make it more modular (shared between models). As expected there will be two verisons, one fro Europe and another for the USA. The Toyota 4-pot still seems favourite to power it but there are still rumours of a V6. Either way it will feature Lotus tuning and expect >200bhp and a heavier car than the outgoing model. "

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
That may be true, but I still expect the full details to be announced earlier than that. The reason for that is that I expect it will take some time between announcement of options and delivery of the vehicle. The customers will need *some* time to decide which options they'd like, which color, etc. I for one will not make that committment until I know exactly WHAT it is I'm buying (paying a refundable deposit is one thing, but actually ordering the car is another!). Followed by normal manufacturing times, then shipping times, and it seems that if those details are not available until February, then it'll be tight (impossible?) to get the first batch of cars here by April/May.

Somewhere else on this board I read a rumor that details will be available in November...that seems more reaslitic.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
The time line for Infiniti (made in Japan) was to place the order the month before they were bulit (let them know what to plan for). A month before they shipped out and another for delivery- total lead time 3 months. Feb. may be the offical car show unveiling. But the word out of Lotus USA (for now) is that full details will be available around Nov.

Matt- when we place the order there asking for another $1k, but its not until we take delivery that the car is ours. If there was another option we really wanted most likey we could swap spots in line with someone who wants 'our' car- worst case we'd go to the end of the line. :eek:

btw- have you got a letter from the new GM?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I got that letter. For those of you who didn't, here's an excerpt:

"We anticipate that we will be in touch with you regarding color and option choices sometime around the end of 2003. Currently, we are expecting delivery of the first Lotus Elises at the start of the second quarter 2004."

This makes sense, considering that the LA show occurs during the first weekend of January. Frankfurt is in September, and Tokyo is in October. If LA is the debut, I will definitely make arrangements to be there for the press conference--good excuse to visit my parents :).

I'm tempted to constantly call the GM's cell number, now that I have it, asking, "are we there yet?"

By the way, I thought the Geneva show was in March. I was at the 2003 show March 8th and in the area for the 2002 show around the same time last year. I'm sure the S3 will be there for the Europe debut, but I'd bet it will in LA first.

--
Dan

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Yes, I received that letter as well. I was never told about the additional $1k required at any future point. I don't mind having to do that, it's just new to me.

As for releasing full details at the end of 2003, if they do that, they might as well just display the car at the first show they can since the info will all be public at that point anyway. I wonder what the chances are that they'd unveil the US-spec car at the San Francisco auto show in November? Probably pretty slim I admit. I think there's also an Orange county show the same weekend, and of course there's LA in January, which probably makes the most sense.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My deposit receipt mentions $1k due when order is placed...

The only international shows in the US that car makers/press really care about are LA & Detroit. I can imagine Lotus providing details in November--hell, I can even imagine Lotus inviting select automotive press to Lotus USA or to Hethel to abuse a test mule in November. Auto shows are not necessarily used for unveiling any secrets. Take the Cayenne, for example. Concept cars are a different story.

I would think Lotus would want to officially unveil the Elise to the general public with a big bang. The LA show draws over a million people--one of the biggest in the world (#3?)--and the international press go there in droves. That would mean plenty of time for the car to make front pages of magazines before the cars start to even show up at the dealers in April. Any info in November would just entice people to go to the show to look at it in person instead of drooling over a picture.

Then again, Lotus might be closer to finished than is led on, appearing in Frankfurt first in September!

--
Dan

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I haven't yet received a letter from Lotus. When did you guys get yours ?

This is great info, thanks !

Based upon what I was told by the Lotus USA gus at this year's LA show, the LA 2004 show will be the new U.S. Elise's "hard launch", and it sounds like they are still on track for that.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
mikester said:
I haven't yet received a letter from Lotus. When did you guys get yours ?
The letter was from the new GM of Bentley Silicon Valley (formerly Ferrari of Los Gatos), and was sent to those who have deposits at that dealership. It was NOT from Lotus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts