The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DAMN THAT CAR IS HOT!!!! i couldn't even concentrate on the Elises because the gorgeous blue morgan was staring at me. 340hp and 2400lbs...not too shabby.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
From Dan Neil's article in the LA Times:

"Morgan Aero 8: Though nothing alike, the Morgan Aero 8 and Elise have a lot in common. Both are the product of proud but struggling British companies. Both have taken ages to pass certification for import into the United States. The Aero 8, with its cut-down doors and ash-wood coach frame, was troublesome to crash certify and is only now ready for importation.

Both are built on a riveted and glued aluminum chassis providing exceptionally low weight: The Morgan Aero 8, with a BMV 4.4-liter engine behind its prodigious beak, weighs a mere 2,200 pounds. With the engine producing 325 horsepower, the Aero 8 has a weight-to-power ratio of about 6.7 pounds per horsepower (British car enthusiasts live for this statistic). Accoding to the company, the Aero 8 can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in about 4.5 seconds and has a top speed of 160 mph - a rate at which your tweed cap will surely go flying.

And both are unique. The Morgan, with its extravagantly retro styling, rolled fenders and sweeping lines, is a throwback to car design between the wars. A kind of charming antediluvianism is Morgan's trademark. The company still builds its car bodies on English ash-wood frames. This is the last year for the Plus 8, which still is built with the sliding pillar front suspension that goes back to the days when the company made three-wheelers.

The Aero 8, designed by Charles Morgan, grandson of the founder, and race engineer Chris Lawrence, now retired, certainly has the oddest face of any sports car. Cobbled together from the best available bits and pieces, the Aero 8 uses headlamps from the Volkswagen New Beetle. When these are fitted into the fenders they look cross-eyed. And yet the British have come to love their strabismus-afflicted sports car. Morgan owners in their Aero 8s descend en masse on Le Mans for the 24-hour race every year.

Want to make a statement at the tennis club? Morgan has your car."

No photo with the article.

·
Registered
963 Posts
How much and when is it coming? What dealers? Photos anywhere on the web?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks for the links! A little too retro for my tastes though.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

Overheard from a Lotus employee yesterday-
Morgan has a great booth, which is good because it hides the POS cars

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think you'll need to budget $150K+ for these babies *and* there's a 2+ year waiting list as they only build a handful each year.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think it retails for 50-60k pounds and they only build 200/year. I heard the wait can be up to 4 years. I find it hard to believe they can sell that many. One cool thing, they let you pick any body and interior color you want (thousands of choices), so the COM can expand their domain.

Here is a link to a US morgan importer
http://www.morgancars-usa.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts